Automobilista 2 V1.3.5.1 Officially RELEASED - Now Updated to v1.3.5.2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 6, 2022.

1. MrTulip

MrTulip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

A good question. If that is real porpoising and not some other effect or bug, it could be that the dry tyres are too stiff by pressure or by their structure compared to the wets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

What track , car , time of day , session , conditions ?
    To get any kind of answer to a question like that you need to give more information .
    I have been suffering frame drops in certain conditions in the previous build but have not tested the latest one yet . My fear is that as this wonderful SIM gets more complex after each major update it becomes less accessible for people like me on mid/low end hardware , fingers crossed that's not the case as upgrading at the moment isn't an option for me .

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Or the car is just optimized suspension wise for the dry tires.

These cars are highly adjustable and follow a quite unique type of race vehicle concept, so it doesn't have to be a bug, just because a phenomenon shows up. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. MrTulip

MrTulip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And indeed in real life some cars suffer from porpoising much more than others, and differently depending on their setups. Dynamics of the phenomenon in RL are subtle and varying. It is really nice to see this level of dynamics in AMS2 too. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

I can't make any definitive statement what the cause is ingame exactly though, like mentioned. It's definetly not certain, that this is a purely aerodynamically induced effect like in real life and can certainly also be track-undulation-related to high speed.

Needs more field testing probably, maybe also to reduce it for the wets, because it's looking quite severe obviously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

"It's half a mystery but not really assured to be the "same kind of porpoising" (!!), we face in real life, but in the end the car actually does it in some way. These wet tires feature a softer carcass though, so this could be one explanation why it's provoking it, of course. (The dry tires are stiffer and help the suspension to do its job properly/better on a critical level)[/QUOTE]"

Thankyou @CrimsonEminence. Ok so about the wet tires, that was what I was hoping you'd say, after a very small test last night and a proper one just now this morning I can happily confirm the JCW Mini is now faster on all weather tires in the wet than on slicks. However the GT1 Merc is still faster on hard slicks in the wet than on wets (for a second I even thought it was worse). As for the F-Ultimate Gen 2, i've got a few more tests to run to try and figure out whats going on there, I'll get back to you in a bit! Cheers! Will also try and test Carts on wets & slicks if i get time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CrimsonEminence

Yeah, we're getting there. let's see the slick-in-wet situation as still "work in progress".

• Like Like x 6
  8. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes sure, I kinda figure making all the wets (global) less rain sensitive is kinda of a a band aid on a broken leg as there are lots of cars where the tires work correctly, so my worry is that by making it global it might now overly offset the cars with wet tires that work.

Anyway, after further testing I can tell you that the CARTs (gen 2, but pretty sure its same for all) are still the same story as the GT1's, no change!

(I do all testing for this around Silverstone national btw, as its a short track so does'nt take ages to get 3 consistent laps in per tire set)

Also on the F-Ultimate bounce situation, here's two things I was wondering about and after further testing can confirm. 1. Take the ride height all the way up on the rear with wet tires and guess what? Problem solved! Mucjh less bouncy and not grounding out, so sounds like we're on to something with them being spongier tires. Now heres the really interesting part! Take ride heights back to defaults but this time increase tire pressures all the way and..... Its a little better but not much, but theres more! The front tires inflate to 19.00PSI, the rears, only 18.85PSI !!! I can't off the top of my head think of any other cars in the sim that dont let you inflate or deflate to the same levels front or back, but 18.85 is as high as they'll go on the rears with this car, hmm, interesting. could this 0.25 be the issue maybe?

Anyway hope that helps, but I gotta go as I only currently work one day a week running an all afetrnoon jam session, and that day is today, so I gotta go prep and start hauling some amps around. Cheers!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. RDG

RDG Active Member

Just tried the Ultimate Gen 2 and hats off to the guys at Reiza for doing an amazing job!
    The audio is great, much better than the old Gen 1 sounds, the LCD looks great and is very useful: don't need the UI anymore and no more distracting bouncy RPM bar, the handling and force feedback were already great and are now superb! Also the ERS system is a great addition to the sim.

I dare to say this is a much better car than the RSS Hybrid 2022 in AC, which is saying a lot. I'm fairly sure in saying this is the best modern F1 car I've ever driven in any sim.

I never really gelled with the gen 1 for some reason, always found the handling to be a bit "off", but that one also feels great now. Any chance of that also getting a new LCD and proper Pirelli rubber?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

Changes like that have a good reason so no worries. Like mentioned, it takes time. Don't worry too much, that is the job of the team! :)
    Higher ride height is recommendable for wet driving in general. But yeah, when the car bottoms out frequently it will also induce bumpyness. (no matter if aero or bottoming related)

It's not the cause no.

11. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

Every new release is a little xmas.
    Just thx REIZA!
    Go ahead with this way!
    :) :) :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I already did in an other thread. But that is in the beta forum.
    That said, I just asked if there are more people with frame drops. A simple yes or no will do.
    but as you asked,
    Gen2 F1 2022, lots of tracks, 19 AI and me makes 20 cars. Sunny, 14:00 hours. Dry track.
    Most settings set to medium as I run in 1440p triple.

13. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Not yet. inc rain, day (does not mean its not happening, elsewhere)
    EDIT YES just checked video details later

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  14. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Wow, the Stock cars really are absolutely amazing! Really great handling. The backside does seem to break out easy so you do have to be careful with the throttle. I increased rear toe in and preload and lowered the power ramp degrees a bit, which reduces the issue.

However, on my t300 wheel there is an annoying vibration in the steering rack. I used to have this when the game was just released, but after some FFB updates this disappeared. Now it is back and it is only with this car that I have the issue. When I try the 2019 stock car, this vibration is absent. Could be just my wheel, or the t300 in general that has this issue?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Sorry but a simple yes or no solves nothing does it ?
    Everyone experiences frame drops but you can't possibly troubleshoot a problem without the relevant details .
    But since you ask , yes .

16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Thanks. I just wanted to know if it something in my system which causes this. But if there other players do see FPS drops, then I know it is not only me. That was all I needed. Perhaps I wrote it somehow a bit rude. Not intended by all means.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Thiago Oliveira

Thiago Oliveira New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, anyone else getting the engine sound atenuated when using any onboard/bonnet camera? As of this last update on some cars like the Mclaren gt3 the sound is so muffled it is reminding me the old gran turismo vacuum days.

18. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

No worries , will test your scenario this afternoon and let you know what results I get .

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The dry tires are modeled after their real life counterparts including their optimal pressures. In RL the teams are using less rear pressure in the rear than the front along with it being a slightly different tire, so the pressure ranges are also slightly askew.

With regards to adding pressure. This affects the center of the tire and adjusts the contact patch size under load. For the dry model it is rather soft to allow the tread to dig into the tarmac, whereas the sidewalls provide most of the stiffness the tires need under loading. Increasing pressure makes the center of the tire less sponge and will have an effect on deflection, but not that much.

The suspension is indeed modeled for dry conditions as well and considering how sensitive the cars are, setup changes are recommended for wet conditions. That goes with most cars in game.

Ultimately (haha) we have a wet tire model that doesnt match the dry setup but its been observed and a more comprehensive solution is forthcoming. The solutions include opening up the pressure range to reduce wet tire deflection, as well as looking at the wet tire itself to make it better and more aligned with the dry model and default setup.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Not sure if this is an in-game typo but my game version says V1.3.5.0 on the main screen, not 1.3.5.1??

It seems I have the 1.3.5.1 content, but the version number in-game doesn't match.

• Agree Agree x 1