1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 2, 2022.

1. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm currently a triple user and the halo does not bother me at all. However, instead of making the halo transparent, why not allow it to be completely removed?

I understand the halo is a trademark of the modern era and they are extremely important to safety, but that only applies to the real world.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Because making only the centre bar transparent (you can still see it, but also see "through" it) is a minimal diversion from realism considering that our eyes work differently in a 3D world versus what we are seeing on a flat screen. Apparently VR users don't have a problem, which makes sense given how human eyes and the human brain works.

OF COURSE, if you prefer to block your view of the road and opponents in front of you unnaturally, it would be an option, not a mandatory feature. At least I have only seen suggestions for it to be an OPTION here in the forums.

3. sgsfabiano

I think I need english lessons, because once again I see someone quoting me but the reply barely addresses what I said...

I did not say the "no halo" should be mandatory. What I said is that instead of the OPTIONAL transparent halo we had an OPTIONAL "no halo".

The halo is ugly and has no purpose in sim racing other than making people recognize the virtual car with the real car.

But like I said, I dont mind having the halo on, but if people want to get it out of the way disabling it makes much more sense than making it transparent....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You understand English well. I completely disagree with your point, which is why I replied with the words that I did.

I also do not support removing roofs, roof pillars or wind screens from closed-top cars, even though it would often be more pleasant to drive cars with those in the sim without the visual blockages. That is a different category than an obstacle directly in your vision that in real life you can look "through" or "around" without much difficulty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sgsfabiano

I fail to see your logic/rationale.

If IRL (and VR) the halo is not noticed at all, how can making it transparent be more in line than making it not render at all?

The second approach is much more realistic than the first... you know, with no halo rendered the user will see what he would see irl (or rather not see - the halo), while with transparent halo the user will definitely see a unrealistically bizarre transparent bar right in front of his view.

If I'm not mistaken, AMS1 used to have the halo as an optional feature, just like I'm describing it to you.

Anyway, enough of drama over such a silly feature.

• Like Like x 1
  6. robillard3381

robillard3381 Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The vertical part of the halo will disappear in VR or IRL, but not the horizontal part, that's why a transparent vertical part is way more realistic.
    Everything visual is not needed in simracing, you still can ride with only the road in front of you and no 3D parts of the vehicle. Removing parts because they are not necessary in simracing is not a valid argument.
    The best could be 3 options: full halo, mainly for VR users, transparent vertical part for most peoples, and no halo for the ones who prefer to remove it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The vertical bar is only a problem at banked tracks like daytona (irl that is). This is why indycar has the aeroscreen. Obvs not a track for f1, but this will be a problem with the mc tubarao if it comes to ams2

[​IMG]

8. sgsfabiano

See, F-Ultimate without the halo is great. With a transparent halo it would look lame like the Codemasters game.

However, look at the beauty of these side mirrors. They are pointing to the back of the car, and we can even see the rear wings and rear tyres!!!

AMS2 might be prettier, but AMS1 still feels much more like a proper sim. Yeah yeah, AMS2 has more complex physics and tyre models and stuff, but the game is missing so much from the former title...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Ah, stop trying, no use. If it's implemented by Reiza in the very way you showed, no one will see it as an issue, but as it's a suggestion by someone from the community, it would definitely take from everyone's enjoyment of the game if you enjoyed it more, the only reason being some completely inconsistent and vague notion of what "realism" is (which is surprisingly perfectly aligned with the status quo of the sim).

If there weren't any additional driving aids already available for the sim, forums would explode after suggesting to implement these, too.

No, I'm not trying to gain traction for the particular features I find desirable (I recognize these are not demanded by a significant enough amount of people atm), just expressing my frustration about the one-dimensional and hyper-conservative way every feature designed to improve the game experience gets debated here by some people.

10. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Following the logic of some, here some unrealistic things that should be removed ASAP:

- cams other than cockpit. Ever saw a F1 driver installed on the bonnet or floating in the air behind the car ?
    - racing line. I've yet to drive on a real world circuit and see a floating racing line
    - floating names over driver cars in MP
    - gamepad

• Like Like x 1
  11. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. :)
    Next step to make a sim ultra realistic would be to design it so that it can only played on a motion rig with either triple screen or VR and with the exact same wheel & pedals used in the car you're driving (eg: modern F1 cars can only be driven if you're using modern F1 wheel & pedals, cars with stick shifter can only be driven if you're using wheel & pedals & stick shifter with manual clutch). :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, to some degree Reiza, or any other sim-developer, has to stay true to real life, tho. If in real life racers aren't hindered by the vertical beam of the halo, then it should be a toggleable option to hide that beam for monitors, etc. Also I agree they must not stray too afar from unrealistic options or features. Other camera's, floating names, gamepads, racinglines, no damage, etc are so old its kinda mandatory. Althrough I wonder why people would play a niche racing sim with a gamepad, but okay. Anyway Reiza could take these 'features' out and make it proper like it should be. I think some features like no damage-option do really hinder building up experience, and how to race, etc for newcomers in MP, as an example. Yesterday I had such a huge **** show where we had 22 people, and half the first lap everyone went offroad, crashed, and all that. People tend to do the easy way out aka no damage, no nothing, and never learn to race properly. Unrealistic features? Ok to me. Realistic features? Even better. Fantasy features like Halo spaceship as official DLC in Flight Sim? Not ok to me.

13. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What are you talking about? You do realize IndyCar has a halo + a screen = aeroscreen.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. FS7

Lots of reasons: not enough money for a wheel (even a basic set of wheel & pedals like G29 can be extremely expensive depending on where you live), lack of space, physical disability, compatibility, ease of use, convenience.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I always ask myself too why one would play AMS2 with a gamepad instead of a wheel and pedals, but then I realize that I play Flight Simulator with a gamepad, whereas others use a HOTAS... ;)

16. sgsfabiano

VIRTUAL MIRROR! People crave for realism, but accept this instead of proper side mirrors for open wheelers lol

Here is one feature I've been complaining since day 1 but so far from the feedback it seems to be such a complex matter to solve it is unlikely to be addressed anytime soon (if ever).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Maybe because people like that toi...

18. FS7

If I had triple screen or VR I probably could use only side mirrors, but since I'm poor and have only single screen then I have to rely on virtual mirror.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. sgsfabiano

Which is absolutely fine.

What I meant is that some people argue that "no halo" would not be realistic while things factually unreal such as virtual mirrors or side mirrors that not only cannot be adjusted but also point to nowhere are already in the game. F1 cars up to 2016 did not have halo, yet making it transparent is "more realistic"...

Makes no sense. But again, I said I would not talk about it anymore yet I did. So I'll stop ranting about this from now on for real.

20. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Virtual mirrors and removing the halo support beam are still in a different category to your suggestion.

AMS2's mirrors are completely non-functional in game with many setups, but in real life those mirrors would be fully functional.
    Just as the halo support beam can (arguably) hinder your vision in game, in a way that it wouldn't in real life.

Your suggestion on the other hand was to alter the aero-wash physics because it's too hard to pass in some categories which is counter-realistic both in game and in real life.

Can you see the difference?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1