1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

A 200% scale will indeed double the amount of damage for a certain contact and thus allow you to see more of the game's damage modelling at work, but it is also more hardcore in terms of the care everybody must have. It is more realistic but also perhaps something that not all drivers will enjoy if it becomes the default (i know, they could lower the scale). Basically, I need to try 200% scale damage lobbies more often and gauge people's reactions to it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

LOL.. Still I bet AMS2 at 200% is better than iracing standard damage... :D
    Run over a kerb with iRacing and you get a fender bender in return...

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

yes
    Logic.

4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When the pit crew make a mistake, they should do this animation, instead of just more time added to the stop:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

It's a fair point, but surely 100% is more logical to depict the most realistic level. The default can still be half of that if it's more comfortable for the masses.

If I saw 200% without being in the know, I'd presume it was an accelerated level, above realistic (like 2 x tire wear)

• Agree Agree x 13
  6. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would’ve thought 100% = realistic damage

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

if you put a 100% damaged car into a car compactor, how much damage will it be then?
    :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah me too, seems the most logical.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

200% is probably the most realistic overall in simulating the fragility of bodywork and suspension but I'm not sure if 100% would handle engines and stuff better (eg a full boost Formula Classic lasts for the about 2 or 3 laps it should on 100%, but probably breaks too fast on 200)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Seeing as the thread seems to have some good diuscussion on damage, and also its one of the topics presented in the dev update, I think this may be of interest to some folks here.

I've just found out that my 2nd ever article has been published on Racedepartment. I wrote it before the Dev update or release candidate so I was very happy to see it focused on in the dev update.

Anyway the article does use AMS2 as an example (as its got some great damage features!), so I'd love to hear what you folks think in the discussion either on RD, here or both, especially on the subject of sausage kerbs but also in general. Cheers! Damage! Pros, Cons & Paradoxes

• Like Like x 2
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Engine heating/wear, gearbox, clutch damage, brakes, so the wear specific damage types are mechanical failure department and not affected by the damage scale.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Shriukan

What Crimson said.

13. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So what does 200% mean? Unrealistic damage? :)

The uncertainty on this issue makes me think my suggestion of an explanatory note in the UI or a revision of the scaling is worth considering.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To me 200% damage is much more realistic, but don't get me wrong its not perfect (yet), but more real to me than set at 100%. Race cars are pretty damn delicate really. Things like suspension struts and arms can take tremendous tollerance if the pressure is applied in the direction its designed to take, but because they are designed to be as strong as possible in that respect, but as light as possible, there will be much less strength if taken in a direction its not designed for, much more so than a road car.
    Imagine a road car lightly strikes/brushes a barrier at say 25mph and the strike is around the front wheel area, whilst the wheel is slightly turned (so just protruding from the body work), its gonna knock the wheel striaght, damage you're alloy and probably dent the wing some, but you'll probably be able to limp it home. In a race car it would probably knacker the steering/suspension arm and totally ruin the wing due to thinner lighter panels and the above reasons. Does that make sense? Sorry, probably not the best explaination in the world, and this is just going on what ive seen of racing videos and on the street.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

In a nutshell: 100% is realistic, but in the same way that the F1 games give "realistic" damage. It's punishing, but forgiving in equal measure to prevent too much frustration. 200% is realistic. In the same way that BeamNG or adjacent sims give realistic damage. If you tap a wall at say, Azure on 100% you'll probably get away with it with either nothing or minor damage, but on 200% you'll understand how Leclerc ended up crashing onto pole there last year despite only giving the inner wall a little love tap

Heavy crashes aren't much different between the two because they'd mess your day right up eitherway, but it's the lighter stuff that really shows how brutal 200% is in comparasion

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  16. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So 200% should be 100%, and 100% should be 50%.

Can't see the logic where 200% is the closest to reality while 100% is not, unless there is a variable in the game code which use these as face value for whatever reason. But then I believe this goes against UX/UI, since it goes against any common reasoning.

Anyway, from the massive amount of AMS2 quirks, this is one of the least relevant.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Shriukan

The reasoning is mostly that the damage scale since release has been 100%, so the devs had 2 choices. Keep the current scale default at 100% or shift the scale towards more damage per hit and make 200% the new 100% (which would then make the 25% scale actually 12,5%)

18. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

...which would make more sense IMO, 200% is confusing...

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

The problem is the damage model itself, that is not just an AMS2 issue, but all other soo called "realistic-hardcore-simulators" have limited damage model.

The sim that get closer to be realistic is Beam.NG, but is very limited as a sport simulation (or even as a game) because of hardware limitations.

With AMS2, some cars damage model feels more realistic at 100%, others at 200%, but yet there are somethings that aren't even simulated yet (as suspension damage by kerbs or even tire damage). I will not even talk about parts/material fatigue (that is one of the bases of machinery damage). So the damage system of AMS2, as in any other major sim, is more of a game design choice than a realistic damage.

Maybe with AMS3, Reiza goes with their own engine and implement an BNG level of damage simulation or uses an engine that support this kind of physics.

20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Clutch, engine, brakes and gearbox wear out on you in AMS2. Especially clutch, brakes and engine receive wear without mishandling and you can lose single gears, that will not take torque load when happening. When it comes to suspension parts etc., there is indeed no wear.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1