1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.8.1 Oficially Released - Now Updated to V1.3.8.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 28, 2022.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Just share the folder "tuningsetups".

2. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok, just jumped out of a server where this was happening, went straight to a test day to check it was'nt just online, can sadly confirm its not just online. That bloody, fecking, frustrating bug is back where you change something in your setup up, go out, come back to pits, and its all set bloody back to fecking defaults! You know the one right???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or a previous setup save becomes the accidental default. I've had that happen a few times and had to wipe a previous setup.

4. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I think this is a really good point.
    Turning down skid noise is the first audio adjustment I tend to make in any sim (well, right after turning music off).

Hearing a very loud skidding noise as soon as a car enters any form of slide no matter how mild, can lead to the perception that the physics is doing something that it isn't - and result in the 'floaty feel' experience.

Having the skidding audio more subtle and in the background helps to focus on the visuals and FFB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would recommend doing the opposite. Tyre noises in real life are LOUD, and do communicate useful information about grip limits. Especially under braking, it's the best way to gauge threshold braking because there isn't much available in the standard FFB unless you use telemetry-based cues. Turning it off completely will just cause you to lock brakes without even noticing. Too bad the AMS2 tyre noises are overly simplistic, with only one constant-volume sample that gets turned on and off instantly instead of building in intensity as the grip falls off. At least they changed the sample from the annoying "chinga-chinga-chinga" one in PC2.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't mean to turn them off entirely, just down. :)
    Aside from lockups though, I wouldn't have thought slicks would squeal much at all taking a corner
    Comparing some videos seems to reaffirm this
    --------------------
    GT3
    --------------------
    Real life:

AMS2:

--------------------
    Copa Uno
    -------------------
    Real life:

AMS2:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. MCI Goated

MCI Goated Ben Dalby AMS2 Club Member

Completely agree the noise is louder but more complex in real life.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have found, since GPL days, that exaggerating the tyre noise helps to make up for the lack of sensation through the chassis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Nice

Sidenote:
    For me the vids show how much less raucous the inboard engine sounds are in ams2.
    (100% cockpit view) level used here and is low level..
    Racing engines sound wild raucous and sometimes & mostly, viscous/violent. Front engine or rear no difference, just a certain 'wildness' esp when you consider no interior trims and rubbish to mute the sound. Audio is being looked at (even now as we type)! and altered improved so I wait in anticipation. Some external engine sounds are good Porsche gt3!?. but cockpit engine Mmm more pls of the above and loud.
    I like a bit of tyre noise and it does actually vary a little when 'cooking the boots' on the limit.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I agree about raucous sounding engine noise but, only up to the point where it becomes distorted (often the case in RL video). Achieving a good balance between interior / exterior samples may benefit. Boosting engine-braking sounds may also be effective for increasing immersion, as can backfire & shift-pop effects.

I do believe Reiza wants to recreate as many of these effects as possible but, they have real-life knowledge of the limitations with the sound-engine / game, that we don't. I appreciate that they also want to represent each car/engine type realistically, as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This bug is really ridiculessly bad, its still doing it and its making me just wanna shut down the game, more annoying than having a fecking boy band following you around everywhere and singing their ****e sterile songs at you all the time!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

:siffler: i'm a barbie girl...

13. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

If I could add anything to the sounds, I'd take a couple pages out of ACC's book by bumping up the various other interior sounds too (like the rattles/clangs of going over bumps and whatnot), because it really adds a sort of visceral feel to everything in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

If real engine and exhaust sounds were used, we'd need to wear ear protection! Without ear protection and a helmet, most race cars (and even racing karts) are unbearable if you still have normal hearing.

Just like the exaggerated tire sounds that help compensate for lack of some subtle feedback from the tires (that we won't ever have with today's hardware), making the engines and other sounds exciting and visceral, but within boundaries that won't damage hearing or cause others in the household to come clobber you when playing AMS 2, is the art of good sound design.

But why not have fully raucous and visceral sounds, but just lower the volume to make it tolerable? Well, if you have to ask that question, you are not a sim-head. All aspects of the user interface of the sim are a balancing act between plausible realism (e.g., FFB on a DD wheel that will break your wrist if you crash and forget to let go of the wheel) versus longer-term usability (informative, communicative FFB that helps you to understand what the car is doing and helps compensate for lack of g-force and other sensory inputs) for a wide variety of users who are all not body-builder fitness freaks capable of wrestling a 30 Nm small diameter racing wheel set on full torque.

The audio also has to work across a range of all manner of equipment--most of which is relatively poor quality (compared to what most people spend for screens, wheels, pedals, etc.). It's just as challenging as getting FFB to work well on everything from the cheapest to most elaborate FFB wheel bases.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Hi Marc
    Did I say/ask for this . No
    Yes, exactly this is what is Low as I said, as well as the levels balance. whether filtered rl or artificial/mixed.
    Obviously.
    Really? I Never asked the question! irrelevant.

If I run a poor , sound through high end system Granite speakers weight 85.7kg each here in front room, for music it stays poor in fact worse irrespective of volume.
    It still sounds poor. same with phones, low end/hi end or my sim system.
    Yes! exactly. Obviously.
    The sounds in cockpit are not to me, in your words and 1 of mine 'raucous and visceral ' enough imo.
    'balancing act':)

16. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's exactly where I like AMS2 the sounds and the FFB/physics are well aligned, I wouldn't turn the tire sounds volume down too low, Along with the FFB they are fine indicators of what the car is doing, for me

17. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had the same experience in the beta version, and it ended up not being able to save setups. After restoring a backup of the tuningsetups folder it seems to be repaired. so far it seems good again, at least I can save setups again and didn't have the reset to default, I do wonder how my setup files can get corrupt? It started in a beta-test Sprintcar race this week, transferring from Qualy to Race.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Firstly, I wasn't point-by-point responding to anything you said...just comparing poorly recorded on-board videos with what a sound designer tries to do in the game in a general way for all in the thread. No need to get defensive.

Secondly, I should point out that recordings of real engines, real on-boards and real externals are used extensively in AMS 2. The team always wants to use the most realistic sounds possible.

My only real point is that even in pitch-perfect recordings existed for every possible element in the car being simulated, there would still be a lot of sound design/artistic license required to make those recordings into a pleasant experience for the end-user.

Case-in-point is the prominent transmission whine included in some of the cars (Porsche GT3 and Cup cars spring to mind) that is sometimes described as sounding like a dentist's drill. These sounds are pretty realistic, but push the boundaries for a consumer sim. Some people find them unpleasant, even though in the game they are still a bit tame compared to reality. Others are cheering the inclusion. What should be done if 60% of the customer base says the sounds cause headaches or are just a turn-off and they don't want to drive the car as a result?

• Like Like x 3
  19. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Today during a dirty MP session ( opala old stock on Long Beach).. I was trying to avoid bunch of destruction derby players ( started from the back as I didn t had Time to qual) and on lap 2 turn 1 I cannot avoid 4 metled cars and hit one or Them. I ve immediatly lost all FFB. ( Handling was ok).. this is not a fun car to drive without any feedback. Anyway, when session was over, FFB came back as soon I reached the lobby.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  20. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

RaceRoom's approach works well, imo. More sliders for individual sounds such as gearbox-whine, backfires, etc. Not easy for the sound team but, can result in pleasing a broader range of player preference.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1