1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem with hydrogen is two fold. First is that storage is very dangerous, and secondly is that because of the gaseous nature of hydrogen, you cant fill as much ‘fuel’ in as petrol, so range is a lot lower.

Also (although this problem exists for electric as well) is that the hydrogen itself comes from electrolysis of water. This means that the hydrogen is only as clean as the source of electricity, which in many countries might still be fossil fuels.

Edit: Most hydrogen is actually produced from natural gas (thanks @SaxOhare ), but the chemical process to convert to Hydrogen releases a lot of greenhouse gases. This is even worse than electrolysis, which could be powered by renewables.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

That and it might affect weather in big cities if the exhaust is water; smog gets replaced by increased humidity/rainfall and disrupts weather cycles.

Soon we'll be making electric submarines for urbanites. XD

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mining metals for a typical Tesla 1000 lbs battery requires extracting hundreds of tons of earth crust. Then extracting and refining the metals from the ore requires some of the most toxic acids known by mankind. Imagine doing that for billion of cars...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Electricity is the future for cars... but the 2030 Agenda will fail (as it's already failing) because it's pure political decision, not scientific or a market real demand. And they will come naturally when the time is right... with decent power generation/distribution and safe + efficient batteries.

Even the combustion engines can become more efficient both with consumption as with emissions at the point they become almost harmless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To stay in topic: When will Reiza release to AMS2 a full electric car?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Here in the USA, there is sometimes, strong resistance to electrification of vehicles.

Enacting laws banning power-charging stations, e-bike use, etc., are not unheard-of. It's hard to know the true motives behind such acts, whether political, economic, environmental, safety, etc. but, then there is also a growing movement to go back in time.

So far, many of the comparisons between ICE vs EV (Considering cradle to grave aspects), EV's are not impressing, from the average user-perspective. The battery tech, cost advantages and infrastructure, all have a loooooooong way to go before they will be widely accepted. Too often, it seems we are just trading one form of pollution or environmental damage, for another.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. rmagid1010

I think its clear that many people do not realise that our climate is changing and getting on average hotter everywhere in the world. This damage is human-caused and I think climate skeptics are obstinate and resisting to change because;

1. They cannot accept that they are part of the cause of a global catastrophe.
    2. The nostalgia that people have developed for the motorcars of old overrides their sense of the need of the urgency of progress.
    3. An unwillingness to be part of a solution that they see as un-tangible, and that the solution is costlier than changing nothing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

On the day the earth stands still,hope it never happens.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. rmagid1010

Idk how many laps of Monza an electric sports car can do with full power.

At least in pc3 they were usable as there was no power to speak of ;)

9. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

E-bike and E-scooter bans have been more about obnoxious people not using them properly and the scummy startups that tried to benefit from claiming to be "environmentally friendly" while doing the complete opposite. In the cities that used these things, you could find junked E-scooters everywhere, meanwhile, the company just bought new ones instead of taking the time to repair them.

The big problem with electric and hydrogen is that they're still basically reliant on a predominantly coal-based power grid, which is almost as bad for the environment as ICE-based cars. If renewables or nuclear could supplement more of the grid, hydrogen would be a good option. From a consumer standpoint, if charging stations become as common as normal gas stations, electric looks like the most convenient for the daily commute, but it'll take a decade or more until that happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Electric vehicles with fake engine sounds all the way to go. IMHO, I honestly want all the roads to be demolished cause they 'reflect' heat, and that's also one of the reasons its so becoming warmer. I hope soon teleportation will be a thing, and racing on a circuit will be the last old thing from back then. Yep.. Rally will be gone then.. With 8 billion people, roads, cars ,computers, and everything that generate heat or gasses...Strange how history unfolds in the craziest things. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Jugulador

If your "Climate Change" source is the IPCC, I recommend that you try to look for other sources. I'll not discuss it here because I don't think that it fits this topic or even this forum (and my off topic quote is already full... If I push it, probably will get banned lol).

The Volkswagen I.D. R got the second faster lap time at Nordscleife, that is a 20+Km lap... almost four Monza laps.

But, yeah, you are partly right. If made as in RL, AMS2's EVs would have some issues with autonomy for sure.

Cool pavement reduces heat, but will it keep working?

"The study showed the surface temperatures during afternoon hours averaged 10.5 to 12 degrees Fahrenheit lower than that of traditional asphalt, while subsurface temperatures were lowered by 4.8 degrees."

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

… and that s why nothing goes further in terms of new car content. M8 is out of racing. GTE is out of time also, and the Reiza bucks blown awayyyyyyyyy

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I agree--get rid of every F1-type car out of the game except the current model. Whether they are enjoyable to drive is irrelevant!

</sarcasm: off>

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think most hydrogen is made by converting natural gas.
    CH4 + H2O > CO + 3 H2

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

I say, the industrialization, not only the people have contributed to it.this is called progress and prosperity.
    Subdue the earth! (But how was that really meant?

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

What is it with peoples obsession with modern GT3 cars :rolleyes: We have enough in all games, we NEED late 70's to early 80's turbo touring cars and we need them NOW :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Well that might save them doing this everyday over already flood effected areas :mad:

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Wish people had an obsession with cars like F-trainer, Caterham, Vee.. That category :oops:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I honestly can't see how electric vehicles will work, in Australia anyway. Our power grid already cannot cope and recently even hospitals in some states were asked to turn off power in parts of its facilities.
    There is no major push to make our electric infrastructure more capable either.
    Finally if our power grid cannot cope now how on earth can we expect it to function with millions of vehicles charging around the clock.
    It just won't work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. Jugulador

I really like the F-Trainer and did a good quantity of offline races with it.

The Vee is amazing, but I don't see it working on open servers, but I would race it with a league.

The Caterham is the only you quoted that I don't like that much by unexplainable reasons.

I can (and usually do) fight with faster cars at the top of the leaderboards, but find more fun to race with slower and simpler vehicles. More closer races and less accidents = more fun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1