1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

While we all abuse our F5 keys here's a question for all of you:

F1 V10 G2 on Nordschleife:
    upload_2022-8-7_14-27-22.jpeg

I kept my foot down and I'm sure y'all know what followed. I know that this can happen in lots of cars but I was surprised to see it happen in default setup for the V10. Surely the downforce would keep the nose to the road, even if it lifted a little, I imagine it would be pushed back down before going so far that the angle generates lift.

Any thoughts?

2. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it's down to the upcoming corner name. Seems appropriate for me ;)

Flugplatz means airfield so taking off seems reasonable :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Going from climbing angle to being level happens in a very short distance and F1's are no different in having to brake before hitting the top, even if they have big amounts of downforce. Once that nose is ripped up, there is an increasing amount of air flowing under the car (due to the track leveling out), lifting it further up harder than the wing can push the car down. And past a certain angle, the wing stops pushing down and actually lifts up.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Bizarre Formula

You're right of course and in the screenshot the giant plane of the underfloor is in play once it had gone past the point of no return, but at first it was just a tiny lift and I was surprised that the downforce wasn't enough to keep it close enough to the floor to prevent the aerodynamic snowball.

I guess the amount of torque from the rears also plays a part when the nose lifts.

Certainly not suggesting it is broken but was it always the case? I feel like I have taken it flat in that car before.

As an afterthought, does the wind change directions in the game? Is there wind included in the physics?

5. Shriukan

Over there years cars have received tweaks to their aero levels (independently of it being cars with or without wings) to bring them more in line to the real deal so it could be that at one time it was possible to go flat out.

You're also correct that rear wheel torque application will influence the aero balance and reaction to a situation. Some cars might not necessarily need to brake, but will need not to have throttle applied to avoid having the front wheels go light or have the front lift.

As for wind, yes there is wind and it can affect the handling of a car but it’s generally static in both direction and strength. You’ll need to pick bad weather to get a bigger amount of wind or pick a windy day with real weather

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Bizarre Formula

That's awesome, thanks for all the info, you're probably right that I'm just remembering times long gone! XD

I just did a little test with all the modern-ish F1 cars to see which can flat it and whether aero can be changed to stop it. Both F-ult gens can as can the F Reiza. None of the V10s can but the Gen 2 almost keeps it down with full wing adjustment. Perhaps a higher fuel load might do the trick.

I've played a lot in storms but I don't think I've tried much for just wind, will have to give it a try.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not necessarily an hindrance. There are pros and cons with all engines. And as CSP showed the word impossible is often misused.
    Let Reiza do their stuff with MP and then we will see where AMS2 ends up. I'm confident they will be able to provide great MP on par with similar sims when they will be done

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure Reiza saw it coming from afar and put MP improvements on hold in order to complete the paid DLCs by year's end, which I'm still not certain they'll be able to do

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Shriukan

MP improvements and content production aren't worked on by the same people. If anything, the hold was a mix of Renato (admitting, not speculating) underestimating the growth of MP-focused simracers, bug fixing priorities and game code addition priorities.

• Like Like x 5
  10. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Soon we'll need a developer update for the developer update... any time now xD

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Chillblast

Chillblast Member AMS2 Club Member

I like to imagine Renato sits down at his desk at the end of the working day, writes out one sentence and then thinks "you know what? i just wrote a great sentence, i've earned a few beers" and then forgets the rest

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Still waiting…

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Artremis

Artremis New Member

Is the dev update expected for today?

14. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sounds like my highschool essays...
    (Minus the beers, I still don't drink even in adulthood. :whistle:)
    11wMQAPRnXaVoc.gif

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

well, in one of his messages earlier this week Renato mentioned to be working on a dev update for release this week, and since this is the last day of the week, it can be expected today, unless its another self imposed deadline thats not met, but im sure we would have had a short message about the delay then already. :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. MCI Goated

MCI Goated Ben Dalby AMS2 Club Member

I'm afraid to say that theres been no activity from Renato today leading me to the conclusion that's it's probably not coming this week.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, and here we are eagerly awaiting what will be the next changes/additions to our beloved sim

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MCI Goated

MCI Goated Ben Dalby AMS2 Club Member

Yes it not nice to have our hearts messed around like this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

If not today then it'll probably come within the next 3 days (hopeful but baseless assumption of course), I'm just hoping it does come out

• Like Like x 1
  20. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They probs had an actual weekend, instead of the constant grind of the last month

• Agree Agree x 1