1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 August 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it feels like you're making assumptions about the USA packs one and two which have been out for several months now, you are making assumptions about part three which was annouced just recently, and you're making even more assumptions about future DLC without any understanding of what Reiza have actually annouced.

To give you that missing information. Originally Reiza had annouced content that was part of their season pass was a Racin' USA pack. In 2021 Reiza annouced that the Racin' USA pack was going to be much larger than they originally anticipated so at that time they annouced it would be broken up into three parts. The first part would be focused on USA sportscar racing. In that DLC we got the Cadillac DPi, BMW GTE, Porsche GTE, Chevrolet GTE, Daytona road course, Long Beach Street circuit, and Leguna Seca. When the first part of Racin' USA released Reiza also annouced that the second part would focus on US open wheel racing, and the third part would focus on oval racing.

The second part of Racin' USA when annouced was split up into two parts. In the first part we got the 1998 CART cars, Cleveland Airport circuit, and Watkins Glen. In the second part we got the 1995 Indycar, 2000 CART cars, and Road America.

Just recently part three was annouced and in that annoucement Reiza also annouced at a later date they were going to expand on the planned three parts and have a part four. We currently know nothing about part four and what content it could have. Part three would include two ovals, WWT, and Fontana, as well as add the oval version of Daytona to part one Racin' USA. Along with the ovals Reiza were adding short oval, and low DF varients of all the Indy/CART cars from part two, as well as at the time a Formula 2022 car based on the current generation of IndyCar.

As of today Reiza said that IndyCar has reached out to them for licensing talks, so Reiza decided to edit their dev update they made a couple weeks ago and delay part three to Racin' USA until they have completed their talks with the owners of the IndyCar licenses.

Again I am unsure where you got all your ideas from for what all the Racin' USA DLCs would include, as part one and two are already out and it is pretty clear with what they include on Steam, and before the update today Reiza had spelled out what this part three was going to include. It should be assumed now that nothing is set in stone, but that it is promising that the license holders have reached out to Reiza as that means there is potential that we can get fully licensed IndyCar content.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So, is there any trouble about the CART content or is that going to get removed as well?

3. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

CART is separate from IndyCar as the 98 and 00 cars were apart of an entirely different series.

4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't think so.. The previous content seems to be official with names of manufacturers so there must be a clear cut deal with whoever owns the rights to Reynard and Lola.
    Curiously Penske was missing, so, speculating here, they might have been contacted back then with no feedback and maybe some feedback might have come now on a higher level of cooperation?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The CART cars aren't generic. All the CART cars that are in the game now are officially licensed to Reiza by their manufacturers.

They won't have to remove the historic CART cars.

6. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In modern times, the IndyCar series owns the names CART and ChampCar but you'll note that AMS 2 doesn't use those names anywhere and calls the series Formula USA instead.

7. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So, in a lot of the IndyCar social media circles, AMS2 has been getting fairly good publicity since the CART cars and Cleveland dropped. I'm sure Reiza could've released the car without too much of a legal fuss given Raceroom, RaceSimStudio, VRC, etc. have all released "fictional" versions of the car.

I have a hunch that more content might be on the table if Reiza are willing to pull the car until they get proper approval. This could mean IMS, IndyLights, Road to Indy, and other various IRL tracks could have a potential future if talks go well.

I wonder if IndyCar had put licenses on hold expecting MSG to fulfill their contract, only for it to look increasingly likely that the game will never materialize. The rumor is (and that depends on how much stock you want to put in them) that MSG is massively bleeding funds and may be bankrupt soon. I'm no financial wizard, but you can look through their investors' notes, it doesn't look great.

https://ir.motorsportgames.com/static-files/802544c8-632f-45a0-ba82-576d75dd1d58

They would've moved on that legally if it was an issue. We have plenty of classic F1 cars without an official F1 license, I see no reason why CART would be any different.

I'm sure Reiza will be tight-lipped on whatever agreement they're working on, but this seems potentially mutually beneficial and not so much a legal strong arm ordeal. IndyCar got scammed* (allegedly) by MSG and Reiza just happens to release a DLC with a fictionalized car right before MSG implodes. IndyCar wants some game content to advertise the series, and Reiza gets a potentially cheaper license and official approval. Seems like a win for both parties, other than Reiza can't pocket as much of the final product, but they may sell more given the license.

With how big of IndyCar/CART fans the devs are, you know they probably were dreaming about getting IMS added to the game. The deal could fall through, but I'd be shocked to see us get an officially licensed car and no IMS.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dylan Hale

I'm just trying to figure out why the ovals and oval spec CART era cars would be delayed? I get the 2022 indycar is shelved, but surely anything that comes of this could be simply added later?

Although, I would kill to see Reiza make a proper indycar game, so...

9. Dylan Hale

This is not speculation, if MSG does not get their stock price over $1 by December they will be kicked off the stock exchange, and they will be forced to liquidate to pay off investors. Especially given they are currently out of money by their own admission.

NASCAR 21 Dev Motorsport Games' Bad Year Is Getting Worse

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  10. Ettore

Renato said all other content will remain available (which basically means the tracks and the other CART/GTs content). The question for them is only whether they go out with reduced size Part 3 or wait and regroup on a different strategy

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  11. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone feel that maybe the IndyCar brand got warned by other game developers like the ones from RF2?
    I don`t know if it`s a thing, but messing with other people business is maybe somewhat part of the game. IDK
    I know AMS2 has already reached a larger audience, but it`s at least weird they got called by the IndyCar brand right after the developer update post.

12. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oval spec CART are done, Daytona Oval is done. Why not just release those and let people run ovals until the other content is sorted?

Then again, there's another historic oval key to open-wheel racing that is mysteriously blocked off... If only we could mirror asymmetrical setups. :rolleyes:

They may be gone sooner given the rate they're bleeding funds.

13. Dylan Hale

I mean, Pcars 1 and 2 is being delisted soon because of licenses. Maybe IndyCar has 2 overlapping licensing deals 1 for a full game, 1 for a partial/dlc? If the Partial license is up, maybe thats what reiza is being offered?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cassini

Interesting... It makes sense.

15. Dylan Hale

I could add on Grid 2 also had the Indycar license and was delisted before the release of Project CARS which was supposed to have the Indy 500 featured. In the end, SMS couldn't get the AI to work on the ovals so they shelved it until Pcars 2

Then there is the Forza games, and how quickly the old versions get removed from the Xbox stores

16. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

What documentary?

17. Cassini

The bait is here...

18. Deuce

Deuce BANNED BANNED

Thanks Brett... This helps clear it up for me... I did finally find much of the above... again, noob here... I thought the USA thing was all this year and hadn't found the original postings covering the 3 parts (Seems like Dev updates were few and far between for 2022)... looks like the original posting was back at the beginning of April 2021 announcing the USA stuff with intentions of completing Fall 2021 vs Fall of 2022... and to your point above, it only mentions DPI, GTE, Cart, etc. as far as cars... when it mentions Ovals it does not mention any new cars I don't believe so the Indy car was maybe a good add (attempted)... and definitely no mention of any covered wheel cars... basically IMSA and Indy style cars on several US road courses and two Indy Ovals (+ a stock car oval I guess in Daytona)... I realize as I learn more about the Sim that assuming is bad and if I were to assume, I should lean towards open wheel it looks like for Ovals... I also see that there was a more current F1 style car added this year that may have been a pleasant surprise to some (looks pretty nice and watched some AI races with them)... truthfully I bought the Sim on sale for Karting as the new Karting Sim (don't remember the name) lacked multiplayer racing... I saw AMS2 had it and it's pretty good (great potential - AI is rough and racing lines aren't configurable like the original Rfactor Sim was so waiting on the pros to tune it in a little better)... I heard about the USA pack and saw it was included in what I bought so I clicked around in the UI and found the road courses, IMSA, and Cart but heard there was Oval racing coming... wrongly assumed that oval racing meant more than Cart... I also heard there were two new ovals... Daytona and St Louis... one is a Stock car track and one is both Stock cars and Cart/Indy... reality is it's California (as you mention above and I found in the April 2021 Dev Update) and St Louis tracks which are both Stock car and Cart/Indy... I'll let my Indy car friends and F1 friends know about the Sim (already let my Karting friends know) as they may be interested... my Stock car friends would not (at least not yet)... we spend many hours on iRacing running Cup, Xfinity, Truck, SLM, Modifieds, Various Dirt, and some Oval Indy (the 500)... F1 friends are really into the F1 2022 game so may not be cost effective for them to try this one unless the F1 2022 cars in AMS2 are outside of the season pass... I'll try to find that somewhere too... I enjoy messing around with AMS2 and am pleased that there is continued improvements being made... heard they have a small team so I hope that the core functionality isn't sacrificed for new cars and track too much anyway... I'd chose a stellar AI and racing experience over F1 2022 and Indy cars (both not called out in any roadmap I can find) any day... (AI don't seem to setup and complete passes in any natural feeling manner except maybe when the racing line for a corner isn't setup quite right to begin with... aka F1 2022 at Sliverstone)

Thanks again for the quick reply to help me get a little better caught up and get my expectations in line based on fact vs assumption... I was getting there but struggled to find the posting(s)...

Still not clear on the history with Indy though and the clarity that there is an option, if no licensing occurs, to then still have a more updated USA Top-Tier open wheeler like was pictured a week or three ago vs having to drop it altogether... we have no control over it anyway and I don't think there was any plan to have the newer version (Indy vs Cart) to begin with back in April 2021...

Going to go play with the AI for a while...

19. Dylan Hale

Yeah, they can render Rfactor's indycar model in Unreal after over a year of "working" on the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ettore

F Ultimate Gen 2 (2022 F1-ruleset based cars) are free with the base AMS2

• Like Like x 1