Formula USA Gen. 1 - what Turboboost for a 90 min race?!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Maddin71287, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

To be fair some Polo's do overheat like a sucker. The Polo GTI (sporting a super and turbo charger) gets to 130+°C (270+°F) oil temp on Nords IRL after 10kms xD

My buddy sold his car a month later after this. Upgrading oil cooling from the stock package wasn't an option.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Anthony 123

Anthony 123 Active Member

It's somewhat fair but we're talking a street car doing half a lap of a normal circuit and overheating to the point of engine damage. I wasn't exactly overdriving the car either. Even hanging out in the useless sixth gear, at a very low rpm, the temp just keeps rising. I think the game is just bugged. It's only the oil temp that rises insanely fast and damages the engine. I'm surprised more people haven't noticing this. I've been experiencing it on many cars for a very long time. I wish this just get rid of these bugs so I can be done with iracing

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Of course it's an AMS2 glitch with engine damage with a lot of cars... but the Polo as a sportive car stills a meme that deserves all the jokes about it.

4. Anthony 123

Agreed. I can't imagine why the vws are in the game, let alone the only cars in the demo. Very, very weird:confused:

5. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

40 laps is the longest so far, race that is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Shriukan

Automobilista 2 Demo Featuring VW TSI Cup By Acelerados RELEASED!

This is the reason why they're in the game. A chance for Reiza to work with VW do Brasil and get some goodies, a chance for Acelerados to have sort of their version of Top Gear's Economical Car to drive around their test track in a free challenge for their viewers, a way to bring the word out to the brazillian gaming community and an opportunity to bring a demo out.

Now if Reiza has the option to move on from it (or maybe when) and change the demo up, that remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anthony 123

What was engine condition at the end of your race? How far off the pace were you with the engine damage? I'm seriously struggling to balance engine wear with turbo boost in this car
    It'd be interesting to see if the demo actually boosted the games audience. Every single person I know who tried the demo, walked away from it wanting nothing to do with the game. I've had to tell more than a few that the demo is not a representation of the game and they should buy it

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

I believe that Reiza did it for the money (the partnership with Acelerados and VW). I didn't play the demo, but if the Polo is the only car, them Reiza should rethink about it with urgency. Believe that three cars (Polo, a mid end, as one GT4/3, and a high end, as one of the F1 of Indycars) with all Vello Citta's layouts would be enough to sell the game

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

Just did a little Test with 1.4 and now i receive 1% engine wear after one and a half lap on daytona Road Course with the fusa. So i can go a half lap further than before 1.4
    I tried it with 100% and 50% turbo boost and it makes no difference, nearly at the same distance (one and a half lap) i get 1% engine wear.

i tried the formula ultimate gen2 on the same track and even with 100% turbo boost after 4 laps no engine wear at all.

so for me, it seems that the fusa engine wear is still not working properly.

10. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Engine wear is inevitable in classes with expendable engines. Naturally you can’t compare a modern turbo hybrid engine to a high revving historic as the former are designed for minimal replacements during a long season. So you can’t see it as a punishment for pushing it. Rather the issue is any excess wear over that unavoidable wear.

With this in mind, as long as you stay under 70-80% wear you’re fine. Around 50% wear is normal if you do a full length race in these expendables - it will also happen to the AI. The best way to avoid excessive wear beyond the expected is by making sure you stay under 130C oil temperature (since 1.4) in F-USA. And avoid aggressive downshifts that hit the limiter. Similarily upshift before the limiter.

As for the Polo: that has been revised since. It has a very long service life as you’d expect. However when you drive hard, you will wear it slowly. Oil temperature rising under hard driving is inevitable, but it should stay below its overheating point.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

let me guess mate, you Never did a race longer than 90 minutes with f-usa, did you?

orherwise you will have experienced that about 40% Engine wear, you won‘ t be able to Continue your race in a proper way!
    And it seems that you don’t read all my Posts in this Thread!
    But i repeat me once again, EVEN IF YOU NURSING THE CAR AROUND THE TRACK YOU WILL SUFFER ENGINE WEAR!
    And even if you do not downshift at all at the Oval for example you will suffer engine wear.
    So why you don’t try it for yourself?!

I know for sure, that it Happens to others as well, i watched a lot YouTube videos were people driving the f-usa and i see there, that they suffer engine wear as i experienced.
    The reason that they all don‘t care is because they all do Short races ( at least the Videos i watched)
    So please, don’t give me tips how to handle the car, just try for yourself! Thanks.

Greetings
    Martin

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

I removed the video, because everything was Right, except my driving!!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  13. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I have read them. I'm addressing what you just wrote here about engine wear which is true. You can't make it wear less this way at the moment, but you can prevent excess wear beyond this base wear that you get anyway. Could it work so that you can drive around at low RPMs, low boost, low engine load, and suffer a bit less wear? Yes, and some of the engines in game do work like this. However my ultimate point was how much the engine should wear during a full length race at race pace. There is a big difference between F-Ultimate and F-USA on purpose. Same with F-V10 vs F-Reiza and Ultimate.

To be even clearer: it should be fine to finish with a lot of engine wear that accumulates from just driving. If you can't do it, we need to know what exactly is going on and preventing you from finishing.

The issues you suffered with gears popping out is another matter and curious. But not related to engine wear. However if you still suffer from those regularly we need to troubleshoot and possibly address it as a bug.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  14. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

i watched OpenGP laps, he did an Ai race. He said he did it at 120% and high Ai aggression. Also I saw he had put speed at 100mph. It’s 60 on mine. I trimmed this Reynard Honda out as much as possible and in practice I was 6 tenths off, that may have been for the draft? Then in Qual lol there’s no 2 lap qual just open like a road course, “come on man” lol

so I qualified last and when the green flew, I was half a lap back at lap 1

I think OpenGP had the pre release one. He did say he’s had input and had it for a while. I watched him, he never got out of 5th gear and was only reving to two lights, ended up 8th in a 50 lap race. Somethings off, that dog don’t hunt

15. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

I understand that the different Engines have different life times.
    And i like it, that it is simulated that way.
    The example in my video is really Slow driving, with 0% Boost and not reving More than 8000rpm without any shifting, is not practiable for Racing.
    Interesting point is that you mentioned that the gearbox problems i suffered are not related to the engine wear.
    I find it Strange too, but it always happend when i suffered round about 40% engine wear so i thought i is related to engine wear.
    So only the gearbox problems stopped me from continue those races. The engine was running…
    So maybe i treatend the gearbox not right?!
    But what can you do with a sequential gearbox to get it in such a bad shape?
    What actions damages the gearbox in ams2 pre 1.4?

greetings
    Martin

16. Shriukan

You mean his pit speed limiter? He was on km/h and even said so as he entered the pits. Which is correct. 100km/h is roughly 60mph.

17. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Yes he clarified that I’m no alien but at 100 Ai by lap two I loose the draft

18. Rujasu

Rujasu Member

When I tested it right after 1.4 dropped, the HUD element said pit speed limit was 60kph, but the limiter took me up to 100 and I got no penalty, so there's probably something funky going on.

19. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Just ran an Ai @85 and high aggression. On the start I kept up with the Ai, up to 13th from the start. Had a yellow and Ai just shuts it down, swerved to avoid but had to let 4-5 cars pass. All but 1 did and that gave me a 5 sec penalty. Filled up, 27 laps worth. Half didn’t fill up. On the restart, they were gone, tried staying close but they get no turbo lag and just go as we have to short shift first or it just goes hard left when the turbo kicks in. Never caught the pack, but guys pitted and that gave me the advantage, P4. Wasn’t fun as the last 25 laps I was pretty much all alone. And there’s no track crew because they left the tires out on the track from the wreck, until it was plowed into. Lot of work for them to do. These sims(iracing big boy included) don’t have a QC person. It’s the mentality, release it and fix it later lol.

20. Shriukan

That’s just cause the UI doesn’t show the actual pit speed limit. Been like this for a while.