1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated server CPU/Bandwidth usage

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by DanRZ, Aug 29, 2022.

1. DanRZ

DanRZ New Member

Hello, i tried to setup an AMS2 dedicated server.
    Everything is installed and seems to work fine ... Not tried to connect to it yet.

I have a question :

I've read here that in fact that's one player that take in charge the server management (first connected).

ams2-dedicated-server-tool-steamcmd-support.11116/page-57

Is it really like that ?

I mean i have a machine that runs a big CPU and has a big 1 Gb/s symetrical bandwidth
    and most of the CPU/Network usage will still run on the first player connected side ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  2. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes unfortunately, thats how peer to peer works , first player to join becomes host . You can set your server up to show in the list when empty & also can use the API to have some limited control of the server but thats it .. no admin commands like other games . We host from a rented server with 1gb both ways but it does not matter as what ever connection speed the clients have determines the overall health of the session, in other words server bandwidth means nothing with peer to peer its all about the clients..

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanRZ

DanRZ New Member

Thanks for the confirmation.

IMO, most of the times and for most of the users using a dedicated server will be useless ...

From what i see it is useful to manage/rotate track/cars/conditions "locked" by an external admin. Connection, cpu will still rely on the players side.

From an ESport perspective it's impossible to play in those conditions, for example.

I surprisingly already hosted great sessions on my own PC and my poor connection (ADSL on Wifi !) and it worked really well. Everybody stayed for the all session and we all enjoyed it.

That's one of the best points of AMS2, hosting a game is really simple, fast and quite reliable.

4. Kro

The one advantage to a ded is you will get a result file that you can parse at simresults etc... when in-game hosting there is no available result file to share, post etc...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Martin Fay

Martin Fay New Member

Wow that is unbelievably bad and explains a lot. I thought only the lobbies were peer-to-peer. I rent a server with a 1 Gbps symmetric connection and I'm shocked sometimes to see cars crabbing sideways with my AMS 2 dedicated server. It seems worse when I add AI which I'm guessing uses up peer bandwidth then. I run an rF2 server on the same box and its always rock solid. Any rumors of them doing a proper dedicated server using the actual server hardware and not handing off to peer-to-peer?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  6. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Why have a dedicated server ?

Does creating a server from main PC put to much resource load on it whilst user also driving etc ?

7. Kro

Right now the only way to get a "result file" is through the ded, in-game hosting does not produce a result file so for leagues it's useless.. The sms_stats_data the ded provides allows you to parse it yourself or you can use it at simresults.net
    this is ours that we parse ourselves, Desktop Screenshot 2022.09.17 - 18.12.06.75.jpg you can't get this on a game-hosted server ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kro

Good news is in today's race we didn't have any screen freezes for the first time with AMS2! We did have some lag at the start but it smoothed out as the field spread out.. so it's definitely getting better. Can't wait for the next dev pass on the MP side.
    But for now, progress has been made :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Martin Fay

Martin Fay New Member

I can't seem to get my dedicated set up as a ranked server. I have "online reputation enabled" in the flags and "MinimumOnlineRank" : 0 in the default section of my sms_rotate_config.json file. Whenever I go in as host and look at session settings, rank is turned off. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong? (net search came up empty)

10. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Reverse check your flags, as if it's not working, you may have used the wrong value (and it's easy to miscalculate): AMS2 Flags tool | TROLL SimRacing

• Like Like x 1
  11. DanRZ

DanRZ New Member

Thanks for this useful link ;)

12. Kro

You need to set the strength as well ..
    "MinimumOnlineRank" : 3,
    "MinimumOnlineStrength" : 200,

The ranking works like 0=U 1=F 2=D etc...

13. Martin Fay

Martin Fay New Member

Thanks guys. I missed the Strength value since that wasn't in the "online_rep" enums.

• Like Like x 1