1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So this is interesting. I have not done a clean reinstall but I use a custom FFB. I took the super kart out to Brasilla Outer with my custom FFB and it drove fine. Then I switched to Default + and I got wild oscillation in the steering wheel just going down the straights. Couldn't hold the thing straight at all and would spin out almost immediately...

Edit Took it back out and tried Default and it was perfect. Switched to default + again and it was uncontrollable. So maybe the reinstall did change the FFB settings. I would suggest to anyone having issues to try Default or a custom FFB file or try a clean reinstall.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

A good example was the last weekend race in the NASCAR Cup Series. The race was scheduled for Saturday night, it was postponed because of rain. It was held on Sunday morning and then suspended with some laps to go for more than 3 hours or so, due to rain. Also, if you are interested look at the race summary (they upload it to youtube I guess, but it is not available in all places) and you will have a hint of why they never race with rain :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

You may be on to something. A comparison of the old Default+ file with the new Default+ file would be interesting.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Theodore Schultz

@CrimsonEminence Can the Default+ be looked over. I did notice some snap oversteering with other cars using the Default+ after the update that I hadn't noticed much before. Default feels great. Pre 1.4 I always preferred Default+ to Default but now there seems to be some issues with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Something has definitely changed in default +.
    I have no front end bite ffb accelerating out of low downforce corners and I can only feel the front end when I’m gaining downforce, usually from third gear and upwards. It feels exactly like someone turning up the volume on a stereo, the more downforce and speed my car has, the more ffb volume I get from the fronts through my wheel.
    It’s really immersion breaking for me and it’s super pronounced around modern Silverstone, due to the layout and the mixture of corners at that circuit.
    Every time I arrive and accelerate out of Village, the loop, aintree, brooklands, luffield and club all front details vanish from my wheel.
    I’ve heard from quite a few people, that if you want front end ffb, you have to use rfuktor custom files and I personally don’t want to get involved with that and would prefer to use a Reiza flavour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Theodore Schultz

Try Default and see if it feels any better for you.

8. James Lee GTE

I’m going to finish my morning cup of tea and I will give that a try, thanks for the tip!

9. James Lee GTE

ANYONE READING THIS IN THE EVENING OF 31st of August 9pm GMT. Please ignore my in game FFB settings below. The ffb has somehow reset itself and my new settings are in post #895. The settings below could literally injure someone and I don’t want that to happen. Thank you.
    Well that was a very interesting and enlightening test! Porsche gt3 Silverstone modern summer midday and dry.
    Default + settings G 40 LFB 10 FX 100 D 0 ( These were my original settings )
    Default settings G 45 LFB 65 FX 100 D 0 ( These are my new settings post testing and tinkering )
    I trialled each new setting tweak between the two flavours whilst going over the finish line, so I could have a direct comparison each lap to make it fair.
    I’ll start off by saying default + is absolutely horrible and I fully understand now why I’ve not been clicking with this sim. It’s actually the ugliest ffb I have ever used. Having the luxury of swapping flavours during a lap only exemplified that for me. Switch between the two at the start of each lap and I think you will get the exact same sensations I had. I definitely will not be using default + again!
    First thing I noticed was when in the garage and engine starts up default + shook my whole rig, I mean my seat, my lower back, my wheel is oscillating ( which I didn’t notice before due to vr headset on ). I change to default and I get a very soothing and polite rumble in only my feet and lower legs and the wheel stops oscillating.
    Default in low downforce corners there still isn’t detail, BUT there are ffb cues coming through the wheel it’s not fully rubber bandy like default +, I am getting subtle hints of force which are helping me to understand what the fronts are doing and I’m all ready lapping quicker and more importantly I now have a far better idea of when to push the gas down. It’s definitely a lot better than default +. Loop and Club is still vacant of detail but I can now at least get a hint and drive more confidently especially in the final corner onto pit straight.
    I increased gain to 100 to see what would happen and it got very muddy and felt really fake so dialled it back down and I then also did the same with LFB up to 100 then dialled it back down. Lowering gain to 30 made my wheel feel too weak.
    I will do some more work on this, but from approx 20 laps, I can confidently say that default + is an absolute no go for me and default is miles better. Just need stronger details at the front rather than subtle hints and cues. This is the closest I’ve ever felt to clicking with this sim.
    Thanks for the tip and hope this helps others.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Lorincz Janos

Lorincz Janos New Member AMS2 Club Member

Another opinion on YT about the Cat Academy, this time a positive one. I dunno who is right, I have no idea, how these cars should be driven. For me the AMS2 version is more fun to drive, just the AI is too quick, against me o_O

• Like Like x 4
  11. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Definitely some positive thoughts.

I think that video does show something important though. The RF2 version seems to have a lot more grip than AMS2 for whatever reason. If we assume he is driving the same way in both games, there are no extended slides in RF2.

12. Br1am

Br1am Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, it’s interesting to see how peoples experiences differed so much, and maybe their approach to installing the update with a clean install made a difference.

Just to add a little insight on my experience. I didn’t do a clean install, and had a couple of issues even after the first hotfix. Now it could be that it was either one of the later hotfixes that actually fixed things. The only other thing I can think of is I did a restart of my pc not until after that first day of the release. So not directly after the update was installed and also not after the first hotfix. The next day there was another hotfix but also a restart of my pc. After that all was (generally) well and seemed to compare with others that reported no/very few issues.

Also, I’ve been doing some testing with both Default and Default+ ffb options, as well as a custom file. For me it just came down to personal preference, not performance really. Times were very comparable, and cars behaved the same for me. I use a DD wheel btw.

In the end I chose to go with Default+, but turned the Force Effect Intensity down to 60% in my wheel ffb settings (so not in game). With this setting the wheel felt just as nice as Default, but with a little extra feel and detail coming through without being overpowering (which it did at 100% FEI).

• Like Like x 2
  13. James Lee GTE

I’m on a DD2 and that’s an interesting note about turning down FEI on the wheel base. I had previously turned it down to 90% from a previous update.
    But with you saying that default+ needed turning down from 100 to 60 to bring more clarity to your wheel does make sense in my head with the crazy vibrations and the muddied details I’m getting at 90 on default+
    What in game ffb values are you using on default +?
    I’ll give that a go this evening and compare.

14. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is likely because they model the Academy with different tyre compounds, which is obvious when you look at the hot pressures. In rFactor 2 the hot pressures are around 1.4 bar, whereas in AMS2 they are around 2.2 bar. This indicates that the rFactor 2 car is on Avon ZZRs or similar, while the AMS2 one is (correctly) on Avon Academy Tyres. Reference:

https://www.lotus7.club/sites/default/files/images/docs/guides/Avon Tyres Motorsport - Lotus Seven Club - 2021 Edition.pdf

Also, the rF2 default setup has tons of camber (-3.0/-2.0 or such) while the AMS2 has very little (0.0 in the rear), so bringing those closer to each other makes the cars drive more similarly.

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

It's always the guy who shares my opinion who is right :)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When I transitioned from beta 1.4 to main release, the FFB felt off (Using Danielkarts latest custom FFB file). In the end I deleted Documents/Automobilista 2 folder and re downloaded the custom file, everything feels better now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting, thanks for that info.

18. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I didn't make myself clear. Yes, is a matter of Ai calibration and the new physics require new Ai calibration (found out latter at Imola, 112% did the job - still a little too high, but it's ok).
    What I meant is, I can be fast in AMS2 and my observations don't rely of my inability to drive in AMS2 (like, "I don't like AMS2 because I'm not fast or competent enough")

19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To each their own, but there's almost no way running FX at 100 can be correct. This will almost certainly overpower whatever steering forces you feel with road noise etc. So I would start by reducing this to something like 40 and upping the GAIN.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

It is me or all new tracks and layouts have broken AI?
    On all gateway layouts I have the AI hitting walls frequently, either at turn 4 on the oval or at various turns in the road courses.
    The AI speed at the Fontana oval is very inconsistent, being very slow on turns 1/2 and insanely fast at 3/4, I've also never been able to race at the RC properly since the AI systematically goes 4/5 wide into turn 3 and inevitably crash into the inside tire wall lap 1.
    And the AI behaves very oddly on the Daytona oval with certain cars, braking no reason out of turn 4 when you can go flat out and braking in packs idk why.

• Agree Agree x 2