Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Okay guys, we've found the culprit!

We'll deploy a small hotfix for it shortly, stand by!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

After the hotfix was deployed you can reinstate your backed-up file to this folder again if you may.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

Yup it has to do with that, we'll address that ASAP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My finest moment in AMS2 :D

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

The Formula Retro Gen 2 drives like it should again! :D
    Unfortunately the GT1s instantly crash the game if you select a low downforce track but I know that's being looked into right now

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Great Kid! Don’t get cocky. ;)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. munkyboo

munkyboo Member

I seem to have solved most of my issues of weird feeling and floatiness in the front tires by using the In game Damper setting for my DD1, as suggested in a previous post.

I previously used the fanatec tuning and had Damper around 30% , natural friction and natural inertia on a few percent. In game damper was only at 3.

The damper was also necessary to stabilise bad behaviour of wheel as i have FFB at 100% although reduced percent of game forces.

I figured that AMS2 probably does a good job of simulating different cars wheel FFB/and power steering or absence of, so i didn't need to Natural Friction and Intertia to simulate more weight in the wheel or resistance, which can also hide details.

But main thing was just reducing the actual damper in the fanatec app to 0 and also natural friction to 0.
    And making in game damper to around 30-40, though the number doesnt seem to matter as i think its mainly the fanatec app interfering with the feel. May need to make it higher like 50+ as it helps reduce the oscilaltions im still having in some cars at high speed
    But then i found the tires no longer felt a like soft springy pillows (especially in caterham as the problem is more severe there) but actual things that were rotating and gripping the road.

The F-Ultimate gen 2 also no longer felt light and "hollow" and the car movements on screen seemed much more connected to what i was feeling through the wheel.

I chose caterham Academy as i saw that its tires werent updated in the latest hotfix and tried switching between settings.
    When i used the Fanatec app damper instead of in game damper, the car clearly felt uncertain and floaty in the corners, a bit nervous.

When i used in-game damper only, it still was a bit floaty but it felt more like a normal behaviour even if it can still be improved, and it wouldnt normally stand out to me as a problem. The tires felt more connected to the road.

I think as well as physics, our brain works to translate what we feel in FFB to the way the car is behaving, so can even make tires feel disconnected or connected. In my case, most already felt connected just they felt way too soft. As i think damper directly relates to tire forces felt.

So it could explain some of the different experiences people have depending on their wheel and wheel settings, and in game FFB settings or even different FFB files/custom FFB. It could be in part a different subjective feeling of the car through FFB even though physics are the same.

For example i know when i used the Custom FFB the chasis movement of the car when i view through the cockpit feels disconnected to me. But the Default+ FFB puts the weight movement of the car through FFB so the car feels a lot more connected, even though the actualy car physics haven't changed.

Reiza has suggested to use their in game damper rather than set it to low value like a lot of people do in other sims, as maybe their one has been devloped quite well

From their development notes in November update last year:
    "Aside from additional info provided in Default+ , we also did a lot of work on damping, which is inherent to any steering system and something we strongly advise to be used to some degree as it doesn´t take anything away from the feedback, instead working in sync with the vehicle you drive - it depends not just on steering velocity, but vehicle velocity, lateral acceleration, tires slip, oversteer. All of that is taken into account on damping, making it usable and helpful instead of simply providing viscous-like resistance to wheel turning."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dolph

Yeah, I'm sure they diagnosed that instantly since its probably one of two things they changed there.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Was it just me or did that race end a lap too soon?

10. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Does this mean the GT1 cars will get their low downforce wings in the hotfix? I was expecting that might be part of the latest hotfix, but it wasn’t in the notes.

11. CrimsonEminence

They will not get their low downforce variants (yet).

12. CrimsonEminence

Hotfix for the crashes is now live!

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. selwyn gregory

selwyn gregory Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a bug in the lap count and sometimes the first lap shows as lap 0 so you get the correct amount of laps it just shows one short.
    As it's random it can catch you out if you don't notice.

14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Another important note folks, for the time being classes other than the F-USA do not have AI set up for oval racing so they may not work very well there - in future updates we will add oval configuration to a few more classes that suit it and AI oval overrides to benefit all other classes.

• Informative Informative x 16
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Dolph

Yeah, that's been there forever :(

16. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

That hotfix dropped just as I finished re-installing AMS2, (I thought give it a clean slate for this major update). I'd tested 1.4 before uninstalling too, and it might just be my imagination, but everything feels much better now. Who knows? But wow, every class I randomly chose is so tight and connect to the road. The vintage cars are especially nice now.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

As to the hotfix...

Formula Trainer Advanced - Brilliant work! With all driving aids off, I can drive like a lunatic, throw it around, steer with the throttle, all the while laughing like my mind has gone, all the way around the track. The Formula Trainer Advanced is now officially FUN!

Old Stock Opala - Better, but still in danger of being overtaken by grandmothers on their way to the grocery store. I'm sure they're fast, but one can't be sure as driving them to their potential is not really possible. I could run circles around them all the way around the track with a 1979 or 1986 Opala, and still cross the finish line before them. They need more work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Did not expect a fix so soon, thank you!

Tried F-USA Gen 1 in Fontana. They improved quite a bit in their packiness, still not 100% realistic I guess but a huge movement in the right direction. What is more immersion-breaking is their relative pace comparing to a human driver. They appear to tap the brakes (or at least lifting hard) in T1-T2 and at the same time they are reaaally fast in T3.

I did not test long races yet to see how the AI behaves in terms of tire/fuel management and strategy. For what I can evaluate now, I feel this is really near to be magical. I expected a long journey after the initial release before being at this point.

BTW, I still lost a position when passed under yellow. While this can be avoided by being careful when pacing, it would be nice if it improved.

On a final note: we appreciate what you are doing, thank you guys. Sometimes I read myself and it sounds that I'm just demanding and demanding, and this applies to other users as well. I think most of us are trying give the best feedback to help you, and not just throwing a tantrum. I just think it is good to point it sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO Active Member

Essa Fontana maior pode ser

Attached Files:

20. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah the Opala old is in bad shape. I increased the steering lock to max and that helped a little bit but it feels like you are driving around with broken suspension. I can't get over 60 MPH without losing it. The 79 and 86 are both spectacular.

Everything else feels ****ing amazing right now. I tried car after car and everyone one was more fun than the last!! I'm not sure why I haven't seen any mention of the Super V8, maybe it was this good after 1.3.8 (didn't drive it much) but it is unreal right now!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1