Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

After all these updates, something that still annoys me to no end with AMS2 is that you can't really navigate the UI with your just wheel, at least with my wheel (TM TS-PC), even though it's supposedly supported. At this point any modern Sim racing title should have remappable menu commands. Why is it such an issue? Because I race exclusively in VR, which forces me to take the headset off every time I want to chose a livery or do some other basic thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well bugger me! After a 2.5 hour re-D/L and then install, set it all up exactly the same as it was, EXACTLY! Now after about a full 1.5 hr test (testing alot to make sure its not just a placebo thing, cause that 'I want it to be better' is a powerful thing, but i was sceptical this would do anything!

It has! Its such a tiny difference but its just right! FFB Tighter, (feels quicker, even, but that might just be down to tighter feel), much easier to react quickly to going over the limit.

Biggest surprise was it seems to have sorted out the BMW GT4's very, very twitchy steering, like the lock was wrong before.

I dunno if a full re-install is even needed, maybe I could have just deleted my docs folder and it would have made same difference (which i've not done since reiza first said we did'nt need to do that anymore), or maybe its just a case of i've not re-calibrated my wheel and pedals for so long its somehow slipped out a bit over time), but whatever it is, im glad I did it! Cheers!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The F1 trainer and Caterham were all hotfixed last night...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tarmac Terrorist

Yup, it does feel tighter!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, F-Trainers are an absolute nightmare, slightly drifting even in a straight line, zero contact between the rears and the track, just a horrible car.

I don't necessarily think others have gotten worse, too (MCR P4 was a pure drift car before the update and got slightly improved even; it's still excessively low grip though), but these cars are currently undrivable.

Yeah, I know, but they are still not in a usable state; I tested them just an hour ago and had one of the worst driving experiences in AMS2.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Theodore Schultz

Honestly I haven't given them a test but I sure will in a few hours.

7. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I wrote this up after testing throughout the morning after installing the Patch, just try the Formula Trainer Advanced at Oulton Park & let me know your thoughts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Theodore Schultz

I sure will. I don't doubt you just wasn't sure if was before or after installing the hotfix. The Opala Old stock also needs some work. May I ask what FFB setting are you running?

9. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's my current setup/settings...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tarmac Terrorist

Just to chime in here quickly. Yes, the Opalas are all great apart from the old stock version, which now drives like it's got bowling balls swinging around in the back and the tires seem off to!.

The formula trainers arnt great, and the basic model is on semi slicks on track but in the discription of it it now says it has softs or wets.

For folks feeling like they are on ice in the Indycars when they first go out on the oval tracks, there seems to be a bug. If before you drive you go into setup and change tires from Auto by weather to speedway slicks it sorts it right out and feels good again, even if you then change back to Auto by weather it's fine, seems you just need to do it once.

Having said all that pretty much every other car I've tried is fecking ace!

Oh thanks very much for fixing the Retro Gen 2's. Great now!

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I only race in VR as I have no screen's in front of my rig and I never have to take my headset off to select things.
    There are two ways to go about this:

1. I have a Logitech MX Ergo Wireless Trackball Mouse right next to my shifter which doesn't move and is always there when needed. If I don't want to use Gaze Control below I just use my trackball mouse.

2. The other thing you can do is go to options then virtual reality and under Gaze Control select "manual select".
    This does the following if you don't have a mouse:
    When the gaze control dot comes up in the middle of the screen just hover the dot over what you want to select by looking at it and press the button on your wheel that you have mapped to enter/select. This will select what ever you're looking at with gaze control and you never have to take off your headset or use a mouse or wheel buttons other then enter/select.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Theodore Schultz

I would recommend trying out Default and see if that changes anything for you or try this custom one by @Danielkart

Default and Default + (toned down) feel great but they do give that more "floating" sliding feeling when you break grip, which can be very helpful to feel the limit but some do not like that sensation. With the custom, I at least do not get the floating feeling which can be more difficult to sense the limit but I am 2-3 seconds faster (depending on track and car obviously) with the custom file.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Indeed they were . Tried the formula trainer this morning and can't honestly say it feels any better.
    Hot lapping around Silverstone national and , well to be honest drifting around Silverstone national is a more accurate description!! Coming out of the last corner before the start / finish line felt like driving on a wet track , rear grip was incredibly low to the point where I could spin the rears up in third from fairly low rpm in a straight line .
    Also going down the straight the car was very difficult to keep in a straight line.
    I'm sure there's something amiss still with this car .

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

So much Talk (and sometimes confusion) about FFB settings.
    Reiza, plz, the looong ago promised FFB guide plzzzz.

strong DDs do not need LFB.
    No damping in wheel software (damping 0), set damping ingame.

good start point for dd1 fanatec is wheel software FFB strength 50,
    Ingame:
    FFB strengh 50
    FX 50
    LFB 0
    Damping 30

tune from here to personal preference

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I noticed after the hotfix, FRetro Gen 2 are slow in Fontana. I pass them all in one lap in 120 strength. I know Renato pointed that non-oval cars don't have a right setup, but I just report it FYI (and it is a car that would be nice to be refined for oval racing at some point since it mimmicks well an 80s CART).
    What is interesting is that, though they are slow, they have a more consistent line w.r.t. human drivers than F-USAs (at least Gen 1, which I tested). They neither brake in T2 nor are too fast in T3.

About people saying F-USAs are too loose, I'm quite sure they are not. Do not expect to lap full throttle right from the pits, a banked oval is not a straight line. The gas pedal is not a light switch and it applies both when pushing it, and when lifting it (Lift-off oversteer - Wikipedia).

What is true is that if you overdrive the car and oversteer you can go sideways and still control it. I don't know if they are too forgiving, but what I know is that in all sims they are usually too unforgiving (for instance, recall that video of J. Newgarden analyzing iRacing tire behaviour). Supossing they are too forgiving here, if you expect a correction to make them iRacing-like, that would be an overcorrection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Yeah, one fresh install later and I can't really feel much of a difference in car feel, I'm sure it might be there but it's not exactly night and day
    Did realise just how good the optimisation was though, I mean the game resetting me to its default High settings made me realise that, in the dry at least, I'm able to run 32 cars with a buttery 60 on my aging rig on those settings which is just...absurd, frankly (even if rain brings my PC back to its knees but that's expected because rain in any sim is gonna murder your framerate)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I uninstalled the game completely before downloading it once the v1.4 patch was released. So I have never driven it with anything but a clean install. But very shortly, I started noticing that I wasn't having most of the problems that I was seeing reported.

That being the case, I would think that deleting the, "My Documents" folder and doing a Steam file integrity check would have the same effect. If a full reinstall is necessary, I'm very puzzled as to why that would be. File verification should do the exact same thing.

I do my own set ups on the cars, every time. The default set ups are okay in most cases, but VERY conservative from my point of view. And I have bumped into a few default set ups that were actually problematic. But most are good, though extremely conservative.

I push the cars very hard. I drive from the point of view that if power got me in trouble, more power will get me out of trouble. And I've seen a few problems mentioned that could probably be ironed out by pushing a bit harder.

And FFB. I saw that @Marc Collins posted some worthwhile comments earlier, and provided a link to a good basic guide to sorting out your FFB. I've been working on that, and though I was quite happy with Default+ right out of the box, dialing it in myself is making it even better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Iracing doesn’t have CART so not a fair comparison to the ir18. IRacing’s car if any is less forgiving at about 97% + to the edge then it’s bye bye. I personally think the Yaw on the CART car here is goo, I haven’t tried the new patch from last night, I will when I get home

19. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  20. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Try dropping caster to 3.0 and reducing steering lock to 16.0 and see what you think. It might help.