Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or maybe all they are doing is removing wrong car feelings that were introduced through bad FFB settings....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ettore

What Reiza mentioned back in 2020 when they recommended using only in-game damping was that in-game is scaling correctly based on the car as per Reiza's coding while the wheelbase does not scale.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are the number of tyre sets we can choose from still planned for 1.4? In one of the hotfixes maybe?

5. munkyboo

munkyboo Member

Nice, but was wondering if that means you set Game damper effect strength (DPR) to 0 as well?
    As the tooltip says it adjusts the damper effects coming from the game, but since fanalab damper is at 0 now, i think it would just be affecting the game damper setting.
    If you set DPR to 0, would the AMS2 damper be negatively affected?

I tried messing around with those settings in the Caterham superlight .
    I found when i reduced Fanalab DPR effect strength to 0, the tire feel and floatiness actually felt better to me when In-game damper was set at 0 rather than at 50, which was a bit strange.

When i reverted Fanalab DPR effect to my normal value of 60%, the in-game damper of 50 felt a lot better and detailed tire sensation, and i preferred it to having it at 0.

And as expected, if in game damper was set to 0, it didnt seem to make a difference whether fanalab DPR was set to 0% or 60%

My thought is that since AMS2 made their version of damper more detailed and integrated, maybe by setting DPR to 0 in Fanalab it is eliminating a big part of the in game damper function while some other parts of it remain. So then you get an imbalanced feel to the in game damper setting

Wondering if Marc could shed light on this. Should we just leave the Game damper (DPR) in fanalab to a normal value such as 100% generally, as it affects how the game outputs damper? Seeing as fanalab damper setting is already turned off anyway.

6. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I’ve always had my wheel settings the same for each sim including ams2, everything off except for ffb strength, force strength and force intensity. Anything more than those three, you start to muddy the games ffb and details felt synthetic. I’m going to revisit dirt rally 2.0 wheel settings because I have wheel base filters on for that.
    As a dd user, you associate damping to equals bad.
    I get annoyed when a car in rf2 makes me need to turn on smoothing because kerb details rattle my teeth haha in rf2 with car specific multiplier, you learn lower is always better and that principle I should have applied to AMS2 FX and LFB. But I never would have thought to move both to zero.
    Now I understand damping in ams2, my brain is processing it as blending rather than damping and it then makes more sense to me and not to be reluctant to use it.
    The power of words and language!
    I do think more people would have the light bulb moments if the ffb had a page in game with more details on how the ffb works and was less vague and possibly a hyperlink to Reiza forum with a detailed article like yours fully explaining it. I never ever would have sussed it out, without your words and hyperlink and I’ll bet there’s a lot more folks out there in need of help too.
    One other suggestion would be that each flavour your settings stay as input per flavour. When you change flavour the settings are static and you have to change them each time. For QOL it would be great that when I switch between flavours, they maintain their individual settings.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  7. James Lee GTE

Give my settings a try, do a few laps with a clear mind and see how you get on.
    Only suggestions I would make would be to bump ams2 gain and damping by increments of 5 for a dd1 and possibly ffb strength on the wheel too.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  8. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How do you turn fanalab off? Simply closing the programs still keeps current values?

9. James Lee GTE

I have edited that message, because as you have pointed out, it was very poorly worded by me. Apologies

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Dynamic FFB is the only function in FanaLab that could affect the FFB. All other functions simply change the tuning menu values on the base. So if you have Dynamic FFB disabled in FanaLab, you will have exactly the same FFB with or without FanaLab.

11. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

After the oval latest AI pass the AI calibration is still very bad, while the massive turn to turn pace inconsistencies at Fontana I experienced are reduced there is a massive AI pace difference between two new oval tracks. At Fontana I need to lower the AI difficulty down to the low 80's just to be able to compete while at Gateway the AI is still easy pass 100.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with the ffb after the latest updates , or before for that matter. I think a couple cars are suffering negative effects post update ( formula trainer especially) which no amount of tweaking ffb or re- installation will fix , I've tried all of the suggested tweaks and it hasn't made the slightest difference.
    I'm sure Reiza will re visit these cars and adjust accordingly as they certainly aren't as good as they were prior to 1.4 .

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

NOTE...
    I don't like to point these things out as I FULLY understand AND appreciate the hours of hard work that goes into AMS2, but if everyone raves about it and the doubters come back to the title with higher expectations and the basics are not quite right it's even more damaging and there's also the risk of fans going off the title (not likely as we all know AMS2 has the ability and content to be one of the best ever). Again, just my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Manetti

John Manetti Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The multy player the bug returned when entering the lobby. If you don't have the same car or class as the race is set up in the server, after about 20-30 seconds it kicks you out and the problem continues until you immediately set the car class with which you are he is running.
    Can I make a small impression on myself? I understand that you have not put your hand to the multiplayer side, but at least to patch this problem permanently, I don't think it's so expensive.
    The multiplayer in this game is often frustrating, and I speak as a supporter, which unfortunately only runs online.

15. RDG

RDG Active Member

Only two things are holding AMS2 back right now and that's the AI and the audio. The AI still feels very artificial with it constantly pulling moves that are physically impossible for the player to pull and the fact they race in an unnatural manner. I'd gladly sacrifice some performance in order for the AI to run the player's physics if at all possible in this engine.

As for the audio, I hope there are some plans on upgrading the audio engine to include more ambient car sounds and add more 'grit' to the engine notes. The engine sounds are all a bit 'skinny' if you ask me, desperately needs more range, reverb and 'grit' if that makes sense. If you drive the Formula V12 it should sound like there's a rabid banshee right behind you, where as right now it just sounds like an slightly annoyed housefly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. Matt The Sim Racers Arms

Matt The Sim Racers Arms Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well done Reiza, the work done on the JCW Mini it's fantastic (along with new content), the JCW Mini with high(ish) (105 skill + Med Aggression) AI settings makes for very entertaining racing at Oulton Park & Brands Hatch and how I imagine these cars would feel (also the audio is pretty good too). Great job! :D

• Like Like x 4
  17. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

I couldn’t agree more. As an alternative perspective to the previous DD wheel user experiences shared, my opinion is that AMS2 V1.4.1.2 generally has a consistent driving feel across most vehicles, with the Formula Trainers being a notable exception—they are simply atrocious, at least as of this morning. There are probably a few more outliers, but that list does seem to be dwindling with each update.

My approach since V1.3, if not before, is simply to drive the cars that are sorted out and ignore the others until Reiza sorts them out for me. It’s not like there isn’t an abundance of content already. It doesn’t take long for the community to help Reiza identify the bad apples, but Reiza is the only one that can truly fix such issues.

• Like Like x 1
  18. munkyboo

munkyboo Member

Dont think there is anything wrong with 1.4 that wasn’t there before 1.4, apart from already mentioned car specific issues.

Just with DD wheels some learned of a few ffb settings changes to help improve the experience a lot

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

I really appreciate Reiza's participation in the forum, but it can be a little frustrating for all the feedback being gathered here, ideas and such, and no idea if they are agreeing, disagreeing, fixing what we mention etc. I understand why though, small team, awesome game with lots to do. Most of us here just want the game to succeed and the team to get the recognition they deserve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Ettore

Generally developers are pretty busy with the development work. They tend to be pretty aware of what is being discussed and often they incorporate into the sim without much of an announcement depending on how "long hanging" of a fruit is a given idea.
    The most day to day active guys in the forum from the Reiza team are Crimson and Marc usually.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1