1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Ohh forgive me I didn’t agree with you, I have to learn to tote the line. I’m glad you can read attitudes through a text, typing etc without a visual or voice. I’d give an emoji but this forum is on pace with the 98 CART cars

• Dislike Dislike x 6
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

@Don Hunter was your mentioned turbo failure and oil leak in the Gen 2 CART car "random?" By random I mean you had not over-revved the engine at that point (improper/premature down shifts; delays in up shifts; riding the red line on an oval due to incorrect gearing)? There was no engine wear showing in the HUD?

Like all elements in the game, there will be a need for adjustments and tweaks across all vehicles as the Advanced Mechanical Damage Modeling (AMDM) system gets rolled out. We can report instances where incidence of non-user-caused failures seem too high. But that being said, a system that rewards equipment preservation and punishes abuse of equipment is likely to be fairly controversial in the sim racing world where unrealistic (unsustainable) treatment of equipment has become the norm in some circles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Really? Do you watch motorsports?
    My stepfather races in a regional championship where I live. In the last 3 races we could not actually compete a full Sunday by completely random failures. We had a broken timing belt, a seized engine, coolant leaks, etc.

Some cars (and full categories) are more reliable than others, but random failures are there in any. As explained, of course the damage model takes abuse into account. Sudden failures are rare, and you can disable the feature if you want to.

Btw, I did not get any random failure in about 15 hours of play. I blown a couple of engines and destroyed a gearbox, but it was definitely not random :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Ravajava

Ravajava New Member AMS2 Club Member

Did a longer oval race with some league friends last night and noticed a really cool detail I don't think I've seen anyone mention. When you are in the tow in the CART cars engine temps rise, requiring you to get clean air to cool off before putting on the chase again. Really appreciated that detail. Idk if it has always been there and oval racing just made it visible.

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes this is an addition to further increase the dependency of taking care of the car.

It also affects AI btw., so AI that is driving behind other cars is as influenced by this like you are. This has been added also in completeness in the 1.4 cycle. AI is also adjusting its cooling ducts and some might do some more mistakes in setting it up than others depending on their individual skills. :)

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I raced, not just a sim jockey. random break downs are caused by either a part failure or just breaking from another component contributing to a failure. This random here is like watching the lottery balls bouncing around in the fish bowl and your # comes up, boom, you get (read back of fortune cookie) transmission failure, turbo. If your really aggressive on curbs you could break a suspension piece, calipers falling out, tie Rod, shocks. Crimson posted all the cars with the % of random occurrences, but he’s since removed it.

7. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

The notes don’t mention this feature being on the CART cars? (Below )Turbo failure popped up and I first thought that’s because I was pushing the redline and at 100% turbo. There’s been a lot of information, lots of hot fixes (which is good) and trying to keep up with all the posts, you’ll miss a few here and there.

As you stated, you use the word random most sim racers think 1 thing, no thanks. I like ams2, there’s some things that I like and others I don’t. I want to have an an experience to the real
    Deal as possible. Putting a % next to a car on if or will it will fail randomly, hmm

• AMDM: Added M1 Procar to the list of classes featuring AMDM
    Introducing Advanced Mechanical Damage Modeling: AMDM is currently featuring with most open wheelers, GTs and faster prototypes. To make use of it, make sure to enable MECHANICAL FAILURES in GAMEPLAY UI. Try a race any of the historic open wheelers against AI (especially F-Vintage) with random failures enabled. to more readily experience the new feature. Custom AI creators may want to look into the new reliability parameter we added. We will extend this feature to more classes in the near future, but the most notoriously unreliable race cars already are supported

Added Advanced Mechanical Damage Modelling for: F-Vintage (both gens), F-Retro (all gens), F-Classic (all gens), F-V12, F-V10 (both gens), F-Reiza, F-Ultimate (both gens

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Random break downs caused by either a part failure or just breaking from another component contributing to a failure are exactly like watching the lottery balls bouncing around in the fish bowl.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I have posted nothing like that and removed nothing. Refrain from sharing misinformation.

Again:

AMDM isn't random failures but is various damage types that can fail when the respective parts aren't handled with care, that means:

Your suspension is damaged: Chance of losing a wheel
    Your Engine runs hot for extended time: Chance of oil leaks, coolant leaks, terminal failures, etc.

All F-USA have AMDM btw.
    I highly recommend you to leave it be at this point, you're generating a lot of unnecessary noise, the system was explained a few times by now.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I think FX is really a matter of taste and what details and sensations are important to you to feel for your tastes.
    I tried FX again last night on settings 1 and 2 and whilst I can feel hard braking more clearly, that sensation being amplified is not important to me. Especially so because I lose the smoothness with FX turned on and I start getting wheel notches and twitches through high speed turns at Silverstone.
    I’m mostly using default + now and when you turn FX on for that flavour, I get extra details and you could argue extra forces on the wheel that to my personal tastes are not as important to me as a smooth and what I perceive to be a more natural feeling wheel.
    Reading others on here using Fanatec equipment and playing with FX, I think the personal taste range lays somewhere between 0 and 5 for FX, dependent on wheel strength and FFB strengths, forces and intensity settings on the wheel itself.
    What I’ve taken away from all these valuable notes on this thread and peoples settings and experiences, is that we now have a clear settings range to experiment with for personal tastes, for both wheel base settings and AMS2 settings. Where previously everybody was walking around in the dark trying to figure out these complex settings with vague in game descriptions and in combination with their complex wheel settings. Now more people are having that ffb lightbulb moment and are having Improved experiences with AMS2!
    Yesterday I put more hours into AMS2 than I had done for the entirety of 2022 and only stopped because my left leg and both arms were absolutely knackered haha. I’ll be playing all day again today, well I won’t be playing when F1 is on, but other than that I’m on all day.
    Again that’s massively thanks to you and of course everyone who has contributed on the topic on this thread! I’m really enjoying reading this thread to see others having that ffb lightbulb moment.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Should the wording of the "Random failures" feature in the game options be changed since the failures are not actually completely random but tied to car abuse? Alternatively there could be an explanation box on the right side of the game options that tells you what the option you currently have selected entails - at least for the ones that aren't quite obvious.

Sorry, I don't mean to go back to the debate. I'm just wondering if there's room for extra clarity in the UI regarding this matter.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've managed to damage the clutch/gerabox of F-USA Gen 2's car when leaving the pit box (engaged the gear with to high revs) and had no drive whatsoever. This teaches you massively how to treat those cars. I'm loving it personally, even if it backfires.

We're all happy with the tyre management, why there's so much negativity around car management? It's like playing a rally game with damage completely off...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've done that with the F-USA Gen 3. I think the damage was toned down a little bit for that car after the initial 1.4 release. I had some serious trouble shifting properly back then. :D

14. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

I m with you, it should be possible to disable „random failure“ for the players car

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Gyarmati Dávid

Gyarmati Dávid New Member

Hey @Renato Simioni! Do you guys are working on new european tracks? Or at least is planned to add new EU circuits to the game? I would love to see my home track: Hungaroring or maybe Zandvoort with the bankings, Mugello... you know :) But im more than satisfied with the current roaster

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  16. MrGit

MrGit Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Turning off AMDM would give the player an inherent advantage over the ai in that there would be no recompense for having a heavy handed driving style.

Really don't need it as an option, just learn to moderate that right foot. :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

All I asked for was a List of currently supported AMDM vehicles o_O

Anyway the way I see it;
    • An Option to turn Off AMDM for the Users car would be good, not everyone is an Ace Sim Racer and they might not want their quick 20minute a week race ruined by a failure on the last lap. Options are good for everyone, forcing things on Users are not.
    • Random failures *should* be part of AMDM in some shape or form, i.e. a puncture from a stray bit of bodywork, blown engine through regular use (does happen), power steering loss....the list goes on. Mechanical gremlins are part and parcel of car racing whether the driver abused the car or not.
    • As for the AI again an Option for them to have it or not, no harm no foul, as above Options work for everybody :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Having somewhat realistic mechanical failures that punish overdriving is a huge feature that adds so much more realism that any other racing simulator can currently offer. As long as it's clearly communicated what is going wrong with the car ("you smoked the clutch, fool"), I'm all for it.

Sim racers who treat sim racing as Guitar Hero on wheel and pedals (press accelerator at 0.01 s wrong time with tyre pressures 0.1 psi off and you will lose 1 sec of lap time, hurr durr) who don't like it can always turn off AMDM, indestructible cars, no tyre wear, and track set to clear 25 C noon conditions with heavy rubber as is the norm in many online lobbies.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

The left mirror cannot be horizontally adjusted in the F-USA Gen3 Reynard Honda (I think? The not-KOOL sponsored green/white car), at least in the Superspeedway Configuration (tested af Fontana).

20. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There's a list published in the opening post of the custom AI parameters thread, under the vehicle_reliability parameter.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1