1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

This a gazillion percent!

In recent times, sim racing has evolved into a mostly binary proposition where the machinery and tracks are both perfectly predictable all of the time - encouraging drivers to use exactly the same inputs lap after lap, with any deviation having a negative impact. This is not how motorsport works in the real world.

Reiza are to be hugely commended for simulating things like variable weather and track conditions, and now variable mechanical conditions. It brings sim racing closer to the dynamic reality that real drivers actually deal with. Needing to nurse cars home. Not always driving at 10 tenths. Assessing and mitigating risk.

I really, really hope they continue to explore this pathway. It's absolutely awesome.

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

AC has been doing blown engines for some time. It is not as sophisticated as the Reiza implementation but if you keep over doing the engine, it takes damage loses power and eventually dies.

3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Grand Prix 2 had engine failures in the 1990s, it's nothing new but in recent times has been largely forgotten by most Devs, so yeah good to see Reiza bringing these features back in to Sim Racing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I tried out this theory this morning and I see the logic behind DPR 100 because of Fanatec wording and descriptions of how it works.
    I tried DPR at 100 and just for the fun of it 120 and 50 also. 100 is the one to use if you choose to use Fanatec damping. This is a proper damping filter and it did exactly that, it dampened all details and I was on the path to numb rather than dampened. I turned AMS2 damping down to 20, 10, 2 and 0 and I could not get the clarity back with Fanatec DPR on 100.
    In the end Fanatec DPR remains on 0, but thanks to you, I have now turned AMS2 damping down from 30 to 24 and I’m now getting nicer and more detailed kerbs and road textures, so thank you for peaking my curiosity to try out your new settings, because I’m even happier with mine now!
    Because of that my working theory is that AMS2 damping is better described and similar to RF2 smoothing. It’s almost like a mix of smoothing and blending rather than damping.
    This possibly explains why in AMS2 you have selected a very similar damping setting to me, when in reality it should probably be much higher. This is based on default + for reference.
    Personally I would try turning off Fanatec DPR and set to 0 and then increase AMS2 damping in increments of 10 to find a sweet spot and then narrow it down from there. You may be losing and damping out FFB details because of fanatecs damping filter. Certainly worth a trial and comparison before the F1 starts.
    I’m hoping this helps, so I can return the favour.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Chill guys... my cousin stepdad grandfather used to produce the "I am the ramdomness" bumpsticker.
    I m not the ordinary simmer and i know things!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Your cousin’s stepdad’s grandfather must have been trying to cash in on the popularity of the “Sh*t Happens” movement. Both are accurate descriptions of the vagaries of motorsport.

7. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Tony Scott used really long lenses (telephoto), to get that sort of flat, compressed look to the races and character shots. It makes all his work very distinctive and slightly claustrophobic. Anyway, that’s why it looks so different to what we see in the real world.

edit: wow! You were actually there?! That’s freakin’ amazing. That movie gets panned by just about everyone, but I love it, and so does Quentin Tarantino, and he knows a thing or two about movies. ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

In Nascar 2003 I was impressed with the loss of gears.
    We were forced to skip the broken gear and even the engine could break with new oil filling the cars behind.
    These are beautiful things, which must help you to take a philosophical approach to what can happen to you on the track.
    If the era of indestructible cars ends, the era of respect towards opponents and towards one's own car, even virtual, begins.
    :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Yes!!!
    orc meme.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Yeah, I was there for other reasons, I didn't have anything to do with the movie. But they were filming it at the time, so we got to see a lot of the filming. It was kind of interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I like that there's an on/off switch. Sometimes I like to simulate reality.

But lately, I've switched it off, because I've been seriously abusing the Formula Trainer Advanced and a bunch of the Copa Classic cars.

But once I've had my fill of driving like a mad man, I'll switch it back on. It's a great feature. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you click long enough it will actually adjust. Something like past 70 or so.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Not highlighting this post because it is positive towards Reiza, but because I think it encapsulates the philosophy of AMS (yes, even the first one with its more limited technology).

If you share this philosophy, you are probably a bit more likely to be patient as all this wonderment gets rolled-out over a fairly long stretch of time. The end result will be special and perhaps unique in today's racing sim world.

If you do not share the philosophy, hopefully you still like AMS 2 enough to turn off these features and have fun in a less authentic manner. Your purchases help support the intensive development work on the realistic side of the fence ;)

And, I know that many who initially don't care to use these features will some day try it out, perhaps after they have some more sim racing experience, with a new sense of enjoyment from really being able to "manage" a race car in addition to just piloting one. All you have to do is watch any motor sports with commentary to realize what a huge role the management of heat and tires plays in wining a race and how often mechanical glitches or failures can impact race results. I would guesstimate it is at least equal to the amount that pure speed/driving skill plays.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I've been buying Reiza racing titles from the beginning, and they have all been great for their time. But AMS2 has risen to new heights. I barely launch my other racing games anymore, and the ones that I have driven since the v1.4 update have not fared well in the comparison. I drove in rFactor 2 for a few minutes the other day and couldn't wait to get back to Automobilista 2.

As for the advanced features, I like them when I actually race and I'm trying for maximum realism.

But when I'm just thrashing a favorite car at a favorite track, I turn off the failures and damage. So it depends on what I'm doing.

By the way folks, Ginettas and Oulton Park were meant for each other. Just pick your favorite Ginetta and your favorite Oulton Park layout, and you can't miss. :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

I had a race where for some reason the AI went into double yellow mode during the cooldown lap, it actually was nice to be able to pit without worrying about an AI obliterating the rear of my car at the pit entrance. It'd be nice if it was made a feature, or at least Reiza made it so that during the cooldown lap the AI doesn't think it's still racing, trying to overtake and rear-ending you when you dare to brake early especially when pitting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Exactly. Add a NEW DLC pack called "European Pack" and include Bannochbrae and Le Mans.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I wish Reiza could somehow get the Btcc from studio 397 because those cars are wasted in that particular sim, imo.
    Hopefully something might happen

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Or they get the WEC license and release a car pack AND a track pack. Could happen now MPG will likely go bankrupt and Indycar have already started talking with them.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

And a UK pack including Goodwood, Knockhill, and Thruxton, among others.

Mondello would be nice too, though it's not in the UK.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ricardokil

Ricardokil Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like to leave a comment new update 1.4.
    Overall it was a very welcome advance, I played again with all the cars and 90% were much better, the only point that still bothers me is the StockCar 2020 to 2022, the physics is not bad, it improved but when you play and especially in replays, the SIM gives the feeling that I have a car from another category, my car, slips more, brakes the wheels a lot more, this hinders the experience a little, while the AIs make the curves as if the car was glued to the ground, they brake much more inside the corner and do not lock the wheels, the player correction for everything that is lateral, I think the physics of Stock is not 100% because seeing the real races in the transmissions, the cars despite being difficult, do not continue moving sideways and locking wheels like our car on SIM.