1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Sure, nobody is keeping you from doing that. Most default setups right now are pretty easy and safe however, sometimes the cars even feel a bit bland. But that is to be expected with 1 default setup for wet/dry, different temperatures, tracks, tyre compounds, etc.

Adjusting these very basic things that work pretty similar in every car can help you do little adjustments to pretty big effect in my opinion. If you don't want to do that, you can still use the jack-of-all-trades default setup.

I also vaguely remember a 2nd default setup option being in the cards for the future, maybe @steelreserv can give a bit of info on that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. s0cks

s0cks New Member

Ah yes, it allowed you to tell him what the car was doing and he would make recommendations right? Honestly, that game did have some gems in it. Shame about the driving bit lol.

3. Justdave

Justdave Member

Oh, I understand and I get it...but I was replying to @CrimsonEminence statement. It isn't that easy, or sometimes there just isnt enough time to screw around..I just want to play the game and enjoy it. Let the tweakers tweak to get the next best lap time..it's cool. Should not be mandatory. That's all.

edit: Crimson said: "
    Everybody can learn to at least adjust wing, ARB and ride height + knowing what it does. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes of googling in todays times, so it's not even hard to learn."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  4. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes and that’s why I am still playing this Sim today despite the improvements seen in AMS2
    PC2 with a Custom FFB like Jack Spade or more recently Popsracer from RD will reward you with a pretty enjoyable driving experience in many car/track combos

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are tool tips for each car setup parameter. I actually find tweaking setups to be a good immersive thing. Being able to know about setups helps you to tailor the cat to your own driving style. What is not yo like about that? You have to remember it is a simulator and setup knowledge is all part of that simulation. The defaults are there for a reason but no two people are alike so you cannot have X number of defaults to pander to every single user.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Justdave

Justdave Member

And that is fine and dandy, BUT the default cars should be capable "as default". I shouldn't have to keep explaining this. I mean..the cars should not be "broken" using default setup. People said, "I set up the car and it's fine.." It should not be broken as "default". I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

What is your definition of "decent setup"?

Because if you are talking about a setup that let you feel what the car is all about or, at the most, let you do some average driving, than I can agree... but if you are talking about a fast setup that will allow you to win online races, beat 100+% AI with easy or set LB records, them I'm sorry, but the skills and patience of those who spent their time under their bonnet MUST be rewarded.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Default setups are ****ty by definition.

Besides, which track should be used as the standard to make the default setup? Because you know, a default setup won't work the same on many tracks...

If you want a default setup that works for every track, then the default setup should go the very safe understeery way. Then some people will come here and say the setup is broken and "It should not be broken as "default". I don't know why that is so hard to understand."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Justdave

Justdave Member

A car that doesnt slide all over the place like on ice. Like people said.."I set up the car and it's fine" well to me it isn't. I do not do Online Racing..and if I did..you bet yer fur I would learn how to set up a car for that. I play offline and the cars I enjoy..been bitching about for the last week and a half...suck.

10. Justdave

Justdave Member

Well that is a great way to turn people off from this game. As I stated..If you want to tweak and make the car better...DO IT!! If you want to just enjoy a well rounded car for your own enjoyment....this needs work.

11. Justdave

Justdave Member

Still waiting on @Oubaas ...

Oh, and while I am on the subject. @Oubaas , can you please share your "setup" for the F-Trainer? Or maybe do a hotlap on time trial mode and we can just download it..you know..to try it out. Just asking because I can't set up a car worth beans..maybe you have the magic touch.:).

12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Doing a decent set-up has nothing to do with magic. I grew up around cars and racing in real life. I understand cars pretty well, and have driven a lot of good ones in real life.

The UI includes notes on the entries in the set-up screen. There is also a, "Test Day" feature.

Anyone who reads the UI notes can change one item at a time, run a few laps, go back to the pits and tweak again, until the car feels right, the tire temperatures look good, and the lap times show improvement.

Everybody drives differently. I drive from a point of view that makes me hit the throttle when most people would be going for the brake. My set-ups would not necessarily suit someone else. There is no one-size-fits-all in race car set-ups.

The default set-ups are very stable, but very conservative. A few changes can make a big difference. Learning to set-up a car doesn't take long. It's easier than many people think. And it's a fundamental part of racing. A driver that doesn't have enough knowledge of the car to tell the crew what he needs when he pits isn't going to win many races.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

I understand. You want an easy to drive default setup, but I don't recommend you to go that way because some cars demand a more gently touch don't matter how you set it, and the "easy way" usually is not very "educative" about the best way to handle the car and can make you considerably slower than other drivers and also force you to accommodate there.

I really understand folks that just want to chose a car/track combo and get in without burocracy... but AMS2 is a simulator... not even a simcade... a full simulator as simulator as a simulator can be with current technology. With that, came a mindset. I think you REALLY could considerate to learn how to set a car in AMS2... it's party of the game and neglect it is the same that play Dark Souls without bother to level up nor change your gear. You are missing a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Justdave

Justdave Member

You guys are missing the point. It's cool. A stable set up. One that everyone can enjoy. IF you CHOOSE to be faster, then do it. But, a car that slides and is not worth driving EVEN AGAINST THE AI..is worthless for most people. I don't know how to explain it any better. If I wanted to play a RPG, a setup game, build my character (DARK SOULS) I would. This is a car racing game. There are no level up's. This ain't Gran Turismo (and it never should be) It should be a basic setup that is worth driving and if you want to spend the time, energy and commit to "figuring it all out" you can. BUT THE BASIC DEFAULT SETUP should be a car that is capable in all conditions. Maybe not the fastest. maybe not the best..but drivable. MOST CARS ARE FINE and I love this game. The issues I have, have been documented but people saying "I set up the car, and it's fine" are hogwash. Bull**** mostly.

16. F1Aussie

Well I have not noticed them to be broken at default, have not noticed them doing anything unusual, can't speak for others though

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Justdave

Justdave Member

Who has the time for that?

Maybe you can write up a 'Tutorial' for basic setups?

18. F1Aussie

What does it matter if you do online or offline racing? The setups would need tweaking for both to suit your style.

19. F1Aussie

Didn't turn me off and I am far from bei g a setup genius but I don't think AMS2 is just for the casual player to just pick up and play you need to be interested in the deeper aspects of Sim racing.

20. F1Aussie

There are tips in the setup screen if what changes will do for each parameter. Setting a car up is always about compromise, there is no miracle setup that is good under all conditions and type of track.