1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

FFB is highly subjective, there is no universal right or wrong. Use what you find to feel best for you.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

So true although, each ffb mode offers more adjustment than some may realize.

When players comment on one ffb-mode offering better steering response (over-steer corrections especially), the LFB & Damper settings can alter the behavior significantly, no matter which ffb-mode is used. Coming from other sim's, it's easy to overlook the impact those settings can have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree but don’t be afraid to make adjustments and try different settings and custom files.

4. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

That is my case with a few cars, as the FV8G1 and FV12 (the three cars having too much understeer)... don't know now if this is the current game state or a case for reinstallation. I will wait for Reiza to say anything about it before endure an 81GB download.

Tnx!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. speedonerd

speedonerd New Member

Since Racin' USA Pt. 3 isn't out yet officially I think Reiza should take some time to make a few key improvements that I think would not only make the expansion 100% worth it but could also benefit the sim as a whole.

1. The AI need to suffer from dirty air. The fact that AI cars can run nose-to-tail around Fontana in a massive 5-wide pack is silly, and it makes passing a proper nightmare since the track is constantly congested and there's no place to make a classic CART-style slingshot pass. It also occasionally gives the AI an unfair advantage over the player since they can draft you through a turn and launch an impossible pass due to suffering no aero wash that would usually keep them back going into a turn. This same situation can also lead to the AI turning stupid fast lap times if they tuck in behind another AI and fly through the turns while you have to check up to avoid hitting the wall if you slot in behind someone. I think it's the root cause of some weird AI passing logic universally in the sim because being able to follow so closely through fast sections like, say, Maggots/Becketts in a downforce-dependent car means the AI will often try and launch an overtake through these sections which, as you'd probably expect, goes poorly. I think a simple way for AI to suffer from the effects of dirty air will improve offline racing not just at ovals but universally across the board as the AI will have to deal with the same conditions as the player and may end up attempting less pea-brained overtakes.

2. There should be an option to run private qualifying sessions and set their duration in laps. This was possible in the original rFactor where you could allot a set amount of laps in which qualifying could be completed and also run the session privately with no other cars on track. If Reiza's truely going to implement oval racing into the sim beyond Racin' USA Pt 3, this needs to be included because not only is running a timed live qualifying session on ovals a cardinal sin, but like the FCY integration it can extend to road racing as well if you want to for instance simulate a NASCAR road course race where they still use the 2-lap private qualifying format. Also not a necessity but it would be nice to have the option to qualify by speed as opposed to time, similar to how CART and IRL qualified cars at ovals in the 90's.

3. I think the start points for starts/restarts on ovals should be much further back. I don't know if the Madness Engine has a functionality like this, but if you know anything about oval racing the green flag is usually thrown well before the start/finish line to give the pack a chance to spread out a little bit before they reach the line proper and avoid an incident. Right now you have to wait until almost exactly the line before the race starts which I think keeps the field a little too bunched at the start and also removes a seldom-talked about rule in oval racing concerning overtakes before the line after a start/restart, where you're allowed to pass on the outside of your line, but not the inside. I think moving back the point at which the flagman decides to show green would make starts a bit more dynamic and realistic.

I've never bothered to post to this forum before but oval racing and IndyCar are things I'm particularly passionate about and I want Reiza to do this unique style of racing justice, especially if those talks with IndyCar go somewhere and we end up with a fully licensed IR-18 when the expansion releases proper.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Terrific suggestions. It’s pretty clear that AMS2 is going to become the oval simulator.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HijabiKathy

HijabiKathy Active Member

Actually, NASCAR does group qualifying on road courses

• Like Like x 1
  8. speedonerd

speedonerd New Member

I wish. I'm all for Reiza expanding the ovals in AMS2 but it'd probably take a separate title focused solely on the discipline to catch people's attention. The oval simracing community has found a comfortable home at iRacing with the more dedicated among them continuing to mod and play NASCAR Racing 2003 Season and the only area where I can see Reiza taking some market share is in retro IndyCar content.

Ah my mistake. Haven't kept up with the series as frequently as I used to. It'd still be nice to do private quali on road courses if given the option.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If reiza can get that indycar license ams2 can become big for oval, but everything @speedonerd wrote must happen first.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

The AI's been pretty decent but my only real grievance is how they have a constant habit of abruptly slowing down in the middle to end of corners instead of keeping a steady momentum (even if there's nothing in front that would warrant a sudden slowing), I've lost many a race to suddenly being brake checked and battering the front of my car
    Seems especially bad on ovals like Gateway, but it's probably something being worked on

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Steam player numbers are holding up really well two weeks after the update! Peaked at nearly 1000 in the last 24 hours and the average player count is close to treble what it was pre 1.4.
    I’m definitely in those stats as I’ve been playing all weekend and had a decent bug free league race this evening. It was my first online race since earlier this year and what a huge improvement it was compared to the last time I used my time to play it, it’s so much better!
    Practise, quali, 20 lap race with mandatory change all tyres pit stop and not one single freeze, kick, failure to move to next session and no lazy no tyre change pit crew incident. Was pretty smooth most of the time too and no netcode issues. All this along with the altitude bug being squashed made for a much improved experience with a mixed grid of GT3’s at Interlagos instead of everyone in a Macca.
    I’m basically hooked now haha

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I was practising against AI at Interlagos today and they are hopeless.
    Coming out of Descida do Lago they all brake every single lap and it’s a blooming acceleration zone. Bico de Pato they leave the door wide open every lap and Juncao they all but invite you to take the inside and then they get out your way when accelerating out of it and they trip over themselves letting you through and impede their own exit.
    It’s impossible to use the AI as practise for online racing, because they don’t defend, they stick to their set AI lines and even on max aggression they are super courteous and get out of your way to avoid any contact.
    All I learn from AI is the different braking points when slipstreaming them compared to hot lap braking points.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

My other racing sims sit with a patina of oxidized paint and rust, like abandoned cars in the weeds and long grass of nearby woods and fields, melancholy reminders of a once vibrant past. Their windshields are cracked, chrome moldings falling off and antennas broken. A couple of them have bullet holes from people using them for target practice. I think a family of raccoons is living in another.

Automobilista 2 sits washed and waxed in the driveway, ready to go! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Wrong - 42 GB and i wish you happy waiting on Godot,don't get too bored.:D:D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

I did another head to head comparison. The GT3 Porsche from AMS2 vs. the GT3 Porsche from ACC at Spa.

The ACC car is very nice, and fun to drive. But it feels like the, "Stepford Wives" version of a GT3 Porsche. Too perfect. It feels sterile. It's what a GT3 Porsche would be like if we lived in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world.

The AMS2 GT3 Porsche feels alive and real. It possesses very high, "Yeeeeehaw!" factor, which is important in a racing sim. It's not a, "Stepford Wives" version. It's like your real wife or girlfriend, who gives you a hard time if she thinks that you need it.

I greatly prefer the GT3 Porsche in AMS2. If you haven't driven it yet, what are you waiting for? You're missing out! Go on now, get your helmet and get out on the track with it!

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  16. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Just saw this and though you guys might enjoy.

This channel upscales old race footage:

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
  17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I must say, after seeing this (great video btw, thanks for the link), rf2's version of this track looks very authentic. With the Eve F1 its a blast too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Actual Radio Transmissions from AMS2:

"What? I touched a curb with one tire and he nuked me? Who's the race director here at Hockenheim, Adrian Monk? That's it! When I get out of this car, I'm going to track him down and put a boot in his keister!"

"All right, settle down! It's not the end of the world. I don't like it anymore than you do. But the last thing we need is you menacing the race director. That won't help our cause. You just stay out there and keep practicing until you cool down. It'll do you good, anyway."

:mad:

19. HijabiKathy

HijabiKathy Active Member

Honestly, seeing this makes me more excited for whenever we get classic Spa in AMS2

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

Are we getting classic Spa? Woo hoo! I hope so! I wish I had a list of what's. coming. I really don't know.

I've purchased all the DLC so far, and I set money aside already for future releases, but I have no idea what's officially inbound.