1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've the same issue, AMS2 simply won't launch in SteamVR mode even when launching from the option for SteamVR. I did try using OVR advanced settings program that has an option to force launch on SteamVR, but that then just throws an error when trying to use OpenXR.

Its such a hassle trying to use openXR/toolkit with an Oculus headset in AMS2

• Like Like x 1
  2. Emir_de_Passy

Emir_de_Passy Member

Not sure if its going to work for you but you may try the following which works for my Varjo aero.
    download and replace the openvr.api file in the x64 folder from the "per game install" section of opencomposite page.
    in open composite, keep steamvr as the launcher.
    worked for me on AMS2 and AC

3. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

The issue seems to be with Oculus at the moment that the game never even looks for the openvr_api.dll file even if you select to open in SteamVR via Steam desktop app, so replacing that file has no effect. That never used to be the case as I have opened the game in SteamVR in the past

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

if you have oculus why don’t you just launch in oculus ?
    That’s what I do zero problems

10900k 3080 quest2

5. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

I can and do and have no major problems generally, just cpu-bound. I wanted to compare between the two options on my system, but seems that's not possible right now.

In iRacing which has native OpenXR support I get a better experience with OpenXR than Oculus mode, thought the same may be true for AMS2.

6. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I did see one discord user suggest that Oculus Tray Tool has an option to force SteamVR. Maybe worth a quick look/try

• Like Like x 1
  7. smpearce22

smpearce22 New Member

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Apologies if I've missed anything in this thread, and I'm repeating any tips that have already been thrown out there, but as someone who had plenty of issues with Oculus VR, I've got a solution (at least one that I would say I'm happy with from a performance/quality standpoint)

Have you/anyone used 'Oculus Killer' - from Github?

Releases · OpenOculus/OculusKiller

(follow install instructions)

as above, apologies in advance if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but it's a small piece of software that you install into the oculus folder on your PC, which launches straight into Steam VR when you connect via Oculus link, instead of the native oculus home interface.

This then makes it REALLY easy to boot into OpenVR rather than the Oculus runtime.

From here, and from within Steam VR you obviously have all of the ease of use/flexibility and options afforded to you by the SteamVR interface.

I'm running:

AMD5600X CPU,
    RTX3070ti GPU,
    and 16GB Ram

and I'm now able to get a very steady 90fps with relatively high graphics settings in game (with the biggest compromises being MSAA and Shadows set to Medium) using the following settings using the link cable (I don't use air link however)

Oculus debug tool:

All standard/default except ensuring A-synch spacewarp is disabled and setting the encode bitrate to 500Mbps (that's probably too high, so I'm sure 300Mbps would give the same result)

SteamVR:

Res per eye (global) = 80%

Res per eye (application - Ams2) =80%

FOV = 85%

(Depending on your own PC specs, I'm sure you could push those further if you have the headroom that comes with a better GPU and/or CPU than what I'm working with?)

A month ago or so, I had VRperkit working nicely via Oculus Killer and Steam VR, and it worked a treat!....but I got a bit greedy chasing more FPS, started messing with settings and somehow totally managed to break/change/delete something core to the Oculus communicating with the PC and so I lost visuals entirely.

Nothing I tried got it working again, so I had to bite the bullet and do a clean install of Windows.

It's all working again, but for some reason I now can't get VRperkit working anymore?...

I'd be more tenacious in finding the solution or digging a bit deeper as to what I'm doing wrong, but:

1) I'm scared of messing my system up again as I have no idea what I did to cause such an incurable issue

2) My Visuals and FPS seem to be better and more stable than they were before, so I don't really feel that I NEED it?

What I am saying though is that there is clearly is a way using the Oculus Killer + SteamVR method to get 'VRPerkit' working, as I definitely had it working for me before?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Okay, thanks, I was not aware of that tool. I'll have to have a think about whether I want to try going down that route though. Sounds like a task for the holidays.

9. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Hmmm, never bothered with OTT before, just use Debug Tool. Another option to consider when I find the time (and inclination). Thanks!

10. smpearce22

smpearce22 New Member

It’s a game changer for me and the easiest/quickest solution I found.

Don’t let the github jargon put you off. It’s just one file dragged into your oculus folder and changing the existing file’s file name.

It’s a 5min job at max, and completely reversible.

It also holds the benefit of being a ‘one stop shop’ for all PC VR games, so you get the same benefit on other games in your library (as long as they aren’t Oculus store/library based?)

When I was still experimenting and flicking between Oculus runtime snd Steam VR to try and compare, it didn’t take long to see that not only was the visual clarity better through Steam, but I was also getting less stuttering and dropped frames.

Seeing how Steam VR is just nicer/easier cleaner to use, I really have considered switching my Quest 2 for an OpenVR headset like the Reverb G2, but this work around is working nice enough to keep that notion at bay for now, but I wouldn’t willingly go back to running the native Oculus runtime after this, so I really hope Meta don’t block this solution in any of their future firmware updates, otherwise I’ll be forced to sell up.

No matter how you personally end up feeling about it, I really would recommend at least giving it a trial run when you find time?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

This Oculus Killer thing sounds interesting.

Just one question, that's important for me: If i do that, will Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp still work? There are a few games i cannot play without it because they're very cpu limited (Euro Truck Simulator 2 for example) and the SteamVR replacement is imho a lot worse than ASW.

12. smpearce22

smpearce22 New Member

I can't tell you with 100 percent certainty as I very deliberately turn mine off. but I *think* so (?)

The reason I think that is because dynamic bitrate from the debug tool DEFINITELY works, as when I first reinstalled everything, I couldn't understand why everything looked so 'muddy'.

It took me a while to remember that I hadn't increased the bitrate in the debug tool, so I went in and cranked it up and the overall quality improved exactly as expected and as it used to be.

So that certainly indicates that the Oculus killer tool doesn't disable the debug tool?

In fact, now that you say that, I may try activating A-Synch spacewarp later myself, as although I'm getting a steady 90fps for most uses, it did take an absolute hammering at the new Daytona track (totally dropped to 45fps at that circuit) so I might see if A-synch Spacewarp gets me around that particular issue?

13. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

smpearce22, firstly thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread!

I have had the issue of not being able to launch into the SteamVR branch on AMS2 for as long as i can remember. The reason for wanting to do this is so i can use OpenXR toolkit to add either NIS or FSR upscaling to help with performance.

I can confirm the Oculuskiller program you linked indeed works perfectly on my RiftS and i can now launch through OpenXR and access the OpenXR toolkit HUD. What a result!!

Thank You!

• Like Like x 2
  14. smpearce22

smpearce22 New Member

Aww bud! I'm just glad not to be bowling in here and throwing in ideas and solutions that were tried and tested months ago and were long since thrown on the scrap pile!?

So, you are VERY welcome, I'm just really glad it's helped.

Enjoy, bud! :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

Usually i turn ASW off as well, just for ETS2/ATS i need to turn it on, otherwise the game will accelerate/decelerate randomly when ever the framerate goes below 80 (Rift S).

Anyway, i tried that Oculus Killer thing, but all i get is a black screen (did the stuff in the installation and trouble shooting instructions, but it didn't help). I'll test a bit more tomorrow since i'm not really happy with my Oculus performance in AMS 2 (microstutter on certain tracks, even on lowest settings).

16. hb22

hb22 Member

On online races in AMS2 I often (approx once per race) have a freeze of about 0.5 seconds where everything is frozen in my headset but sound continues, it is not much but it can be quite disastrous depending on when it happens. I don't get this on my other VR games. Does anyone else have this? Quest 2 via virtual desktop

17. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

18. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Haven't had that for a long time, but used to get that on Rift S. Don't 100% know what resolved it, but ran sfc /scannow and reduced cpu clocks and gpu overclock and seem to be all good now

19. old hockenheim

old hockenheim New Member

OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Seems like there's an update to OpenXR Toolkit coming (hopefully) this weekend.

Changelog in 1.2.0
    • Fix crash with DX12 and MSFS/SU10.
    • Fix Eye-tracked Foveated Rendering with MSFS/SU10.
    • Fix support for iRacing, War Thunder and F1 2022.
    • Fix support for X-Plane 11 and X-Plane 12 (only in conjunction with OpenXR-Vk-D3D12 9 on Windows Mixed Reality only, and no support for foveated rendering).
    • Fix support for Unreal Engine OpenXR plugin and Unity OpenXR plugin.
    • Fix WMR motion reprojection on/off setting not sticking across leaving/re-entering VR.
    • Fix WMR motion reprojection issues when used with Shaking Reduction.
    • Fix “invisible menu” issue with DX12 and Varjo.
    • Fix incompatibility between eye tracking and controller/hand tracking on Varjo.
    • Fix detection of hand tracking with PimaxXR.
    • Fix issue when RGB color correction is not applied when post-processing is off.
    • Fix upside-down image issue with certain OpenComposite games.
    • Add support for both eye-tracked foveated rendering and fixed foveated rendering in Assetto Corsa Competizione.
    • Add new “tutorial menu” for first time-use, will help debugging issues with users not able to bring up the menu.
    • Add option to alter filtering policy with foveated rendering (possibly eliminate unwanted glitches with certain games).
    • Support writing FPS/frame times to a CSV file (saved under %LocalAppData%\OpenXR-Toolkit\stats).
    • Add frame rate throttling for all headsets.
    • Added VRAM statistics in the overlay.
    • Add “legacy menu” mode that reverts the menu to pre-1.1.2, for people not able to bring the menu or having performance issues with the menu.
    • Add visual warning in the menu when HAGS is turned on.
    • Add option to disable hidden area mesh (only supported on certain applications).
    • Add left/right blind eye option (only supported on certain applications).
    • Add clock to the overlay.
    • Include overlay/menu in screenshots.
    • Removed Pimax WFOV hack.
    • Make safe mode even safer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Yeah, it's released, and working with iRacing. More incentive for me to try and get OpenXR working for AMS2