Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Rain + Headlights + Night driving is extraordinary performance heavy for several reasons. It uses the whole palette of features of your hardware.

In VR, when you need to render 2 images at decent quality it will take its toll.

It's an optimization compromise and not a "bug" and that's an ongoing process that doesn't get fixed by a magical silver bullet.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Anthony 123

Anthony 123 Active Member

So as technology advances and reiza perfects optimization, the performance will improve? It will just take time? Thats actually reassuring, i am grateful to see a response on the matter

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I would believe so, but the main thing I think of are the need of a sharpening scale like the famous GT3 simulator and render distance for good resolution of shadows

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Like mentioned, there are no silver bullets. We can't make big promises how far things could improve because it's just not that easy. Madness Engine isn't performing bad at all and tracks already received some optimization, so time will tell how far it can improve. It's not the most satisfying reply but for now the most realistic one.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Racinglegend1234

I understand, but I fully agree with the Madness Engine not performing badly. AMS2 is my favourite and go to sim. Everything have their positives and negatives and it is always good to talk about the negatives to the developers so they make something really good even BETTER.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

My GTX950 will be happy with just AMS2 don't getting more demanding.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Marg

Marg Active Member

My GTX1060 (6GB) feels comfortable now :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Racinglegend1234

We will see what happens… Just a question, is there snow and snow storms in AMS2 like in PC2?

9. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nah anything snowy got removed, which is a shame but the devs cba to make winter and snow tyres for all cars like pc2 had

10. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Only grass/landscape none ontrack.

11. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

My GTX950 feel that your 1060 is snob and wish her a slow and painful death:D

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's gotta be coming with the Adrenaline Pack DLC...AMS1 had it. Maybe a Christmas present from Reiza?

13. Sims Alabim

Sims Alabim Member AMS2 Club Member

Regarding performance in VR, what's your benchmark...? Or, do you have one? Just curious :) I've tried all the "other" ones, and lately F1 22. In comparison, they're big bags of poop ready to be stepped on, full throttle. In VR, that's a lot of poop. FYI i have a 6900 xt, and the biggest gain in performance came from the newest AMD-drivers. Go figure!

14. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm guessing the benchmark is to AMS2 in the daylight in dry conditions. AMS2 is clearly the best sim in VR currently but struggles in non "optimal" conditions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

A few users already experienced, that in VR, in conditions, where the ai uses headlights and are behind you, there will be a massive fps drop. If all ai cars are in front of you everthing is fine (in the same conditions). So i would call this a bug :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeanvendors

jeanvendors Active Member

If we can bring up beef from 10 pages ago I can resurrect the Belgian Beer topic to say im always cool with a Stella Artois, even if that reveals me as a simple American beer dilletante :p the price helps.

17. old hockenheim

old hockenheim New Member

Option to disable headlights on all cars would help a lot. Rain doesn't seem to be that big of a performance hog on it's own, easy to test by doing a race with cars that have no headlights. It would also make all the tracks with their own lighting (like Monaco) playable at night.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure I agree that it has to be a bug. If the cars are behind you, then a large part of your screen is illuminated by the headlights of many cars, whilst if they are ahead of you, then a much smaller part of the screen is illuminated by their headlights. No?

If lighting of objects nearby needs to be calculated, then it is much more precise than calculation of lighting of objects far away. Not only because less pixels are then involved, but also because the calculation can probably be less precise like how car models usually in games have lower LOD when they are far away.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interestingly, seeing the Japanes GP really brought into focus the aspect of racing in the rain. I saw a combination of the water plume behind the car, the sparks and well as the effect of the rear wing lights in the water spray. It was quite magical, almost like the cars were water and fire breathing monsters.

F1 22 really has a good representation of the water spray and the fact that you have very little visibility, but in AMS2 visibility behind F1 cars is not a problem at all. Interesting that F1 22 has this so right and AMS2 does not.

Strolls start really gives a good picture of the visibility conditions, but doesn not show the sparks in the water. Watch at 5:36

20. Racinglegend1234

They need to fix this. I remember driving the DPI in the wet around Monza and was completely blind