1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I can confirm there's no issues with the wet tyres of the Mini JCW...

I just ran laps with the wet setting and storms at Oulton Park... Left the pits straight away and the front tyres didn't go above 90 after 10 laps...

2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tend to agree. AMS2 has a very wet visual in combination with a still pretty dry behavior. It has been always like that. The real wet physics kicks in when you really see visible big puddles (once you know the trick you can live with it), which IMHO contributes also to several reports of tires misbehavior in "wet" conditions.
    Not top priority but at some point it could be worth a re-alignment of the two things.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

This would be a nice addition. Hopefully some day it gets resolved.

4. momorious

momorious Member AMS2 Club Member

That's not even working in non-VR btw...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Storms and heavy rain isn’t a realistic scenario , plus what was the track temp .
    The Mini cooks its tyres in the usual medium to light rain conditions , and especially in Brazilian condition with track still relatively warm .
    They also wear extremely fast , which makes me wonder are they just too soft compound.
    2-3 laps around a low turning load track like Galaleo Airport and they are well over 100 degrees unless you drive like a Nana in which case the slicks can perform better and hardly wear at all.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Agreed . I do wonder if the default and default+ self centering speed is part of the problem?
    I use a relatively high end direct drive wheel and have had to stop using the default profiles because of the ridiculously high wheel speed when self centering. Even after trying to slow it down with various driver settings and using 100 dampening it's still way to over responsive. I realize this could just be a trait of my brand of wheel but wonder if other direct drive users feel the same . Have no such problems with various custom profiles.

7. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, it could help pay for the funeral! I could write two infact! The first one titled 'I Want My Hard Stops Back!', (which would be a vitriolic ranty tale of woe set in the harsh wastelands of fractured force-feed back) and then the sequel, 'My After life With Ayrton' (a story of an unlikely friendship blossoming in the most unusual situation of the job centre for the dead and focusing on the conversations between the pair about their (after) lives as ghosts and the problems with scaring people... Might even go full trilogy and call the last one 'The Problem With Boo'ing Borris' . Because that's what us ghosts say all the time... Boo! That's about it really, we have a very limited script to work with:(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tarmac Terrorist

Primarily realism
    And yes 99.9% of the time you don't need to turn all the way to the lockstop, a bit like 99.9% of the time I don't need a seat belt, bloody happy it's been there and worked as it should when I did though, else I'd have been doing this haunting job for a long time by now

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Tarmac Terrorist

Spoons! I may be dead but I'm not completely souless!

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Tarmac Terrorist

is that to do with the abrupt hard pull to the left I've been hearing about? I can understand that, but my wheel is the strongest belt drive you can get, even higher Nm torque than at least one of the DD's, and I don't have the hard pull problem. So is there a file somewhere I could edit with notepad and value I could change to turn the hardstops back on again maybe?

11. Tarmac Terrorist

Edgar's up here to, but he ain't got no brown sugar! It's funny when him and Ayrton are in the same room together, they don't really get on. Edgar will be sitting their babbling on a bout poetry and stuff with Ayrton looking like he wants to swallow his own head, then if he can get a word in edgeways Ayrton will start banging on about car setups and Edgar just sits there looking totally baffled and going "what's a differential"? They totally don't get each other, it's pure black comedy!

12. Tarmac Terrorist

Who said I'm banging the lockstops all the time? There is plenty about my driving that needs adjusting though, that is true! But it's ok, I've got Ayrton to talk to about that now, I'm sure he can sort me out, it's great to natter about driving after a heavy day of scaring

13. Tarmac Terrorist

Yes that's all I want is the 'option' to turn the hardlocks on, that would be great. I also hate that AC & ACC have no locks (soft or hard) what so ever, that's why I came up with the zero lock trick for those sims,

14. Tarmac Terrorist

Look mate you can't just ask a manic depressive ghost to calm down, it just doesn't work like that! What do you think would happen if we just wandered up looking pleasent and offering folks a nice cup of tea? We'd all get the sack for God's sake! No mate, we're all about the sneeking up and shouting boo all the time. Calm is exactly the opposite of what we're trying to achieve.

I am sure there are others who dissagree with me, just as I know, evidently so that there are many that agree with me, and I wholeheartedly support their decision to be wrong! Just as I stand by anyone who actually likes EastEnders, these poor souls need options to!

I can steer through it, there is nothing wrong it's just changed and the hardstops are gone, already been through this with Crimson so theres no point in posting my settings, I'm not wet behind the ears at this, there's nothing wrong with the settings. The hardstops are gone, it's going to stay that way for now according to him, I hate it, but he did say there may be further decsions on it which gives me hope, so I've asked him if there is a file I could edit to turn them back on. If not I'm gunna have to start setting locks manually, which is my workaround.

In the meantime I'm very busy with organising my funeral, dealing with Borris's scary haircut, writing a trilogy and getting tips on my driving from Ayrton, so I've just not got the time I'm afraid

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  15. Tarmac Terrorist

Yep, this is my issue, I don't like it one bit but it looks like it's not gunna change, only thing to do is manually set the wheel stops for different cars. Even with me becoming dead and having to slave away as a ghost they won't change it back. It's such a cruel world! Boo hoo hoo!

16. Tarmac Terrorist

Exactly what he said!

17. Tarmac Terrorist

There are rare occasions where you do, there's this little place called Monaco for instance

18. Tarmac Terrorist

Do you mean by 'rubber band', the spongey rubbery feeling at full lock? If so that's the new soft locks

19. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

While we're on the topic of weather and other (AMS2) frustrations, I'd like to chime in with some things that I was painfully reminded of yesterday.

I can spend precious little time on sim racing for various reasons, so experiencing one frustration after another can be a real buzzkill. It had been a looong time since I spent any amount of time with ACC (way before I upgraded to a 4K screen and an RTX 3060 Ti as well as increasing RAM), so I thought I'd have some fun on a Sunday afternoon... Turns out, AMS2 really spoiled me - or should I say it spoiled other racing sims for me? Started a new custom mixed GT3/GT4 championship in the new BMW M4 GT3... what a boat! :confused: After doing a single race weekend on Oulton Park I realized that I spent almost the entire time being frustrated - not once did I truly enjoy driving the car! Even the 'worst' vehicles in AMS2 are more fun than that - and provide better feedback no less! (To be fair, there's one thing ACC does better than most other sims including AMS2 - which is providing an AI that can do close but fair racing without unnecessary incidents.)

So I went back to AMS2. Ahhh, feels like home! :D

After that ACC disaster I wanted to have some fun in one of AMS2 specialties - vintage cars! I chose the Lotus 23 for a practice day on Snetterton 100. Settings were something like 4x random weather slots at 20x acceleration to get a feel how the track would feel and evolve in different scenarios.

So I went out of the pits, drove a couple of laps in sunshine and then light rain set it. "It's just a drizzle", said my trusty race engineer Crew Chief, and so I didn't feel the need to worry. Besides, there's no rain tire for these vintage cars, just an all-weather tire, so what would I do anyway?

Either way, this "drizzle" kept going on for a while longer than expected (probably got repeated for two weather slots), and even though I should know better I was still kind of surprised when the track was soon listed as SOAKED (it didn't quite look the part yet though it was obviously very wet, but it started to feel like it as well).

Yeah I know we've had this dance before, but it is effin' frustrating that weather acceleration also exaggerates the rate of precipitation (to ridiculous amounts). In "light rain", the track should never, ever be soaked unless it has been raining for several days straight! Which was clearly not the case here. This is something that really needs to be addressed (I know it was carried over from PCARS), because not everyone wants or is able to do 1h+ races in order to get the most out of the otherwise amazing AMS2 weather simulation.

Yes, it's a dead horse. No, I won't stop beating it until it is fixed. :p
    (Also: Would that make "fixing a dead horse" a legitimate figure of speech, I wonder...?)

Adding to my frustration is the AI calibration which is sadly still all over the place - and considering the huge amount of content we already have, is probably bound to stay that way for some time.

After finishing my practice runs I thought I'd be ready for a quick race using this car/track combination. Nothing too serious, right? So I chose 85 AI Strength - a level which I am usually fairly competitive at - and low aggression; class was still Vintage Touring Cars Tier 1, so lots and lots of Minis and a few Lotus 23 in between.

Turns out, I am NOT competitive at all using this car/track combo. Even in qualifying I could barely keep up with the slowest minis, and the Lotus 23s just zoomed away like they were on modern slicks or something. So... last place. No biggie, right? They're probably slower during the race, eh?

Except they weren't (aside from the start, of course, where I was able to gain several positions). Admittedly, I made a few mistakes during the race which cost a lot of time, but even when I was "in the zone" and my tires were at optimum temperatures I was only about as fast as the slower minis. Needless to say, it wasn't a great success.

What I did learn, however when I had a look at the replay (aside from me being slow, but that's nothing new really! :D) was that the Lotus 23 AI in particular could break unusually late, were always perfectly stable under braking, never seemed to lock up (which was surprisingly easy to do on this track, at least approaching one or two particular turns), carried ever so slightly more speed through corners than should be possible and had TONS of grip when accelerating out of them. All of this leading to them being faster than what should be possible, especially giving the skill setting. And I should probably also mention that this was in ideal conditions (clear skies, day time, default date - I think?) with pre-warmed tires (which is another thing that the AI seemingly never needs to worry about and it drives me crazy!).

Sooo... as I said, I can't spend much time on sim racing and prefer to avoid any unnecessary frustrations with the sims themselves; sadly, I'd say this was clearly a case of a damn frustrating Sunday afternoon...

This may seem like rambling or whining, but it's not; it's a small (but important!) part of the status quo, all the while knowing (and hoping) that all of the above issues will the addressed sooner or later. It's just the darn wait that's killing me - because almost everything else in AMS2 is already bloody superb (with the exception of MP of course, but I can't really comment on that myself)!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes at full steering lock. But also the center with the rubber band effect. But it has also done good things for dds, no more risk of injury when you ride city tracks (Monaco....). But that's not my world, the defaults, so I don't have any problems with it. But I understand your frustration