1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

A few things regarding the Copa Trucks I just had a lot of fun with around Goiania, and a lot of offroad time.

The Vulcan has both the Spool and an LSD set to on in the setup screen. The other trucks as far as I've seen only have the Spool, so I guess it's just a UI flaw.

The Vulcan has a very high seating position compared to eg the MAN, but also in general. At default seat hight, I'm looking at the sunblocking strip. Easily rectified of course, but maybe worth a consideration.

The FFB is very heavy in the Copa Trucks generally. Looking at onboards of real drivers, they ofter drive long stretches with one hand on the wheel steering into corners and the other on the gear stick - just like commercial truck drivers :) The wheels in the real trucks seem to be quite effortless to turn with one hand. I found that for me, 80% FFB strength in the car setup works very well. Mabye also a point to consider.

How realistic are the gear ratios and the top speeds? Or, to pose the question differntly, where should I stop to rev the engine? Going by what real trucks rev to, around 2500-3000 revs?

Watching the onboards at Goiania, there seems to be some coasting involved at the end of the long straight, after the speed trap toward the first fast right hander, but sadly there were no gauges visible to see the speeds. There are some on older videos I found with values on screen, but I'm uncertain how precise they are. Does anybody have any better experience with or knowledge of the Copa Trucks in this regard?

Will there be class specific rules added some day, like the speed traps and when the Pace car comes, will there maybe be a pace truck for the Copa Trucks? ^^

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

After thurough testing I can tell you the Porche 962C standard and low downforce models have exactly the same top speed which is just a smidge over 330kph, aint that weird, thats running with all ducts and rad closed, 0 wing settings for both & same gearing. They are the same car, they litterally just look different!

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Absolutely. Just for the record I really do like the default ffb apart from that one trait , if I could find a way of taming the aggressive return to centre on my wheel for that profile I would definitely be using it .

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Like already mentioned, they're not done yet! They all still have their bits missing and it will be done with release latest! :)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tarmac Terrorist

Yes I understand that, im just trying to figure out what works and what does'nt atm as Its all got a bit confusing with this RC build, more than usual. For instance I know the low DF version of the Merc CLK GT1 does work physically aswell as visually. Maybe I should have said The Porches are the same physically ATM but different visually

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

It's a public beta build and not full release. Don't see anyting (i really mean that) finished in RC builds. I can recommend leaving LD cars testing be for now. It's the same like with the tire revision back then for 1.4 - it all comes together for release eventually! :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tarmac Terrorist

Fair enough, but i've made another discovery recently that im curious about. It is not something new to the sim at all, its been there since the beginning. No matter if i fill the tank or If I leave it almost empty, the car hits the same top speed, in the same amount of time. So am I to take it that fuel adding weight to the car is not working? If so is this an RC build problem?

8. CrimsonEminence

Acceleration/deltaV is influenced by weight.

Top speed can still be the same with higher fuel load and is determinated by drag (EDIT: and obviously power).
    An exception is rolling resistance due to the higher mass but this is very little difference in comparison to what drag does. (Also tire pressure is rising over time, which fights that)

The moment in time you hit top speed becomes different with more mass because you need to do more work for it (obviously), but top speed will still be achieved. I can't confirm the observation of it being the same amount of time. In a DPi at Daytona i struggle more to top out on high fuel, than on low fuel for example.

• Informative Informative x 7
  9. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

You should create a Wiki for all this stuff :D

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tarmac Terrorist

This is great stuff, makes sense, one last question for something i wanna try out, does AMS2 simulate where the fuel load is situated in the car and add weight to that point (like making the front heavier in a Porsche GT3? Sorry for all the questions, I just love this stuff!

11. CrimsonEminence

I have a better recommendation - to get an idea of mass/drag influencing acceleration -> Play Kerbal Space Program (not even joking). It's simplified, no question, but you learn a lot about how a body with mass and drag moves through a space with and without atmosphere :D

• Like Like x 6
  12. CrimsonEminence

Yes of course. Fuel tank position affects weight distribution! Also the fuel moving around flushy (EDIT: sloshy :p ) in the tank is simulated, given that the content of the fuel tank isn't solid but a liquid.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  13. CrimsonEminence

@Tarmac Terrorist You might be able to see a slight change in rake for the Porsche here in this screenshot comparison when scrolling them back and forth. (pay attention to the fuel level in HUD and the rake/front ride height) - very stiff car, hard to see but it's there. :)

20221107232511_1.jpg 20221107232529_1.jpg

Rolled a bit forward in one shot but i guess you can see that engine is off and speed 0 :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Definition of flushy

: somewhat flushed : reddish.

For the multicultural nature of the net!
    sloshing/slosh /slosh
    (of liquid in a container) move irregularly with a splashing sound.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

This is super interesting! Somebody ask another question!!

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. CrimsonEminence

I tried to find the right word, not a native speaker :D

17. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

The word you want is ‘sloshing’, as in: to slosh!
    it’s also slang for being drunk (as in ‘sloshed’ :D).

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

I Know, sry could not help it!!:D
    If the 'jiggle; pin in the watercooled cars cooling system is jammed closed will this lead to engine failure (full damage on 100%)

19. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

Do other Sims, simulate this stuff? I can't help but feel these little nuances could be the reason AMS2 feels different to other sims. People don't know and assume it's wrong when it's possibly more right that the rest...

• Like Like x 1
  20. CrimsonEminence

Other sims do that aswell, can't say exactly which ones do and don't but AMS1 also did. :)