Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sure, but I thought the value of a preset was that it came with all the button mapping - i.e. you change to CSL DD and the buttons will automatically map to where they 'should' be?

2. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

whoah, is that the value of the preset? hmm, no, I don't think so.... it can't be. At least I hope not. 'cuz the wheel and the wheel base are separate. different wheels come with different buttons. the CSL DD must be about the ffb.

3. MickT

There are a few more features it unlocks, but if you look at the fanatec SDK, it allows game developers to:
    ...make use of the additional wheel vibration/rumble motors (not the FFB motors)
    ...make use of the tuning display (for gear display, speeder, ...)
    ...make use of the vibration motors on ClubSport Pedals
    ...make use of the rev LEDs on ClubSport Wheel rims
    ...detect different Fanatec products if they have the same USB product ID (CSR or CSR Elite, etc.)
    ...detect the rim type connected to the ClubSport Wheel Base
    ...etc.
    For the actual FFB forces, however:
    What is not a function of the Fanatec SDK?
    The SDK is not necessary to get output (pedal axis, steering wheel axis/rotation, button inputs) from our hardware. This is controlled by DirectInput only, as our devices are HID standard devices.
    The SDK is not necessary to send force feedback effects to the wheel. For that you will only need to install the driver and send standard direct input commands for FFB.

Fanatec

• Like Like x 1
  4. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

hey, thank you. would you say then it is worth it? Would I get more ffb fidelity by switching to that setting?

5. MickT

I don't know - you should try it out. Despite the above, it's entirely possible Reiza also tweak the FFB output based on the preset, but only Reiza can tell you that.

6. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I doubt there would be any difference in FFb , but it’s not that much of a hassle to assign a few buttons . so might as well try it.
    you have probably spent more time asking about doing it than it would take to do it :D.
    plus you might as well get practice because sometimes you might need to reset things after an update or something fanatecy happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

it’s a case of Kinetic energy, that force has to go somewhere. , irl it would be absorbed by power steering system mostly , but that’s not possible here.
    i think it’s quite a good example of how detailed the Momentum rack is . and there’s a clue in the name … momentum.

you shouldn’t really be fighting the wheel wanting to release that energy and should either let go or just loosen you grip and let the wheel slide on your palms .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

As Kuku said, release the wheel before you drive into a wall, as is the reality. I drive 10-12Nm peaks, which is completely sufficient, everything above that goes into go-kart forces. Monaco is good for testing F1 cars because of the tight slow corners and I have absolutely no problems with power. I think you switched from a belt base to a simagic? Of course, these are completely different forces and you have to get used to them first

9. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's nothing to do with driving into a wall. As soon as the car begins to slide and you apply opposite lock, the steering becomes very heavy. Not realistic. I have tried a few of these files and they all do it to some degree. And I am still on CSW 2.5 at the moment. Was just asking as it would be nice to find a setting that can reduce this effect. Apart from that, they are all sooooo much better than Default and Default+. Thanks to all those involved in making these files for us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pascal Villemin

Pascal Villemin New Member

Any chance for Simucube 1 OSW Settings and a custom ffb file? (Driver and ingame)
    Just need a baseline to tweak from...so much settings on wheel side alone...

11. GoobMB

GoobMB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had exactly the same issue (CSL DD). Maurice Boschen's tune of DanielKart custom file doesn't have that - probably the profile which suits me the most of all I tried.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danielkart

This has nothing to do with the file. Maurice from the Fanatec forum makes a separate setting for the base for each car. Then you can load the profile instead of changing the values for each car at the base. I think you will notice that . I only change the power on the base 50-70% depending on the car and that's it. I don't know Maurice but I think so
    his settings for the base can certainly also be good for the people

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So where did you get his tune from? Can you post on here? Thanks.

14. Handpflegecreme

Handpflegecreme Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, but as I know he fine-tuned the base settings for your file V44, wich runs great for me on my DD1 ;-)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

Hey Daniel! (and everyone else) I am new to custom ffb in AMS2, and I wanted to try yours.
    I have a *******very****** modest Driving Force GT and haven't felt any differenc with the default +
    Only thing I did was to copy the file to the AMS2 documents folder and select it in game.
    Am I missing something?
    Which settings do you recommend if not?

Is it worth for a DFGT? :')

Cheers!

16. Danielkart

Hey Pipimax
    1) Download the file.
    2) Rename it "ffb_custom_settings.txt" if named otherwise.
    3) Copy&replace file in to the "Documents\Automobilista 2" folder.
    4) Restart the game completely.
    5) In game, go to "options -> controls -> force feedback" and set "Type" to "Custom".

You can always get the custom ffb file that corresponds to "Default" type back by simply deleting the file from the folder again. AMS2 will create it on next restart.

Of course your forces are 2-3Nm less and it's a big difference. But there should still be a noticeable difference between the standard and custom files. Try different custom and also standard and take what you like best and you have the best feeling

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  17. MickT

You can also confirm you're definitely using it through the telemetry hud. The Custom FFB name defined in the file should appear on the bottom left where you can see the FFB histograms.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roy Jones

Roy Jones New Member

Anybody have a file or setting for more pronounced understeer or corner entry feel? Tried several custom files but cannot 'feel' front end turn in or limit of front grip. This weekly TT on Bathurst with super V8 is what has triggered me. Too vague or floaty . Guessing when to turn in etc. Thats really all I'm missing from this sim for me. Thanks

19. Roy Jones

Roy Jones New Member

Oh , I'm on csl dd 8nm wheelbase. Thanks

20. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Hi . Yes I have one that might suit you, will post it later when I can copy it from my documents folder .