1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 October 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 28, 2022.

1. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would be a little bit sad, tbh.

AMS2 has livetrack, full weather/time cycle, real weather data, all sorts of endurance cars, advanced damage model so you actually need to look after your car, yet racing a 24h endurance online event is not a reality in the game.

2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza already hinted at 24H races so I would say they have it in their minds. Whether it will become a reality or not I bet it will depend on what they find when they start digging into the MP code etc.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah... your right....
    but
    None of that effects single player, which is what AMS does best. I would be much more interested in mid race saves during the pit stops then multi-player driver changes. (Which, BTW, have only been done reliably by Iracing. Rfactor 2 is still glitchy as all hell, and I don't think Raceroom nore Project Cars had it.) So no, it's not a obvious feature as you say.

Online stability, I completely agree about. But Reiza has said over and over again its a big job that will take a lot of time to properly implement. They basically have to rewrite the code for MP, which is no small task. I'm sure it will get done, hopefully sooner rather than later, but likely, it will he 2023-2024 before AMS 2 could work as a proper online game.

TLDR, your buying the cart before the horse is even born. In the meantime, enjoy single-player, because the AI is actually surprisingly good now.

(All the more reason to try and buy the madness engine from EA now that SMS is officially dead)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Show me a sim that you think can facilitate 24 hour endurance races and I'll show you a forum filled with rage-monsters complaining about it not working during a league.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

don

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wtf is this? I havent yet watched the qualifying. Why would you spoil it for me here????????

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

Sorry was excited and didn't think of you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe delete it then so you don't ruin it for others?

Reminds me of the time when Wikipedia used to have a news section on front page and they had to post who won Le Mans. Like who expects motorsport news in Wikipedia front page.

9. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

1. Do we know if they don't have access and/or permission to modify the source? I suspect they do.
    2. Even if they do, or could, it takes significant time/budget and C++ expertise to modify the core engine. Time Reiza likely think better spent on car tuning and content (given their limited resources).
    3. No way EA would sell the engine, they'll pick techniques out and maybe apply to their other engines. Archive the madness engine source and forget about it.

Harsh realities.

10. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Don't Reiza have the entire engine at their fingertips anyway? In terms of source code and stuff at least

• Like Like x 1
  11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I think so, but they are not allowed to do certain things such as adding official mod support I believe

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You're not wrong, but thinking long term, this could be a massive boon too thembin the development of other games. Regardless, I guess if they have the source code, they could just reverse engineer the madness engine as it stands now. But I feel like that would take much more resources then just handing EA a bucket of money for the resources they just ****canned arbitrarily for no reason.

13. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

If you know what you are doing and have everything set up in rfactor or rF2 driver swaps are easy and reliable... Get one thing wrong in the process on either end it will fail... I have little experience with what MSGS have done, but the original ISI code wasn't broken and worked if you followed the right procedure...

I've completed more than a few 24 hour races with 90+ drivers with very few issues with driver swaps... As long as you know what you are doing than it's a 95+% hit rate for swapping drivers...

That little chance the server doesn't accept the swap for whatever bugged reason I learned to live with because not only was it rare but it counted as a mechanical DNF to me...

The fact that MSGS has screwed another part of rF2 doesn't surprise me at all my last driver swap race was over 6 years ago but it was very smooth at that time, and shows how old the idea and implementation is... PS3s were the still top of the line for consoles... That does give Reiza a chance to steal the thunder and host the grandest esport races of all...

Being able to save mid race session may well give AMS2 a little bit of hype, however give AMS2 a good MP code with driver swaps and it'll get all the attention it deserves via a tonne more hype...

And that hype will help give Reiza the ability to refine the SP side further via the fresh influx of interest...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  14. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

RF2 Virtual Le Man's!!!! Did you miss that? It made history!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Racinglegend1234

But didn’t it run into issues?

16. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

If I remember correctly, at leat two redflags due to server/network issues

17. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

If I remember correctly it didn't go well but this was after MSGS got their hands on it and started screwing things up...

Years after I had very little troubles running on the basic rF1 driver swap code that ISI had implemented initially in rF2... rF1 also ran well with very little issue for 24 hours... As long as everyone followed the procedure it was fine...

The only time I remember a red flag for server related issues was when too many people were spectating and not getting ready for a driver swap, just watching the race from the server without being in a car... Too many connections at once did cause issues with the rF1 driver swap code in rF2... But as long as everyone wasn't in the pits at the same time, which rarely happens in multiclass racing, then it never came close to being a problem, only when there was too many spectating...

18. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]
    Mazda woulda been a cool adition as well as a Group C/GTP gen 2 (1990's group C cars)

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i dont mind getting more cars in the Group C class, or any class for that matter, but i do hope that their performance will be balanced, especially for multiplayer races, it makes no sense being able to setup a Group C race, and only have people driving one particular car because thats much faster then the other ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Racinglegend1234

I really want a Rotor car in AMS2. PLEASE REIZA, I WANT MY ROTOR ENGINE!

• Agree Agree x 1