1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is a issue when running custom liveries and custom names/AI with some of the classes and not others or if you have a “mismatch” of a custom liveries to custom names.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baron Bob

Baron Bob Member

I also have a 4090 and I got it to work with minor compromise. Check my post on the 4090 thread, if you like.

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You're likely using a skin/custom AI pack that might be the culprit. It can lead to that kind of stuff. Not entirely sure it happens with other skinpacks/custom AI packs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

You also need to add the resolution of the headset to that equation.

Valve index 1600x1440 per eye. Reverb G2 2160 x 2160 per eye. That's a huge amount of extra work if 90fps per eye is the target.

I remember shoving an 8800 GTX in to upgrade my computer for the first time (Crysis of course) and then having to learn the most valuable lesson: Your pc is only as good as its worst component. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Apparently, the Toyota GR Cup web devs think they're still running the OG GP layout. I'm pretty sure this is a mistake given they'll be running during the Indy 8-Hour weekend.
    GRcup Indy.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. SonicSabre

SonicSabre Member

A better solution is to give an option to set how many headlights are visible in the rear view mirror and have the game only render the set number of headlights closest to your car. Limiting the number of headlights visible in the mirrors should fix the performance drop since lowering the number of opponent’s does work, and you won’t really notice if the headlights of a car 5 cars behind you is not displaying in the mirror.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SonicSabre

SonicSabre Member

It’s not just VR, the performance drop is also present on a single monitor but you just don’t notice it because it requires a high resolution to really see the drop. If you run at 4k or higher then you will see a big drop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If your rig can handle VR racing with full AI grid at ultra settings at sunny conditions with high framerate and it can also handle night/rain race when driving at last position BUT as soon as you have cars behind you with headlights on, the framerate suddenly HALVES then it’s clear that there is a huge performance problem somewhere. I understand that it might be difficult for Reiza to find and fix this performance problem but it still stays a problem.
    It’s not a headset resolution problem IMHO…
    It would need optimisation but I fear it’s not the highest priority for Reiza at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 11
  9. SonicSabre

SonicSabre Member

The problem is bad optimisation of headlights. The higher the resolution and the higher the number of headlights visible, the worse the fps. This is part of the graphics engine because Project Cars 2 has the exact same issue, so not sure how much Reiza can do to fix it, which is why a workaround is required.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Why do that when you can disable the entire thing. It makes sense to have lights at night, but not needed for rain. I am running this thing at an estimate resolution of 4000x 3200 in Pimax 8KX and the visual is absolutely stunning. Now, you may say why go so high? That's because in VR, you can never get enough resolution to make it easy for the eyes. You may lower the resolution and jack up other settings and yes even getting higher frame rate in rain, but the resolution is not sharp and appealing on objects in the distance and may causes strain to your eyes. I know because I seen it and have tested hundred of times under different scenarios and resolutions playing with the headset. The problem with the lights from the AI cars is that no matter if you lower the game settings or even lower the FOV, it still causes huge frame rate drop in rain.

I am going to try to overclock the graphics card today lol.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. The_Neo_One

The_Neo_One AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Small update to the Release Candidate?

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Bizarre Formula

I wasn't suggesting that FPS drops in the rain are exclusively as a result of resolutions, but if we are just going to use the blanket term 'VR' when talking about performance it is certainly worth remembering that VR in an HTC Vive original and a G2 are somewhat different propositions.

Even the idea that two computers with identical components will work the same is not valid, forgetting potential faults in the hardware, even the way the individual uses their computer can affect it.

I've seen USB devices be the cause of a seemingly unrelated problem that caused stutters and drops. I've seen the same thing from old wifi cards. Hard drive speeds and how you organise your partitions can also have an effect on top of all the other variables, like how much pirated junk you've filled your computer with.

It may be that having a full grid with lights, in the rain, while being in the lead is still too demanding even in ideal circumstances, whether through optimisation or actual demands on hardware. As I understand it, AMS2 is the best sim for VR in optimisation.

When Crysis (referencing it again) came out I built a PC just to make it run, even once I matched the quality of other parts to my gpu, it still wasn't enough to get buttery smoothness. I did the same for 3D vision with two 580s, was lush, but not 120fps locked.

No matter the build, even with the best components for the time, some games always wanted more.

Point being, take any claims of 'with X hardware you'll get x' with a pinch of salt, it is never that simple. :D

13. Bizarre Formula

Imagine how it would be if they added ray tracing which is quickly becoming standard fare for new games.

14. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I got that too.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Because providing an option that allows realism with a scaling factor to accommodate all the various hardware combinations and permutations is always better than a blanket cancellation of a feature.

Just because you might prefer to turn off headlights when they are used in real life to achieve a performance goal does not mean others want to make the same trade-off.

You realize that if I apply your logic to the situation, the solution is to just disable night and rain being used at the same time. That makes more sense than your choice because rain and night at the same time only apply to about 0.5% of all real-world racing. Headlights in rain are commonplace (and required in some instances).

If (and I repeat IF) the ability to select the number of cars that will display headlights in the game is possible to implement, it allows everyone to choose their preferred balance--including you who could turn it to zero. No need to restrict what other people can do to satisfy your singular preference. It is also not coincidental that other sims and games often include these types of scales for processor-intensive graphics and sound elements.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  16. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

never run multiclass races with a series that has a custom ai file, or the class with the custom ai will dominate the field

• Like Like x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe they can add the amount of cars to be rendered?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Indeed in other games like Raceroom, which doesn´t have weather, you can limit the number of AI cars drawn and also the number of contact shadows. This is helpful at the start of races too when there is a full grid of cars to draw.

19. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Active Member

Any word on when this RC will be released as the next official public version of AMS2? I don't have enough HDD space to try the RC on my SSD? I'm dying to race the new (old) Corvette at the Old Spa track.

20. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You realize the update will be as big as the RC right?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1