1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Bugsplat when i choose Stock cars 1999 and Cascavel. Anybody else ? Thanks
    Edit :
    I updated the nvidia driver and did a steam check.
    I notice that when I select Daytona oval with the brasilian stock car 1999, the game works. If, then, I select another track like Cascavel, Curitibia or Cordoba, I get a bugsplat.
    @CrimsonEminence are you aware ?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Disappointing, could easily argue that cars of that era had adjustable bars..at the very least the front.

3. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

It's always going to be tough to get sim cars doing realistic times regardless of the sim. In the sim you can have ideal weather conditions, a gripped up track, easy setup adjustments and massive amounts of laps to practice with no risk of injury or expensive damage. On top of that you've got players actively work to exploit holes in the physics, they're always going to find a way to go fast. Ogonoski is right about the speed, but that doesn't mean there's an easy solution.
    One of my favorite cars in sim racing is the Stockcar18x from Rfactor 2. That feels great, but it is way too fast on a road course. If you take it to VIR you can easily run laps as fast as Trans-Am TA1 cars. A real life Xfinity stock car has 200 horsepower less and weighs 400-500 lbs. more. There's no way it should do those times. Overly fast cars are a problem in all sims not just AMS2 or Iracing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I fully agree

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. ju gnot

ju gnot New Member

Hi Dady :) . Thanks for the feedback. Yes OK, i will test and uninstall and delete folders yes. Cross fingers, will see

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

The point in general is good, the fact he compares the Corvette GTP V8 NA to the times of the Corvette GTP V6 Turbo not so much however.

Especially as he mentions how easy it was to research the times, it is just as easy to go under Technical Data on that site and compare the specs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

It's an oversight on his part, but I think the difference wouldn't be that much if they run at full boost in qualifying. At the full 20psi the V6 Turbo produced around 775 HP according to this site, so it was only ~25HP less powerful than the V8 we have in AMS2 and it probably weighed less and the car was a bit shorter, so it probably wasn't too much of a difference in laptimes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. J.Morelli

J.Morelli New Member

Anyone knows what happened to Fontana and Gateway? They simply disappeared from my AMS 2 track list......

9. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

these are time limited free circuits before racing usa pt3 release.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO

WALLACE ALMEIDA MARINHO Active Member

@Renato Simioni In the next update, put the elapsed race time and the time in the race

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Racinglegend1234

And being able to adjust the track and air temps

12. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Some thoughts on the topic of performance discrepancies of the sim cars vs real counterparts: Generally speaking, most cars in the sim can achieve faster times by 1-2s in an average size track. We consider that a reasonable threshold given variables that aren´t thoroughly simulated and inherent advantages of sim racing vs real life driving - naturally when we learn of any measurable innacuracy that may be contributing to a performance discrepancy, we will address it.

There is a different approach in classes with mixed cars, where we may slightly over or undermodel a given car´s strengths and weaknesses in order to retain some balance of performance against the other cars in the class - this way models that were faster than others in real life are still faster in the sim and their relative strengths and weaknesses represented, but the gap usually reduced to tenths rather than seconds. Real modern GT series do that via balance of performance rules, and it´s just a logical gameplay measure that does not fundamentally detract from its realism - you can give a car slightly better engine, tires, aero or take a little weight off, but the car is still fundamentally the car.

Historical cars are trickier because data is both more scarse and less reliable, including performance data - motorsports as a whole just weren´t as optimized back then as they are today, and the chances teams and drivers would extract peak performance from a car over a couple of qualifying runs in any given year were substantially reduced relative to what is seen today.

Take for example this result from the 1000km of Spa in 1988 - the Sauber C9 set the pole with 2:02.2; our Sauber C9 in AMS2 in turn is capable of running in the 1:59s in the similar (if not identical) Spa 93 layout. Can we say for sure that means the sim performance is innacurate though, or even by how much? Do we believe a Jochen Mass, JL Schlesser or Johansson were really extracting the maximum lap time from that car, Ayrton Senna style? If we can´t, we don´t know for sure what peak performance of the car was and thus have no reliable frame of reference. Schumacher and Frentzen as rookies were almost immediately faster than any of the old timers once they arrived at Sauber, hinting that would be far from a safe assumption.

Then there is the element of team preparation - in that same qualifying session, the faster Porsche 962 C was a whopping 8.6s than the slowest one - naturally you have to take the faster car as the more appropriate reference of its performance, but what if there were no other Porsches to gauge from? Some cars like the Corvette GTP had so many variations over the years and so little sampling of results to pick from that any random lap time is hardly conclusive evidence of its ultimate capabilities.

Than there are the tracks - even tracks that have for the most part retained their old layouts have become faster courtesy of flattened curbs and better tarmac quality since the 00s relative to the 70s and 80s. If a modern track is all you have to gauge lap times relative to real life results from the same car and track in the 80s, it´s already far from a 1:1 comparison.

In light of these variables, the best we can do as sim physics developers is to reach a very educated guestimate that tries to account for all these unknowns vs what can be learned from the car itself, in order to deliver a reasonable representation of the car that works in the context of the game.

There is no question the Corvette GTP performance is overmodelled, as is in fact the Porsche 962C - the extent of which however when you consider the above is extremely debatable, and whatever 1-2% discrepancy there is in each component do not detract from the fact that the car as a combination of chassis, engine, suspension and aerodynamics modelling remains essentially the car as it should be.

• Informative Informative x 47
    • Winner Winner x 14
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Racinglegend1234

Thank you for the information. The only developer who speaks when called out. I fully believe you and can understand that it is hard doing what you are doing. KEEP IT UP!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The next update will add support for cars to be set with front / rear roll bar adjustments independently.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Elcid43

Awesome! Maybe an overtake button for the Formula Ultimate gen 2? And since we don't have cockpit adjustable diffs (yet?) Maybe we can get cockpit adjustable rollbars for the FUG2?

I am getting greedy, I know!

Thanks! :hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Racinglegend1234

Hopefully engine map and engine braking adjustments from cockpit

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Elcid43

That too! And a transparent or at least thinner halo pillar.

I could keep going, lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is mid race saving a possibility. Is this something that could be implemented?

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  19. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

But please, if this is added make it an option, maybe I'm the only one, but I'm against transparent halo haha.
    Not that I drive the Formula ultimates too much, my brain cant process that speed.

20. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

This is one of the features I want the most to be able to make some proper endurance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1