Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

We are willing to help everyone who has an issue with AMS2. You just need to comply and your experience will become better

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I guess that's a problem with having so many different types of car.

Like you say, I think high aero cars like the formulas feel pretty good. Some others are easy to overdrive which is what I think gives this floaty / unconnected feel. I also think that weight transfer seems to play a much larger role in the handling of the car than other sims. Some cars have massive understeer going into a corner on balanced throttle or flat out, but if you lift off / touch the brakes to get the weight over the front they really grip up. The lotus 49c is a good example of this. I have no idea if this is more or less realistic than other sims, but it is definitely more important to do in AMS2. So maybe some there needs to be some changes to how the weight sits on the tyres under less extreme conditions, or maybe this is more accurate. I don't know.

In the Caterham videos I made above, the car looks very close to real-life behaviour when driven at a similar pace. It feels connected to the road too. However it is very easy to overdrive it. There isn't enough to slow you down coming from the physics or the FFB. When you go over the limit you start understeering / oversteering and get that floaty feel. This is where I think the feel could be improved to keep you more close to the limit. I am using the default FFB with the recommended settings for my wheel from the thread.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I totally agree with that. And thats also a good thing in comparision to other games. Playing with the weight transfer feels so natural.

If you want to avoid overdrive you can follow the wheel of a 110-120% IA to reply the brake points and so.

4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wonder, why is the AI allowed to overtake me under full course yellow?
    There's no reason!
    If I try to reovertake, then I get penalty.
    ss140421.jpg

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Seconded... It's seriously insane how much ffb-settings influence the entire experience with a car in ams2.
    I think especially true in recent months, as before the default(+) would "break" after extensive physics revisions were done in an update.
    Seems to still be glossed over all too easily as having nothing to do with inherent physics traits.
    In the end a lot depends on sheer feel, and that, in a sim, is mainly based on the ffb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Also there is no reason for the AI to cut corners and nothing happen to them.
    Also there is no reason for the AI to open wide DRS and being slower than the player with DRS closed but ERS mode 5.

and many more unreasonable AI-related behaviours.

It all comes down to AI being not fully developed yet. When will they reach a mature state so we are allowed to complain without receiving the usual "its being developed, give it time"? Idk.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The AI use different physics which could maybe limit how well it works with these features. We probably have to wait until the AI get the same physics

8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It happens also at the beginning of the race with rolling starts. AI doesn't care about you being P1. Has been like this for long time

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fully agree. FFB is 95% of what you feel the car is doing. If that is not right then it's going to be hard to have proper assessment of physics other than the things that can be seen visually which are not many.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One thing that most miss about AMS2’s FFB is the in game dampening. I run mine at minimum of 50 with default or default + and I turn the FX way down to 5 or less. This usually helps get a better feel while cornering.

Feels silly to have to say this but the way some are talking in here I’m not sure they really get it or just want all cars to feel like they are a GT3 or an F1, but at higher speeds f1 cars will gain downforce and your wheel will be come heavier and more “glued” to the road where in a low downforce car it will feel the opposite such as the caterhams so yes overdriving a low downforce car will feel less connected to the road because it is!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i think what they mean is that in non aero cars it feels like you are floating, where as in real life you'd still have a fairly good steering spring feeling in the wheel, it wouldn't just go super light

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Theodore Schultz

Yes but in a real car you have other cues to let you know but in a sim so you need something to tell you are over the limit. However the beauty of AMS2 is the ability to customize the FFB infinitely. If you don’t like the wheel going light you can increasing the in game dampening more or use a custom file. DanielKart’s V45 has very little sensation of the wheel going light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

The problem is not the fact that overdriving the car make it feels less connected to the road, the problem is you are often quite a lot faster doing it. The "limit" is very wide and you don't lose much speed in AMS2 while in other games it is sometimes extremely tight and you pretty much spin going just a tiny bit over it. So you have to underdrive the cars there while it is often beneficial overdriving it in AMS2. It should be a kinda in the middle I think.

EDIT: I should also add that this has gotten better with almost every physics update so far in my opinion, but I still don't feel like it is perfect yet.

• Like Like x 4
  14. WhippyWhip

i think raceroom has by far the best ffb, you can understeer and get to the limit without the car feeling like it's floating, from my limited track time in an m4 at brands hatch it felt closest to what i experienced irl

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  15. Theodore Schultz

Maybe in a lap or two but not over a longer distance or if you have tire wear increased. Try putting 4x wear and push over several laps and let me know how your times are compare over the stint than if you ran a controlled pace. It is the same reason no one runs qualifying pace over an entire race. You would smoke your tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Theodore Schultz

I also like R3E but I feel like I have endless grip in many cars. Like the cars can’t be overdriven and that may have an appeal to some. It feels like the exact opposite to IRacing.

17. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would've loved to follow the conversation but looking at those walls of text I wonder if it'd be easier to try looking through the fog on a cold morning in autumn on the Nordschleife :D Seriously, a simple paragraph here and there would make it so much better to read.
    Someone mentioned the 2019 Stock Car being much more drivable. It's the only Stock Car that has soft tyres as an option, that might be the reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. WhippyWhip

raceroom has much more closer to real life times than iracing or ams2, the cars are slower in raceroom so there is actually less grip but you get the feeling of an actual race car having a good amount of grip through the ffb, which is how it should feel

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. kingkoenig

kingkoenig Active Member

Funny, I quit playing Raceroom because the ffb was completely wrong with my new Fanatec wheelbase.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You will be waiting until infinity or until desktop PCs come with quantum computing capabilities, whichever comes first. Many computers already strain to run only the player's car advanced physics with the AI as they are now. There is no PC in existence that could run even 10 AI and the player car all using the player-based physics.