Automobilista 2 October 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Pocono was a serious embarrassment to IndyCar back in 2018-19. Multiple nasty crashes at the 2019 race with the fence being barely patched after the accident. That all after Wilson died 4 years before at that very track, Hinchcliffe nearly died in testing at Indy in 2015, Wickens was paralyzed in 2018, not to mention the death of Wheldon at Vegas years prior. If you watch the 2015 Fontana race back, the stands are completely empty. It may be a vintage, all-time great race, but the drivers voiced serious concerns over how dangerous it was, which were confirmed just months later at Pocono.

Kentucky provided great racing, but it had logistics and pretty severe flooding issues. I drive past there all the time and it's been sitting empty since the start of the pandemic. The sign for the last NASCAR race is still up.

I know fans don't like to hear this, but the risks of ovals just aren't as palatable to modern motorsport. Of course, without serious risk of injury or death, we'd want the cars to be doing 250mph average laps, but even 220-230mph with cars in that close of proximity is a huge step in risk compared to road course racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Racinglegend1234

Are you saying Indycar should go to less ovals?

4. DavidGossett

I'm saying it's not exactly worth the risk if drivers are getting seriously injured. The aero screen would've done nothing to prevent Hinchcliffe and Wickens' injuries. I like high-speed ovals, but there are concerns about cars getting into the catch fence. I 100% believe Pocono is not fit for IndyCar, as for the others, idk.

Edit: many of these ovals were originally designed with NASCAR in mind. The lower speeds and bigger cars make for a much safer package. Carbon fiber may be better than a spaceframe chassis, but there is more room to dissipate the energy of a crash. Also, the catch fence is not as dangerous of a factor with a big heavy NASCAR chassis as it is for a small open-wheeler. The 15-30 mph extra that IndyCars go at these tracks is enough to make the likelihood of cars going airborne much higher.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DavidGossett

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Racinglegend1234

Maybe they let slower cars drive them IRL, but gives us the most dangerous oval in AMS2

7. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I love oval racing. It's a lot of fun to watch. But Turn 2 at Pocono is not safe to do in the DW-12.

Gateway and Iowa are safer because they're much shorter tracks. Indy is safer because the turns aren't banked, so you need to cut speed going into the corner.

If IndyCar is going to expand to add more ovals, look for them to go to shorter ovals rather than bigger ones.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Seems more like an attempt at selling the business... 2M now and 8M at the option of MSG ownership, technically a put option with some conditions. I wonder who they have been selling to. Just to know if it is some genuine investor or just a Matrioska.. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just letting ya'll know there's a lot of people on Twitter trying to blow this back on Reiza...

10. DavidGossett

After seeing the MSG deal, I have to agree with you that this is probably MSG behind this. If it is Reiza, it would be a huge PR blunder, but I highly doubt Reiza would be this aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Let's ask ourselves which sim racing companies benefit from and would pursue exclusive licensing arrangements versus those who are happy to live and let others live?

Exclusive licensing of cars, tracks or series is a very bad step in the wrong direction for the sim racing community as a whole in my opinion. And dumb marketing on the part of the license holders, but that's another story.

• Agree Agree x 10
  12. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's Twitter. We shouldn't be surprised

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Thanks for sharing this. I remember at the time that the test was a way to pressure Ron Dennis more than a serious attempt at Indy. Also, I remember that Senna was really impressed with the drivability of the engine on low torque, and that it was a fun car to drive. I believe he would really like being and Indycar driver. He said in an interview that his plan was to drive in F1 until 40 years of age to then move to Indy to relax and end his career there. In AMS2, these Indy cars are indeed very fun to drive, so I guess this was a good plan; sadly not to be.

• Like Like x 2
  14. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

It would be weird. I had a problem with ME for physics but currently it looks like Reiza is able to build ultra good simulator on it. They don't need anything else because AMS2 could be the best game on the market very soon. OK, probably not from MP perspective but I play SP only.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. DavidGossett

This 100% wreaks of MSG who was ready to snatch every license they could. MSG has been concerned more with E-Sports rights (not sure why as it hasn't seemed a very profitable market), and not so much with actually making games.

Let's not kid ourselves, exclusive licenses have been a thing for much longer. DiRT Rally 2.0 had to remove a whole class because of the WRC games (ironically DiRT Rally 3.0 is probably dead because they got the license to WRC), Codies have exclusively had the rights to F1 for years, etc. IndyCar was just doing what F1 already had. Even if Reiza did get the license, I don't like shutting down iRacers from broadcasting content. Reiza and iRacing already were both using the Brazilian Stock Car license, so my guess would be MSG is the one to blame.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For open wheelers anyways. But even then I wouldn't shed a tear if NASCAR stopped going to Daytona. Fairly narrow and located in Florida where pop up and sudden showers happen often which ruined the 2022 summer race.

Honestly when every one is the leader, no one is. You can have too much of a good thing, and that's what I feel many of these high speed ovals lay on the spectrum. I typically don't care about "easy overtakes" but superspeedways and other tracks that encourage that type of racing is like sports betting. It is genuinely the closest thing to a "lucky win" that happens often in motorsports (this isn't to knock the achievements of those drivers who specialize in this type of racing, but there is a reason Dale Earnhardt took 20 years to win the Daytona 500). It is so easy for that skill and talent to be taken away by one guy making a minor mistake and it happens almost every single time, it's predictable in its unpredictability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I dont get it. Wouldnt Dirt Rally 3.0 just be WRC 23?

18. Racinglegend1234

Yes, but lets see if they make the physics like F1 22 or a real new Dirt Rally 2.0

19. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

So if ams2 isn’t the winner and MSG has been given cash flow to continue on, ams2 needs to release the likeness of the ir18

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

MSG bought exclusive Indycar license? :-o