Automobilista 2 October 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Still catching up reading here and even last beta not tried.
    However.
    Bravo
    I do know from what I've read/+beta that you had something for Christmas to release for people to try ref (twitter post) (rather than just dev read article !!) and turned out maybe not up to your standard to release.
    If it is not up to it, then at least some will appreciate the effort put in to release it , even if its the final hrs (today) before the plug is pulled on plan.
    As @Ettore implied when the update to sim comes it will be worth it (with the req extra polish not possible at the moment due to Christmas and not lack of commitment.
    Enjoy the break all at Reiza Dev.
    Enjoy Christmas All. esp if new hardware comes your way!!
    Happy anniversary today, RS (The Man') ..as well!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Soon™

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If you’re determined to be negative while we develop this game, than that’s you. It benefits no-one.
    I prefer to focus on the potential.
    Even now, great oval racing can be had in sp and mp. I personally was involved in an oval race hosted by GPLaps himself rather early on that was honestly, pretty great.
    If you can’t replicate that at ovals or otherwise, im sorry to say, you need to look inward. its you or your group.
    We’ll continue to focus on what we need to do as we can.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 5
    • Winner x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  4. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I posted it earlier or in another thread, they kind of blend together. I’ve been racing ovals for quite a while with a lot of the INDYCARs from a ways back to the current ir18. When you guys released Indianapolis track I was like wtf, I keep spinning out, I was scratching my head for a while. I looked at my steering input and I was putting way too much wheel in to get it to turn. Stock steering in the garage is like 18 in the 98 Reynard Honda. I went up and that was a huge difference, making it at 26. All wheels are different and and in your wheel settings, sensitivity and stuff all adds up, trial and error. Small tweaks to the setup is all I did and at 107 Ai, the ai couldn’t keep up. The slip angle is a little excessive but hopefully that gets worked out. I could get a lot of that out but then I’d have a dump truck, but at the degree of angle I should be in the fence. The CART cars with a sequential shifter on the ovals and RC’s are very immersive and when I jump back in the ir18, it’s meh .

Merry Christmas

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Jeez... all I'm saying is that there is an underlying issue with the current AI that doesn't matter what the user do, it won't fix it.

But whatever, paint me however you feel like.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Would you recommend in general against fixed setup servers?
    I'm OK with setting cars up so if you'd recommend that, not a problem.
    Its something I can bear in mind if l open up a server.

7. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Are you by any chance involved in planning train schedules, too? Because I think that's where I know this definition of "shortly" from.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. nito-ibz

nito-ibz Active Member

Yeah, whatever... You always do the same. Your "tomorrow will be posted" Means nothing at this point. 0 Credibility

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelreserv

im not painting anything. Nobody said anything is perfect, ai wise. There are a thousand+ car/track combos here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. steelreserv

It depends. Ovals, generally no. Even a few clicks of tire pressure matters there. Anything else, if you want a quick, low key race, fixed is fine. Anything more serious, imo requires a more serious approach.

11. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I havent actually tried ovals at all so I went to try it now, something is really weird as soon as you go in the track with the first gen indy car, but I went to the box and changed the front wing and something seemed to reset as someone else said and it drives normal.
    I think if someone new to the game get that first experience they should be frustrated by it if they are not willing to figure it out as some on this forum show that they are not willing and go out of their way to sh*t on the game (not talking about sgsfabiano, his critics are usually valid). I love the game but I really think this little things should be worked out to give a better first experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  12. samrussell_98

samrussell_98 If in doubt, go flat out AMS2 Club Member

Calling all beta testers…I’m now out of beer, the family have gone home, just me my partner and the dog still waiting for Renato to capture the perfect cover picture for the dev update. Someone help the man out and send him a winner of a shot…TY

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelreserv

Defaults setups for all tracks arent designed to be the “fastest setup of all time”, they are designed to be quick enough for the fastest drivers and approachable for everyone else…at every track under any condition.

I can understand if a host of a 6 lap pubbie wants to keep it simple and fix it. Id recommend the host choose simple race conditions as well. Ultra cold or hot, no. Rain? MmMmm

If you open setups, inevitably guys are going to have pre-tuned setups or more setup exp and others won’t. But on the same note, some guys will have driven the same car/track combo 100 times, others it may be their first time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Merry Christmas to the AMS2 community and especially to the developers that show such a great dedication and commitment all year long and also during holidays.
    :hurrayreiza:

Let's all take it easy and chill a bit.
    Have some great simracing in the coming days whatever you like to fire up and race.
    :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Although I agree, we're literlly just waitng for one guy to click send...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pales

Pales Member

Sorry, I disagree with you here. He's not being negative at all. In fact, what he said is entirely accurate, and I agree with him. You can load up any car and track combination in this game and all of the fundamental issues with the AI become apparent within the first lap.

Having experienced iRacing AI & rF2 AI, I can safely say that the oversimplified physics model that was inherited from the Madness engine and applied to the AI in AMS2 is straight up a detriment to this game. It needs an overhaul, or AT LEAST some very big adjustments to make it more lifelike when it comes to fluidity and motion of the AI Cars. I just cannot get the unnecessary weaving and erratic snapping of the racing spline behaviour out of my eyes, it is such an eye sore to observe.

Also, right now you cannot even select a car or track combination where the AI do not turn the track into a rally course after 5-6 laps. They're simply incapable of battling without sending it full speed on dirt or grass, and they suffer no physics penalties as a result. Pretty game and immersion breaking stuff.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Here in Brazil being on time isn't really a thing, people are often late for stuff, that's where the term "Brazilian time" comes from. :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Put it this way: it will be real Christmas for us simracers only when Renato presses SEND.
    Unfortunately nothing can be leaked, but Santa Renato is coming with plenty good stuff. 'nough said. :D

19. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Makes sense, so it's a culture problem. Great. But the game is awesome at least. :D My hype meter is around zero so dev update could be in next year easily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think about this sometimes, and although I agree with the line snapping thing, and AI not being effected by surfaces. I don't think either of those issues are truely as big as a problem as you make them out to be. On some tracks, like Indy, Suzuka, and every version of imola, that either was a rush job or haven't got much love as of late, yeah, the AI do some wierd things occasionally. But then I try the DPI's vs GT3's at Daytona or Long Beach, and the AI generally behaves better than a Iracing event.

I don't think the issues you've brought up aren't unfixable, but I also don't think they are as bad as you say either...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1