Automobilista 2 V1.4.5.2 & New DLC Packs RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You will never see the same gaps in the sim as in real life with old cars. Until at least the early 80s, most teams struggled to run their cars in tin top shape all the time, and spent practice and qualifying fixing broken stuff. And many of them did not know how to setup their cars, specially on first years of ground effects era.

Those things are not a problem in a sim. You always receive a car in tin top shape, and you can test and tweak with more ease, even using telemetry tools that were non existant back then. It's much easier to reach the potential of a given car inside the simulation.

The thing about BoP in old cars, is that you need to define the scenario for it. BoP over one lap? Over a short race? A long one? A full distance one? Over several different tracks?

We definitely need more tools for adapting to the preferred scenario, because Reiza will never be able to deliver a BoP that pleases most of their customers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Even in todays day and age... F1 cars with an engine that has run a few races are down on power and more likely to break than a fresh one...

More than half the grid was basically in another sport in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s... Manufacturers brought new engines to each race, then to each day, then to each session... Whilst the privateers ran an engine until it made sense financially to fit a new engine... And that trickles down to so many other parts...

Our simulated mechanics are only fixing things in the pit bay...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup that was it, aids weren't set to authentic so TC must have gotten activated on a car I would have never expected it to :D

Had a blast afterwards!

4. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The MPRS does not agree with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but I think there a couple things worth mentioning.

First the generic turbo car has had some changes made to it in the most recent update. It was listed at 900 bhp before this latest update, but it now has a top power output of 830. That is 80 less HP than the Brabham which has 910, which on paper sounds like the Brabham is way faster, but on track that's not necessarily true. The other thing to note with the generic gen 3 turbo is its default setup has also changed. It's default is now using 65% turbo boost compared, it used to be 70%, to the 70% boost the Brabham has by its default. If you simply increase that boost to 70% it can achieve similar if not faster pace than the Brabham while being much easier to drive.

I've done some pretty extensive testing of this generation of cars recently, and IMO the performace levels are historically pretty good. The generic turbo has much better cornering grip than the BT52 and it's turbo doesn't have nearly the same turbo lag as the BT52. The BT52 with default fuel feels really skiddish with the rear and doesn't settle down until you fill the fuel tank up significantly.

In terms of AI performance there's so many factors that need to be taken into consideration when trying to replicate similar results to that of the 1983 season. If you're not running actual full race lengths, or setting up races in a way where fuel, tire wear, mechanical wear, etc are not accelerated to match full race lengths, if your race lengths are shorter, you'll get results that seem less accurate. You have to also think about how you have your custom AI files setup and do extensive, and I mean extensive, testing to really dial in the many settings of each AI driver which just for this one class could take an insane amount of time.

There's a video reviewing the 1983 season I'll link below, and it's also worth looking up the race results to see the number of retirements in this era was astonishing. So to simply look at one lap pace is important, it is far from delivering the entire picture of overall car performance. You have to take into consideration fuel tank sizes, reliability of the cars, how the cars handle qualifying setup vs race setups etc.

In terms of the BOP discussion, I think people gravitating towards only the fastest cars is an inherent flaw for MP racing. This is not just a Reiza problem. It literally happens in every racing game and even if performance was similar across the board in this class, people would gravitate towards one car over the other if it was perceived as slightly faster or easier to drive than the other cars. Just look at ACC a BOPed game still has cars favored over others on a per track basis. IR has the same exact issue. So even if Reiza took the time to create a BOP setting that leveled things out, eventually you'd still wind up with lobbies favoring one model over the others because, in general, people always choose the best option when they go racing.

I think the BT52 has the fastest potential of all the gen 3 models in the current RC, but it's way harder to drive at that potential lap after lap compared to the generic gen 3 turbo. I think the generic gen 3 has much better high speed lateral grip (take turn 3 and turn 6 at Jacaparaguá 1988 version in both cars to see), more forgiving turbo lag, and while not as fast as the BT52, is not far behind. Again if adjusting the turbo to 70% which doesn't add much engine wear at all, it becomes much more competitive with the BT52 in terms of top speed. The NA cars are going to get smoke in qualifying trim most likely, but outside a few cases that was the story of that season. The NA cars however, could fair much better in race pace when the turbo cars had to turn their turbos down to finish races and were generally more reliable from an engine perspective. So while they may not be competitive in quali trim, they can hang with turbo cars in full race length trim a lot better.

TLDR: One lap pace is not capturing the overall performance of these cars. Each car can be competitive in race trim, even the NA cars, and Reiza have done a pretty good job between historical performance accuracy and balancing to make the class generally competitive regardless of which car you choose. The retro gen 3 has better class balancing than I think people are arguing. Balancing is closer than the Group C for instance, make the 962 competitive please. MP racing inherently gravitates towards the fastest car no matter what, and the shorter races of public lobbies will skew people's perception of the classes performance levels of each car.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  6. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It does in ranked/scheduled Multiplayer races

7. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hard to get good data without having a poll about it, but I'd say just as many would like to win in casual races as in ranked/scheduled Multiplayer races, and similarly: Just as many race in ranked/scheduled Multiplayer races because they want to race against players that are roughly equal to them in skill instead of with random players of unknown skill.

Players come in many flavors. One reason why people believe that "most people who race ranked want to come first" is that the players who want to come first are also the most likely to bring up that point, while those who aren't bothered by not coming first remain the "silent majority" (I'm not saying that they're a majority - I'm using the metaphor). This phenomenon is called Availability Bias.

(I'm one of those who enjoy racing the slower/less popular car in a class, by the way.)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Most players want instant satisfaction.. and think they can race, thus when the bin it or crash they ragequit. They never build up awareness, skills and all that. Also it's ok to be bad or mediocore. If you enjoy racing that's how it is. To learn, to develop. I began rallying with Dirt Rally 1 back in days. Slowly I raced on circuits, etc. Thanks to some dudes who I am very fond off, but I lost trace of them. I was bad too.. Even managed to think I was very good, until I found out it was a fricking formation lap... Hello Bram from RD, hehe. I quit of shame and didn't race MP for quite a few months, haha. I played more and more circuit sim. Learned more.How to race, etc. Where to pass and where not.. And according to some people I am quite good. Not alienlike, but sometimes I get in the flow and beat some incredibly good racers. Moral of the story: Don't give up. If you crash, try to limp to the pits, repair and give it another go. Learn from your mistakes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Cheers mate much appreciated! We had one hell of a time on NYE! I can safely say it went down as one of the best NYE's i've ever had! I've been at great house parties, ran jam session & played gigs usually on NYE and this was right up there, such a fun night. Have to do boozey demolition derby again some time, its so much fun when everyones not taking everything too seriously! (I love my serious racing and would not allow disrespectful racing or non observation of racing rules usually, but this server had no rules and everyone in there knew what the plan was, so we had a great time! Much laughing going on!). Happy New Year to you mate!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Not the place I expected this type of advice but as someone who suffers from the exact issue you mentioned in the start of that sentence this has really given me a boost in motivation to improve, thank you!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

iRacing is the same. Same combos are one car only, two at best in the GT3 itself

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This was a huge take away when I was doing research when I made my posts awhile ago. Piquet's teammate literally only finished 5 races in a 15 race season

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CatAstrophe05

Anyone else get a 28mb hotfix?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Roy Niessink

that seems to only be when you are on the releasecandidate, on the regular build i didn't get one so far

15. CatAstrophe05

Well I am on the RC so that adds up, just wondering what the deal is with it (unless it's just some silent bugfixing)

16. Roy Niessink

just did a comparison, on the RC the Group C issues at low downforce tracks seems to be fixed, not sure what else might have changed, didn't check Snetterton for example.

Edit:

Snetterton still not working on the RC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Janitormentor

Janitormentor Active Member

Maybe an idea for upcoming career mode to Reiza?

18. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

did a low downforce variant exist?

19. CatAstrophe05

I don't think they existed for any cars in the 1988 season: honestly my guess as to why the generic cars do here is that since they reused the models for the new Gen3 class (which did have LD variants, so all cars in that class do) they decided to add them to Gen 2 too, with the exception of the MP4/4

20. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I got it but the bastard set off my AV...

Before the late 00s F1 cars had variants for nearly every track... At least at the front of the field...

• Like Like x 1