Automobilista 2 V1.4.5.2 & New DLC Packs RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I will be a bit pessimistic when thinking of buying his new game, but if I can be a beta tester I would

2. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe For VR users:rolleyes:... With the exception of its MP system perhaps it is, but unless they can somehow detach this P2P MP code from it, it will forever be behind the curve..

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

being more complex is not always better, the madness engine proves that, it in no way drives the most realistic and is full of bugs, AMS1 is still a miles better driving experience than ams2

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
  4. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

I'm not going to get into an argument about which sim is best. I have no real world experience of any of the cars featured in the sims I own, my track day experience is limited to bikes. So in that respect I cannot possibly comment on which drivers the most realistically.

The sims I routinely play, RF2, ACC, AMS2 and BeamNG all provide, to my mind at least, a reasonably accurate and somewhat realistic driving experience. They are all slightly different for sure but to me where they all struggle to be convincing is at the edge of grip, both at loss of traction and regaining grip. In my opinion this is related to both the tyre model(s) and the FFB. The feeling at edge of grip will arguably never be accurate because the real world forces on a drivers body cannot be replicated 100%. They can be simulated for sure and this is why I love driving sims, but the arguments about which sim is best or most realistic will always rage and always be subjective!

All have bugs and exploits, and must be enjoyed for what they are, computer games.

tldr, I agree that more complex is not always better, however I firmly believe of all the sims available now, AMS2 has the most scope. I believe Reiza realised this, it's why the chose the Madness Engine for AMS2, and will get more from it than SMS ever did.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Good move!

I honestly wish more people waited instead of buying games when they are unfinished and still being improved, and then complaining that the game unfinished and needs improving.

I personally enjoy the journey but it's clearly not for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel like a part of the reason why everything turned out the way it did is modern gaming culture both behind the scenes and within these spaces. If Pcars was self-published (let's also pretend he'd have the same resources, I know this wouldn't be the case irl) would Ian-Bell and SMS be able to put the time in to actually make the Madness Engine live up to its potential from the start? I also feel like the shorter than desired dev cycle leads devs to focus on things like adding new content and gimmicks instead of needed changes and improvements in order to make the game more marketable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For single player users it 100% is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Licenses were probably out of control for PC2. I'm sure their lessons learned document says something along the lines of "don't move too far too fast next time." They could have even kept the 2 year cycle if they hadn't have added so much content all at once.

In the end, they got in too deep and had to resort to the gaming equivalent of OnlyFans to made ends meet (lookin' at you f&f crossroads, world of speed and pcars go).

Of course a publisher will put up money for licenses if it leads to a bigger slice of the pie for them. I picture the robot devil from Futurama offering them licenses lol.

9. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you look at how much Reiza has added to AMS2 with probably half the amount of licenses, its actually pretty impressive. Our Group C/GTP field is as well stocked as PC2 minus the Nissan ZX-turbo. Just replace the Jag with the Vette, and count the Low downforce versions.

I'm just guessing here, but I would guess the ROI on AMS 2 is probably similar to PC2 with maybe 20% of the playerbase because of how frugal they've been with licenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

I dare say creating the Madness engine was a bigger cost than brand licencing - I can imagine Ian Bell smooth talking the marketing people over a fine wine into paying him to use their vehicles and tracks!
    Kunos got some exclusive licences without going bankrupt after all.

11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Kunos are owned by a company with quite a lot of money

12. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Not when AC was in development, right?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Kunos did have Netkar Pro though which pretty much was early AC as a tech demo. Had a couple of tracks and a couple versions of a F3 car. They got the engine almost perfected before jumping into licensing, which likely saved a lot of time, headache, and money

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Manbird12000

Manbird12000 Active Member

I've been simming for 35+ years and this is what a lot of simmers lose sight of. The obsession with accuracy and realism steals the joy. Every hour we spend scrutinizing a car (which we've never driven in real life) for not being as realistic as we think it should be, is an hour of fun we're not having. At the end of the day, THESE ARE GAMES we play with TOY STEERING WHEELS. Realism Schmealism!

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 7
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There were sims in 1987?

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yes there were. Revs existed on BBC Micro, Nigel Mansell’s WC existed for 8-Bit computers, where you had to manage boost and fuel consumption.
    GP Circuit existed for Amiga an Atari ST. Very much sim, given the hardware of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Yes, Test Drive is a sim from 1987

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You know it's a simulator because it has the same damage model as Assetto Corsa (hit something and the windshield instantly shatters).

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  20. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Reminds me of this I made 5 years ago:

• Like Like x 3