Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Share your settings (alpha manager and ingame) so we can tell you what you have to change.
    You don't want to look for the same sensations as with a belt wheel.

2. David Collins

David Collins New Member

Sorry if this seems a simple question but this is all very new to me.

I notice some custom files report none to very little loss of grip, you still slide but dont feel it, others report lots of information, can these custom files change the level of grip you have or is it just the feel.

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Just what you feel and how much

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Collins

David Collins New Member

Thanks, thats as i thought.

5. ayrton2388

ayrton2388 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Turns out, it is the road texture_scale. I turned it off, and noticed none of those very quick and very short vibrations. That's awesome! Also turned down the engine vibrations when stopped. I popped into a quick P3 cars race on Velopark, and i was able to put down race laps faster that the World Record for this car / track combo in Time Trial. This FFB is incredibly good when it comes to the info that it gives you, at least imo.

I would like to tweak a couple of things, but that's a matter of personal taste. So, i got a couple more questions for you, if you don't mind.

For the road texture_scale feel, the engine vibrations and tire scrub when cornering, i noticed that for all of these, the FFB feedback is made of pretty intense and very very short vibrations (at least with no smoothing set in SimPro manager software). Is there a global setting, or some individual settings that would make those vibrations longer / have a longer frequency / not happen so quickly one after another? I'm interested the most in the tire scrub when cornering, to be honest.

And the 2nd question... I noticed that when standing still, the steering is very very light, when in reality, it should feel heavier than when driving forward. This makes it feel unrealistic. It's not a deal-breaker, cause it doesn't really matter when racing, but is there any setting to make this heavier?

Also, a big thank you for the amazing work you've done, man.

Ah, and another thing :D Can you edit and load the ffb file without exiting and restarting the game?

6. ayrton2388

Well, several people were mentioning that the default SimPro settings work pretty great (feels like 95% of the simagic users have the mini, though) out of the box for AMS 2, so i started with that.

Total force: 50%
    Smooth level: 4
    Wheel return speed: 4
    Vehicle Suspension: 8
    Mechanical spring: 0
    Mechanical damper: 30%
    Mechanical friction: 30%
    Dynamic damper: 0
    Interpolation level: 1

In AMS 2, i used Gain at 70%, 0 LFB, FX at 25-ish, and 0 Dampen.

What i was looking to get out of the default or the default+ profile was something relatively similar to what Kuku's file feels. A car that's smooth to drive, and doesn't overpower you, isn't snappy, but still gives you enough info to catch slides and stuff like that.

I will most likely use Kuku's file, with some personal tweaks, but i'd love to understand how to set up my Alpha in order to get a smoother, less snappy and abrupt changes feel of the car, even without a custom profile. I am kinda overwhelmed by all the SimPro manager + Ams 2 settings combined.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  7. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Total force: 100%
    Smooth level: 0
    Wheel return speed: max
    Vehicle Suspension: 0
    Mechanical spring: 0
    Mechanical damper: 5-10%
    Mechanical friction: 5-10%
    Dynamic damper: 0
    Interpolation level: 0-1

Default/default+ : Gain 30-40, fx 10-30, damping 40-50.
    Kuku file: gain 40, fx 30 or less, damping 30-40.

Start gain at my lower recomendation, and fx at higher recomendation first. Then, if you find too light or too heavy (depending on the radius and kg of your wheel) adjust that. Adjust FX to get more or less reactive sensations.

After that, just change damping to your taste.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Glad your making progress.
    you can alter the frequency of the vibe’s by lowering the associated scrub and tear frequency, just try scrub first.
    (scrub_frq_scale 0.86)
    (tear_frq_scale 1.6)

it’s possible you may need to lower the scales for each after changing., but that will have a flow on effect to strength of other turning forces. and you might end up chasing your tail.

with wheel weight at standstill you can try just adding 5-10 friction and damper in simpro software.

or failing that you can mess around with the velocity resistance scales
    (velocity_res_scale 0.4) #How much velocity affects resistance
    (velocity_res_offset 0.6) #How much resistance at velocity 0

Unfortunately you will have to restart game after altering file , but at least it’s fast to load .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

Hello everyone.
    I am using DaneilKart file V50 2-5nm for a t300base.
    File feels great but just wondering how to get that vibrating rumble effect when i spin the tires by pressing on the throttle to hard or lock up the breaks.

On a side note. I have the logitech DD coming in a few days. That wheel tops out at 11nm. Really hyped for that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hello dmand! You will get a completely different feedback with your new Base 11Nm. The higher a base force becomes, the more feedback you will feel. But it is also becoming increasingly difficult to sort and reconcile these high forces. Anyway, I wish you a lot of fun with your new base

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ayrton2388

Thanks a lot, Kuku! Gonna give these a try as soon as i get the chance.

12. Rafael Trichez Ribeiro

Rafael Trichez Ribeiro New Member

which file is best for g27

13. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Had some catch up to do, just tried @Danielkart 's v46 and it feels great as always. Going to give v50 a go later on. Thanks for all your efforts!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Danielkart

Hei Ricxx! Nice to hear from you and that you are on the road again in AMS2. In Ttotw we are almost in the same place.;) I wish you a good time. Many greetings from Daniel

• Like Like x 1
  15. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just had a look, dani68 is you then, didn't realise ^^ Good job, the Corvette is awesome, one of my favourite cars in the game for sure!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I do miss some front suspension load feeling when turning (like in rF2), particularly at low speeds. At high speeds the downforce makes it perceptible but not that much at low speeds. It seems braking really improves that load feeling correctly but is almost non-existent without applying brakes.

May I ask @Kuku Maddog and @Danielkart how to provide more force when turning, in your respective files?
    Maybe a log curve can improve the existing formulas at low speed.

17. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

With my file and any other Original rfuktor file you could adjust the static load reduction down .

(static_force_reduction_timing 0.22) #Lower will make static force "low" force quicker, higher will make it slower to adjust to current force.
    (normal_static_force_reduction 0.05) #Range: 0.0 - 1.0. Always reduce the averaged force. This gives less constant/slow force on cornering or quick turning, and preserves the quick forces.
    (exp_static_force_reduction 0.15) #Range: 0.0 - 1.0. Under low df, reduce the highest end of averaged force only.
    (exp_static_force_reduction_hi_df 0.10) #Range: 0.0 - 1.0. Under high df, reduce the highest end of averaged force only.

small incremental reduction in value will make a difference .

do one at a time to feel the difference and work out which one has more effects at the lower end of force . even try reducing the timing initially.
    but reduction of normal exp_static_force might be the best place to start after that as that should effect lower load situations.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Danielkart

Hello Joaquim! Have a little patience my V60 is in the pipeline. It's all about the front axle and I can already say that it's going to be fantastic. With these new files, the lack of front feel will definitely be fixed and other big improvements as well. I know Rf2 well and know the advantages but also the weaknesses of this sim (especially with dds) I think the V60 will be posted at the weekend. I wish you a nice week

• Like Like x 7
  19. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

AMS2 has the potential to replicate rF2 in the things it is good at (not the other way around :)). Front wheel loading and mass/enertia transfers are what I want to replicate in AMS2.
    Right now, I can increase front end forces but not in a natural way, is too linear (our body and nature are not linear by default).
    Will wait patiently.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Don’t fully understand why feeling the front end is such a revolution, but proving me wrong just means a better FFB for me and others. Take your time @Danielkart and amaze us.

• Friendly Friendly x 1