Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

There are limits in a simulation. There are no G-forces, the only medium is the steering axis (wheel) to simulate it as best as possible. Or you have additional hardware (buttkicker, motion, VR) to get additional immersion. But even so, real G-forces will always be missing. It's also not about what the best sim is on the market. It always depends on the personal taste of the people and that's how it is with the FFB. My FFB isn't perfect, but I try to simulate it as best as possible, that's all

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I can feel what you describe, so the signal is there , it’s just a case of setting the equaliser right for your wheel base and taste.
    there is a range it has to work in depending on wheel base strengths and personal taste in steering weight.
    it may be a case of you needing to adjust the velocity scales to narrow the range .
    it could be a case of needing to increase master rack or perhaps you need more suspension scale .
    perhaps you require a amplified yaw scale.

there’s the right mix there somewhere .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

Such great news.....thanks so much for all your hard work here!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Sorry for what’s maybe a dumb question but where do I find the files ? And if you know what base settings on the Alpha Mini would you recommend with your file ? Many Thanks Chris

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The files are on page 306

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Thank you , Downloaded it and a very good improvement. Maybe need to tinker with the settings in Simpro manager.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I had an enforced break from sim racing for most of last year and when I was able to start up again this year I felt lost with where the ffb files were at, had become generally rusty and assumed much of the physics had changed. As a result I ended up using the default ffb until today.

I downloaded the file from @Danielkart for my 8nm CSL DD and was amazed at the difference. The Caterham Supersport came alive at Bathurst 83 and I loved the way the steering seemed to load up on Griffins Bend. I did feel I’d lost some information under braking so have also downloaded the file from @Kuku Maddog to play around with too.

Seems I’m going to have to learn what lines of code affect what feedback and dig into things. Down the rabbit hole we go.

…but a big thanks to all, the files are so different to defaults.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Cool, need to remember this post, I’ve ordered the CSL DD 8nm as well. So any FFB help is welcome.:D

9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I use the recommended v50 file from danielkart. Haven’t tried kuku’s

• Like Like x 1
  10. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I've been trying out Kuku's file and really like the feeling of the various forces but find for my taste the overall ffb is too low. I ended up running Gain at 85 and pushing LFB up to 45 on my CSL DD.

Is there a line of code that will boost the overall forces that I should look out for or do I need to just ramp up the in-game settings?

11. Kuku

85 gain isn’t outside the scope of what a lower powered DD might require, I use 65 on my Simagic Alpha, which has a little more power,
    But you could make small increases in Master scales ,
    Ie master_rack etc
    You could also increase centering_scale a little.

45 Lfb does seem high , I wouldn’t have thought you would need that. But if it works and doesn’t give any oscillations ( I don’t at 10 Lfb) then there’s nothing wrong with it. Every base has a different dynamic range.

fx has a lot of impact on loading too .

12. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Thank you, it’s good to know I’m not exceeding the range at that level. I’ll have a bit more of a play around with the LFB and FX before I look to make any changes in file.

I’ve also just run a 45 minute race at Bathurst 83 and the available information was superb. It may even be just a case of getting used to it as the MCR on default setup felt so much better than using the Default or Default+ and any in game tweaks.

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I find that no matter which version of Default or custom file, dialing in the steering response (for natural oversteer response) is mostly a matter of finding proper balance in ffb Damping setting (AMS2). In other words, if we take some time to try different levels of Damping, there is a point where the steering response makes sense. Different cars may still require slight adjustment to Damping setting.

14. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

The Damper setting is one that I'm probably most clueless about. However, I've had a good run today using Kuku's file and been very impressed so I'm going to stop fiddling and see what my thoughts are after racking up some hours with it. That'll give me some time to do some research on simple things...like what the Damper setting does:whistle::D

15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

For me, I use Damping as the primary means of Wheel Response Speed Control. Other settings may impact or offset Damping to some extent but, Damping has much to do with achieving proper control by informing us of what the car is doing and allowing us to react as needed.

Too little damping applied allows the steering to overshoot / overreact. In extreme cases, it may feel as though the car is control, not the driver. On the other hand, too much Damping applied slows steering response to the point where it feels like the steering is lagging behind, slow to respond to inputs, feeling like we have to force the steering wheel to respond.

When Damping is applied optimally, the steering is stable (no oscillation or overshoot), Self-Aligning Torque is easily manageable (we can catch slides effectively), we can judge grip-loss more effectively, we feel in tune with the car and the process is most natural. When it feels like the car is almost driving itself (relatively speaking), Damping level is about right. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain that so well Dean.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Sometimes where you least expected....
    Last night I tried to increase "steering sensitivity" to 100... just by that, the sterring reaction are more in line to what I like (I always struggle to turn in AMS2 vs rF2) and the FFB changed dramatically... no FFB changes, huge difference.
    The cars are more reactive, the front load (car turning) was much more in line to what I want.

There’s the right mix there somewhere... ;)

18. Kuku

Yes it makes a difference, I settled on 75 for my wheelbase, it may be in part a way to compensate for a relaxation in Lfb effect on the rack , I implemented as a solution to oscillation.

19. Joaquim Pereira

Aris (Kuno's head of physics) has a video explaining how to adjust damping.
    For him (and works for me too in all sims) the damping must be just high enough to allow (on a straigh line, hans off the wheel) for a small upset in driving wheel to have auto correction, not a loss of control (wheel going left-right in a runaway mode).

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Joaquim Pereira

Yes, I'll certainly drop it a bit and 75-85 should be about right.

BTW, right now, I'm using my own version of Thompson V1 file, mainly because is the only one (apart from Default+) that makes steering really light under full breaks lockups - that's what is felt in a real car when we suddenly completly loose turning ability.

I'll try your file and Daniel's in the same situations.