Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

the game look to work fine with 60 cars with a "simple" mod

This probably wont take that much resources from reiza to implement

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

It can already be enabled for single player, so it should be enabled for single player at least for people who want to do it. People will mod it to have 60 cars on tracks anyway, whether in your IMHO it is a priority or not.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Isnt the bigger limitation for the amount of cars in a track the pit size? I can only imagine the pits with 60 cars ghosting over the others, just a visual inconvenience, but still.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Jake (GPLaps) has pretty good equipment, I mean he can run the Targa Florio with traffic on AC, that takes something decently beefy. What's the point in having 60 cars on track when only the people who have a beefy PC can utilize that? Especially considering they're located in Brazil, I feel like accessibility on lower powered machines is one of the things the team focuses on. I mean hell I say it's on par with GT7 on the PS5 during races and yet my aging machine can run it with little issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Pandytim99

Some tracks shoulda allow it thought like Spa or Nurbugring

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pandytim99

If your machine can handle it why not allow it? like ACC does

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Lucifer_sam

Sure, it'll be great for people who have machines that can handle it, but what about the other folks out there? As someone who up until 2 years ago had to settle for a laptop that struggled with high car counts on GTR2, Rfactor, and even Nr2003 it sucks! It really does.

And you may be able to run those 60 car grids in AMS 2, but even though I have a decent PC now there is no way I'd be able to! And don't take this as me thinking all games should be able to run 60fps smoothly on my PC, but you know it's nice not having to worry whether or not my PC can even run a game that looks as good as AMS 2. It seriously runs better than Pcars 2 on my machine even during testing sessions where it's just me.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something to be optimized so the majority of players can actually utilize it. It's a big reason I'm such a defender of Reiza, because unlike most devs out there they seem to really care about optimizing their game. If they don't think it's ready, then I trust them that it isn't ready.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

My PC is struggling with just 16 cars. If I submit this poor beast to 60, Skynet herself would blow away my house as an act of vengeance.

• Funny Funny x 8
  9. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Very flawed logic. If someone's PC cannot handle higher graphical details and more cars on the track, then they would just use lower numbers of cars on tracks at reduced details. That has ALWAYS been the case with gaming .

It is future-proofing games when you add options for newer PCs that can handle demanding graphical options, otherwise why not make everything look like NFS Porsche with the argument "so that everyone can run it to the maximum?"

There can also be a graphical option implemented that flat-out reduces the number of cars rendered at all times - "Max Cars Rendered Ahead / Behind The Player". Options like this existed in the 90's and early 2000's but have been removed over time for no logical reason, also the lack of an option that would reduce the number of headlights rendered is infuriating.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't understand. Your machine can't run 60 cars? So you don't run 60 cars! Why should others be stuck with 32 or whatever it is now, because you machine can't handle 60?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Lucifer_sam

No, you're missing the larger point of my post as there are certain situations where AMS 2 does have severe frame drops (for instance Nurbergring GP in the rain during the first sector). The point is that AMS 2 should be as accessible as possible and that very obviously is something Reiza really cares about and that because they care about those things is probably why we don't have 60 cars. You and others may think it's dumb, but I like that way of thinking as it keeps the sim open to as many people as possible including myself.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really think the performance aspect is being overblown here. Just like now, people should be able to change the number of cars in the race.

I think it is much more likely that this many cars will break other things behind the scenes such as AI strategies in long race, AI pit logic with shared boxes etc. Doubling the number of AI has potential to bring in a lot of edge case bugs that just don't occur with fewer cars.

Also, imagine how dirty the track will be with 60AI bringing dirt on at every corner!

• Like Like x 1
  13. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Some PCs struggle with 32 cars or even 16. They should limit the number of AI to 5 cars (Gran Turismo 4 was a great title with that limit, so it is enough).

This is exactly the argument you are using. Nonsense. Enhancing the limit does not force individual users to set the upper limit.

About the pit size and online performance: they can set limits for online mode and track-wise. Not an issue.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Pandytim99

I understand your point and partially agree.
    But look i dont have a powerful PC either, I don't know if it can handle 60 cars specially on rain and night, and yes some optimization like a limited number of visible cars or headlights and maybe some LOD upgrades woulda been nice, but why should the ppl that can handle the extra cars be handicapped? My pc dont run Rfactor 2 well in some tracks with more than 30/40 cars, so i wish Studio 397 improved it? yes but im not gonna complain about those who can run with the 40+ cars, ill just run with what my machine can handle and wait/hope for improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The_Neo_One

The_Neo_One AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

The person who made the tutorial on reddit said on the Original thread and also commented on GPLaps video that even more modest PC specs are able to run the 60 cars with no major problems. Complete the first lap, let the cars accommodate themselves on the pack and you're good to go.

Reddit - Dive into anything

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Pandytim99

Just make it a per track basis, if the tack have enought pitlanes/garages it should allow more cars

17. Pandytim99

Thats very intersting, shame the mod for this is such a headache to do. But i might give it a try this weekend if theres no new update or something

18. Pandytim99

My man why not just do what ACC does? so whenever you go beyond 30 cars theres a warning so at least the ppl who dont have a pc to handle it be aware that maybe they should not go +30 cars?

19. Lucifer_sam

Yeah that's why I think it's something that should be changed. I'm not saying "make every game look like Indycar Racing 2" I'm saying that maybe it's not a bad thing Reiza is wanting to optimize their sim to a point where more people can use the features included in the game.

It's flawed to even say that is enough to prove that Reiza should do it because we all have only one data point (the GPlaps video) and the maker of the tutorial saying it "runs surprisingly well" on lower end machines which there is no further info on to my knowledge. That isn't enough to make a claim that Reiza should immediately jump on because one is a sim racing youtuber with what seems like a beefy PC and the other is the creator of the tutorial's comment. Reiza probably has more information on this, they've probably tested it and deemed to not be on their standard when it comes to optimization. It's not like the devs are twirling their evil mustache and saying "muhahaha now let's purposefully ignore larger grid-sizes!"

Finally, the cars disappearing still means the cars are there. The physics and AI pathing, in Nr2003 and Rfactor the physics were simple enough where the bottleneck is graphical power not CPU (proof of this is the fact is my laptop had a pretty decent CPU and still had issues with large car counts in older games). It wouldn't make as much of a dent as it used to, sure it may help but it probably wouldn't be as much as you think it would.

20. Pandytim99

In acc it helps and in rFactor 2 too, i was recently struggling getting like 20-40 fps stutter on rF2 on spa with 41 cars, then i Changed the amount of visible cars and other setting and it runs relatively ok now most of the time at 60fps

ACC same thing all though I do need to cap it to 45FPS to have a stable experience