Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Track racing is not a rally stage. Snow that does build up means a red flag. Rote Flagge am Nürburgring: Schnee stoppte Saisonstart - GrenzEcho

Same with fog, and I tend to question why there is never a red flag at >20m visibility. Some jokers like to use such settings in MP lobbies.

Rote Flagge bei 24h Nürburgring 2021! Dichter Nebel an der Nordschleife (motorsport-total.com)
    same with rain, there is a amount of rain at which a race has to be aborted... in games the AI and some aliens with strange monitor settings switch over to "night vision" and "radar" for IFR rules.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes yes yes!!! I would absolutely not complain about having more slower tintops. Been racing the vintage Mini at Mojave PC2 port (the tiny oval-ish layout) and it was serious good fun. Makes me kinda wish there were some proper short tracks in the game like Nashville Fairgrounds, South Boston, etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I hope some day we will have a "screen" or filter to eliminate unraceable conditions from the random weather generator. If you want to purposely pick those for fun or whatever, go ahead, but some of us prefer realism. If snow is ever introduced, that would be part of the filter. It is also why I would rank adding snow as one of the lowest possible priorities for the devs. Because we know if/when it is done, Reiza will want to do it properly, which will take a lot of time and research. SMS didn't even do rain properly (lovely graphics, but implausible physics).

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've actually got a video of a Formula 5000 race in the snow. Wild stuff

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

If they have subaru... absolutely YES.:cool:

6. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly I would be perfectly OK with just the appearance of snow and/or snow on the sides of the tracks as if the track had been plowed. Even in the events I've seen where snow was on the track they normally would plow the track and then heavily salt it before the race would start...

(At least in the period Reza covers)

7. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe, I'm not out for this weekend, so I don't know what the situation is with tire choice, but they ran testing in light rain just above freezing. I guess they would probably still run in it unless it turned to ice. Didn't F1 have issues with snow during practice sessions at the Nürburgring back in 2020?

For reference, our car is the second one in this clip. They're at Sonoma this week. GR Cup on Instagram: "Cars on track #GR86 #GRCup #OfficialGRCup #TGRNA"

I know Nitro RX and the whole Race of Champions (or something like that) have dedicated snow/ice rounds, but those cars are built more for slippery conditions.

• Like Like x 3
  8. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Spikes tires are used on ice and solid snow. THose tires cant be used on asphalt since all spikes would get lost in short durations. Thias was already a problem in Rally Sweden for years since parts of the stage had only thin snow over gravel and the spikes went ways fast.

9. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Dang, that drone footage is good.

Edit: Also, this makes me look forward to the Adrenaline Pack regardless of snow.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. DavidGossett

I understand that... What I was talking about was basically just light snow, no different than rain from a physics point. In case of seriously heavy snow, yes, tracks would red flag.

Does this mean having the ability in engine to have other conditions besides full dry tarmac and varying stages of dampness, no... Some of the most fun I had on Pcars2 was taking cars to tracks/conditions they definitely didn't belong in. For example: 60's Mustang on dirt, Evo's at Brands Hatch on street tires in a full blizzard, flinging Lambo's full lock sideways around a kart-track in the rain.

I'll admit, those features are probably not worth the effort for Reiza given nobody except the few insane players like myself would touch it. That said, it's fun to just go crazy with combinations and enjoy the driving experience. I want realism as much as the next person, but I enjoy the absurdity of F1 cars and rental karts being able to share the same track, V-maxing a 1400hp F1 car at Daytona, or trying to navigate Monaco in a Copa Truck.

Yes, and Nitro runs a bit of a jerry-rigged studded tire as well. It's the same for stage rally gravel tires, hence why proper rally cars seem to have more grip than RX cars on loose surfaces. Edit: I meant how they tear up tarmac sections. RX tires are closer to a slick than a full on rally tire because of potential track damage. I do know SnoDrift didn't allow studded tires for years, only allowing a "winterized tire." Rallye Monte Carlo tires on the other hand... manufacturers have worked some weird magic on those things.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

This is where the nail gets split nearly every other month... lol

Some people really want snow and the adrenaline pack, other people really want bug squashing and improvements to the road racing side first... Especially when you consider how much these red flag conditions ruin races against the AI... Adding extra levels of annoyance to a part of the sim which important to many of the current user base isn't a good idea... Really need to be able to remove certain types of weather before adding more problems...

Larger grids both online and offline are a huge part of that improvement process... An endurance race with 20 drivers over multiple classes doesn't really work... And some tracks are that limiting...

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I tend to agree with this reasoning. Snow would be awesome for sure, but since in real closed circuit racing we have much more racing with rain than snow, I believe there’s more gain for Reiza in focusing to perfect the physics in rainy conditions first. Graphically wise it’s really good, but the wet race lines are not simulated yet. So, for me this should be too priority. Dry lines should be almost undriveable in wet conditions (due to the rubber on track, etc), and ideally this needs to be implemented if we want to have realistic rain race conditions. I imagine this is a mega undertaking AI wise, so at lot of work to be done, but maybe if Reiza try to do implement this at some circuits (a bit like they are doing with advanced damage modelling), and start with circuits where tends to have a lot of rain, like Nurburgring Spa and Silverstone , this will sure add much more depth at least for me than Reiza focusing on implement snow.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

100% something that isnt right in the simulation yet. Lets see what iracing does in this regard.

14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

iRacing is already like driving in rain or on ice so can't be any worse than it already is.

• Funny Funny x 7
  15. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I fully agree on the following....
    Certain weather conditions should be eliminated ex. heavy rain, storm, heavy fog.
    The only ones that should be left are light rain, haze and light fog.

Being Canadian....I hope snow makes it into the adrenaline pack but is only used for dirt tracks, and ice tracks.

Yes, the amount of bugs and general improvements need to be addressed asap.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As some one who only plays iRacing and AMS2....I actually find alot of the cars in iRacing are more stable and have better grip than the same ones in AMS2...ex. 2022 stock car, 720 GT4 and Vee.

I find AMS2 has much more straight-line bumps and vibrations....but lacks, suspension feel, braking feel, front end turn in feel and lateral tire grip on my setup compared to iRacing.

There is also a point mid corner that the car just feels disconnected from the track due to the lack of front end feel + over turning the wheel... which one of the devs said they were working on improving in the current beta....so hopefully that makes it into a coming update.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy certain driving aspects of AMS2 but I actually find iRacing much easier to jump in and drive.
    A few yrs backs... iRacing was hands down the hardest title to jump back into after time off and was true to the name ice racing. I can't agree with that term being used now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

But they did just write a dev update about moving to a finite element tyre model (just like ams2 seta model), and how they have the man who created the rF2 tyre model (Terence Groening) so the iracing driving experience could well change for the better.

iRacing Development Update- February 3, 2023 - iRacing.com

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DavidGossett

While I agree most cars in iRacing seem to have more grip (sometimes too much in the case of the old "grip roll" that the GR Cup and RX Lites were prone to), I don't find them better to drive. Grip levels aren't as important to me as how drivable they are on the limit. The Vee and 1600 (Formula Trainer) in iRacing felt like they had aero, as much so as one of my favorite AC RSS Formula 4 mods on the same track. While AMS2's versions of the non-aero formulas are probably too far on the "rewarding slip" end of the spectrum, any oversteer at all in iRacing feels like a death sentence.

Imho, I feel the opposite of what you described on my setup. iRacing doesn't give me the same detail on what the front of the car is doing, especially in oversteer moments. Part of this comes down to FFB philosophy (iRacing lower refresh rate and refusal to add g-force effects), but I feel most of it comes down to the tire model. Tires in iRacing seem to take longer to return from overdriving IMHO. I don't feel the same sense of "rotation" in iRacing that you get in most other sims.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JULIO CESAR ALVES SARAIVA

JULIO CESAR ALVES SARAIVA New Member

20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

iracing GT3s are several seconds faster than AMS2 GT3s at Nurburgring GP (chicane) and AMS2 gets hit continuously for cars being too fast compared to IRL. They have far more grip and speed around corners the problem is the balance: the front grip isn't there as soon as you brake. That is why most of the cars in iracing run on totally ridiculous brake bias.

• Like Like x 2