Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

That's a big sign that simracing is still 0's and 1's, and that everyone wants to abuse it, even the pro's.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont know if abuse is the correct word.
    But it would certainly be possible to reconstruct the setup used if you got the full telemetry output.
    Wings could be derived from topspeed and RiHi directly from the telemetry.
    Dampers and springs would be a bit harder - but possible.
    But if you was really eager then I guess most of the params in a setup could be derived from the telemetry output.
    But my own personal oppinion about this thing is that these extremely skilled drivers and setup makers were probably so accustomed to drive their own custom setups that they would loose speed and control by trying to adapt to others.

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Would this be possible with AMS2?

4. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I remember this! You posted an exact percentage of grip loss for the Lotus 79, and as it was off the laptime percentage difference, nobody understood where the number was coming from :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

AMS2 does not have (yet) telemetry output ready to be read on Motec, as a plugin is required to be developed (like DAP for rFactor 1 or Mu for iRacing). But it outputs more data from inner physics than what iRacing does. An example: for knowing the downforce a car is generating on iRacing, you need to run straightline tests on a smooth track and have some equations calculate it inside Motec to gather results. On AMS2, the downforce is directly outputted as a value in a chart, easy to read with an app like Second Monitor. Other things like engine power and torque are also directly outputted, so you easily get engine curves by just driving and recording. Those things are not available on iRacing, which is why crafted setups and developed tools like the one Bruno did were very sought after.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Racinglegend1234

GitHub - GeekyDeaks/sim-to-motec: Simple scripts to convert sim telemetry to MoTeC i2 log files

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Racinglegend1234

I will try it tomorrow, but is there somewhere which says what AMS2 outputs as telemetry?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup, nothing is ever 1:1 accurate, and small changes can change what driving styles are effective.

I'm curious how different the sims racing teams/series compare to consumer grade stuff. I'm sure stuff like RfPro have their quirks/issues, but I'm curious how much consumer stuff has closed the gap.

A bit of a shame to see such a detailed version of Nashville knowing that track model will probably never be released.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BrunoB

Hehe I have discussed this somewhere in this forum (or Raceroom or Racedep?) where some stubborn former members was eager to (try to) correct me by saying that I was not the only one who did discover this grip change BEFORE iRacing admitted it.
    Because a few members they said could actually feel that something had been changed.
    These sensible persons was coincidently themselves :whistle:.
    Do I have to explain that we didnt get a common agreement of the correct history?
    Hehe my closing argument was that objective calculation was better than subjective feeling.:p

11. BrunoB

I have been following this and it would be pretty fantastic if it does work.
    But compared to the rather automagic MoteC plugins to iRacing, rF2 and old GTR2 I think this does look too complicated.
    Im afraid to spoil something in my AMS2 install ;)
    But will be looking forward to a more finished product :)

12. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

About setups i thing that mechanic (assisted setups) from pcars 2 is a very intersting concept as well as being something relistic as a lot of driver just give a feedback to his engineer and the engineer make the setup according to the feedback

However with that said, i did no tried tha pc2 feature all that much, so i dont know if its broken or not (like a lot of stuff from that game) but if it worked and if its easy to implement on AMS 2 it woulda been nice specially for ppl who dont know much about setups

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. DavidGossett

Speaking of, the AI tools Ian Bell and some of the former SMS team had shown looks really impressive. I wonder how long until something like this is standard. Imagine that sort of integration into Crew Chief.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BrunoB

You are right that theoretically it sounds obvious - and in a way similiar to how the feedback is given from driver to engineer in RL.
    But thinking about how hard it is for the engineers in RL to transfer a drivers often vague feedback to useable changes in the car then...
    Yes then at least I havent seen such a more or less mechanical direct IF THIS THEN THAT can work.
    As I have seen this implemented then you just if you as example "say" the car is too understeery - then you just get some choices where you more or less have to decide yourself which of the choices is best.

ByTheWay: Eventhough Im very sceptical conserning the until now rather lame answers from the chatGPT then some time in the near future this could (maybe) be working as an "engineer".:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  15. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Regarding a potential Race Engineer feature, the initial confusion and unintended consequences bourne of experiential trial and error might be a bit more realistic than some simracers may actually want--but definitely something many could benefit from. In the beginning, the Race Engineer would merely need to repeat the following: "Can you please give me a run of consistent laptimes, driver? It's getting dark...." After an initial run, the Engineer could change a setting and have the driver report the difference in handling after a new set of laps. Developing a useful, productive driver/race engineer relationship would make a fantastic basis for a career mode, however.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

AI has all the potential to get it right, but it needs proper integration inside the sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. DavidGossett

Yeah, current AI is fairly susceptible to "hallucination," which is made even more difficult by something as subjective as car feel. That said, I could see this becoming a standard feature. PC2's race engineer made changes in such small increments that it wasn't really useful, but an AI with access to in game data has huge potential.

What impressed me even more was the commentary demo. AI broadcasters and improved streaming tools would be great for small leagues and a career mode.

I'd love to see AI tools choosing camera direction in replays as well. One of my pet peeves in eSports broadcasts is how unnaturally the camera will snap from car to car. Some of this could be done more traditionally, but an AI director that could mix commentating with camera choice would be amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is equal parts incredible and terrifying! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

look in \steamapps\common\Automobilista 2\Support\SharedMemory\

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

sorry for going off topic but i recently had a crazy idea

woulda it been possible to make a pedal with electromagnetic rails to provide custom load as well as FFB?

• Winner Winner x 1