Automobilista 2 V1.4.7.1 & Nürburgring Historic Officially Released - Now Updated to v1.4.7.2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The only thing we are now waiting for this month is the dev update

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Quite a few of us here have raced every sim released since the 1980s; every single sim required its own, unique array of accommodations on our part in response to imperfect AI behavior, iRacing included. Transforming what was PCARS2 AI into improved AMS2 AI will most likely just generate a fresh series of trade-offs rather than an amazing emergence of AI racecraft. Overall, AMS2 AI should be an improvement on its predecessor, but some things that were better in PCARS2 will inevitably be sacrificed to realize those gains.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

4. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I was trying to replicate it again, it happens in more specific conditions, multiclass with practice and quali sessions and only in nuburgring 71 for now, tried Road America too randomly and it's ok there, single class with the Opala 86 in nuburg is fine. Certainly it's not something with your livery pack.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Which means AI is naturally limited to a (imho, very low) ceiling. Hence why I think it is such a wasted potential that AMS2 has a very poor MP.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 AI is definitely better than PC2, I had a great race at Monaco with the F-vintage in a dry-wet-dry race and had a blast finishing second to Denny Hulme, after Jim Clark retired on the last lap from second.

Only in old sims like GP4 and GPL, I have experienced such dynamic and eventful races( not counting console games like the old EA F1 games which had great races with retirements and AI mistakes as well). Thats why I enjoy this game so much, it's just a little frustrating knowing that something that might seem "simple" ( I know it's not) like having the AI to commit to outbraking each other or simply overtake and not stay in packs, is a problem. Even more so when the "predecessor" in a sense did not have those issues.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 9
  7. MrX

MrX Active Member

I actually drink a little too much wine today. because here in the Netherlands it is a national holiday. Hope some bumps have come in. Nice man too @ Ilka that man they is responsible for this track

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

so the historic track doesnt show up in my tracklist?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the art of active listening:

"So, @sgsfabiano, you're frustrated with pretty much everything about AMS2, am I right?";)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Absolute legends one and all Reiza, can't wait to try this out in all its glory. Looks sensational with the seasonal variation and some more crowds.

(insert default request for more 70s cars)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Just a minor thing which doesnt take anything away of your pointing out.
    But to the best of my knowledge iRacing has never officially said that their AI is neural network based.
    Its something people and fans of iRacing have concluded because this AI does work so good.
    But checking out some specific NN based AIs like Anna and Sophy its obvious that it will take a long time to get it to work even as good as the AI in iRacing.
    So until iRacing officially does "admit" their AI is NN based I only consider it as rumour. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see something "in the coming days"....

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

:hurrayreiza:
    WOW!!!
    GREAT GREAT GREAT release Reiza!
    A milestone for every sim around.
    Loved landscape around, folks with barbecue, roulottes : an immersive atmosphere.
    You really feel like you're there

Good job!
    Many thx!

• Like Like x 5
  14. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From what I remember from PC2 WMD days, the main reason for the AI having different physics was that the calculations for the seta tyre model running at 600hz took one whole core of a quad core processor, so to have the AI on the same physics would have been beyond the power of most systems at the time (especially consoles). The AI used the brush tyre model from PC1 with a simpler contact patch and less flex/heating etc. The other cores are then used for the rest of the rendering of objects and environments, live track and such.
    Might not be ideal, but thinking long term it means that a PS5/Xbox version of AMS2 would be well within what's possible, but I'm probably thinking too far ahead on that one for now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the info! Yeah it's probably not NN based because I'm 99% sure they would've used it as a marketing tool if it was and that's not a knock on them, I would to. I guess that's what I get for blindly believing people on the internet!

• Like Like x 2
  16. MrX

MrX Active Member

my 71 Nurburgring also does not appear in the game..unsubscribed me from beta. Do I have to go back to beta?

17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

You are not alone - believing this ;)
    And I guess the reason iRacing have not denied it is probably because it gives them good positive publicity - for free :p
    Beside the NN thing I have seen it mentioned that the reason their AI reacts so good is because the lines the AI cars does choose is some kind of AVG of the lines human iRacing drivers choose on the same spot on tracks.
    And maybe also in similiar trafic situations.

I havent decided if I believe this explanation myself.
    But my gut feeling say no:p

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I've always thought this was a game-design mistake. Given the performance goals and availability of user's computers, they should have simplified the player's tire, and have the AI's tires match it, than run a dumbed-down AI tire and then have to "counter-program" the AI to make up for the difference in performance.

They should have just waited for a future generation to keep upping the fidelity in the player's tire model while the ability to have the AI match it catches up.

19. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

Yeah I think it's simply the millions of laps of data they have from human drivers. I don't know how they turn into AI from that though, haha.

20. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

I consistently find the AI here to be the most exciting to race with in short races, which you could take as good or bad. I find it good :D