Automobilista 2 V1.4.7.1 & Nürburgring Historic Officially Released - Now Updated to v1.4.7.2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing: When you say "flat" you don't mean elevation, but you mean smooth, as in the opposite of bumpy?

It would be great if we could gather as much info as possible about where the track has been smoothed between 1971 and 2020, and what kind of differences. To me, the surfaces of these two versions in AMS2 feel almost identical, except the changes at Breidscheid, Galgenkopf and Döttinger Höhe.

Here's some of the places that I remember reading/hearing/learning through various sources up through the years that they've been smoothed out:
    1. The bridge between Hocheichen and Flugplatz should have more pronounced bumps onto and off the bridge. Not as dramatic as in the 1960s, but bumpier than in the 2020 version.
    2. The jump before Flugplatz (Fixed after the Nissan GTR flip, but does the 2020 version in AMS2 have this at all? The rF2 version is much smoother here, while AMS2 feels closer to the other sims that are based on earlier point cloud data)
    3. The sharpness of the crest/jump before Schwedenkreuz, and the small but dangerous bump before the kink at Schwedenkreuz.
    4. The apex of the left-hander into Pif-Paf used to make cars with low ride height bottom-out but was smoothed at some point between 2005 and 2020
    5. The quasi-straight at Kesselchen was a lot more bumpy, especially right after the last of the many left-hand kinks after Bergwerk
    6. Missing the legendary corner exit bump/dip at Brünnchen 2 which has made countless cars spin on corner exit and end up on YouTube. I'm not sure if it was there in 1971, but it was there in the 1980s up until the 2010s when it was smoothed out completely.
    7. And, as you mentioned: the bumps before the jump at Pflanzgarten.
    I think the following onboard video taken during practice in the 1983 1000km race is some of the best reference material. Some of these bumps and uneven surfaces can be down to tarmac degredation from 1971 to 1983, but others are so much smoother today that they cannot be overlooked.

Also, "the vibrations on the circuit and the bumps are absolutely astonishing, you can hardly hold the car at all":

Reiza mentioned in one of the development updates that the 2020 version in AMS2 would see another pass (possibly the smoothing of Flugplatz?) so that would also be an opportunity to address some of the deviations in the 1971 version that I listed above.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. MrX

MrX Active Member

you said it right! When I started simracing in the 90's with Grandprix Legends...you absolutely had to set up a setup to even drive at the Nürburgring...well I know you had to do that on every track but especially Nürburgring it was very tricky to ride. I will watch your videos thanks for that very interesting

3. MrX

MrX Active Member

I would like to do a fresh install on my Ams 2..

How can I keep my graphics.. wheel settings? Can I copy this from documents and paste it back in again without too much hassle?

4. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Open the folder, in \Documents\Automobilista 2\savegame\xxxxxxxx\automobilista 2 there is a folder called profiles. There, the settings are stored.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MrX

MrX Active Member

yes I had seen that so if I make a copy of my settings I don't have to calibrate everything again?

6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I think so, but you better give it a try before.
    Before uninstalling AMS 2, remove the folder from documents. Start the game and have a look if your settings are all gone. Exit and copy the folder back. Now, your settings should be in game again if I am not wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

This bug has been fixed with new version 1.4.7.1 :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Apart from not taking the vanilla GPL Nordschleife as a benchmark for track accuracy, they simulated the 1967 version. There was work done on the track between 1970 and 1971, so even if the GPL version was very accurate, it's not the same as in AMS2.

9. MrX

MrX Active Member

that's right but even the Gpl version was inaccurate in some places of the track. This 71 version just lacks bumps and jumps, in my opinion it's just too flat. Although I do enjoy everything else that has been done well, Hope Ilka can do something about this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. MrX

MrX Active Member

71regazzoni1.jpg Dv5Ik3EXQAASn_q.jpg 12.jpg Niki-Lauda-Nurburgring-1976.jpg stuck-ickx.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

It is probably hard to laser scan a destroyed circuit :p

12. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

True, but what is possible is adding bumps manually.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This should be sorted already.

• Like Like x 3
  14. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Not into AMS2 details, but for instance in AC, circuits have AI lines. Lines can be overridden for particular cars to fit better, but otherwise, the default line is used.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bart Hendrikx

Bart Hendrikx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Love that Tyrrell

16. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

When anyone wants a break from the past, keep in mind that this May the Stock Car Pro Series returns to Tarumã for the first time since 2017. Tarumã serves as the perfect location to introduce 2023 Brazilian stock car racing to those more accustomed to NASCAR … it’s reminiscent of the old kidney-shaped track in Trenton, New Jersey. Tire* management wins the day.

* Tire as in one tire: the right front one!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the hedges on the "Südschleife" are made of iron. No chance to throw my car into the forrest. ;):rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

LOL. I about broke my arm in the 74 RSR trying that. It's noticeably more forgiving in V1.4.7.1.

19. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

I tried a multi class practice at the Sudchleife, with F1 Classics, F1 Vintages, and Formula Inters. It was chaotic fun but after about half an hour the narrow hedge section was covered with broken car parts :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I’m noticing each time I change my wheel (DD1 base) I’m losing control assignments. Is this a new issue? I’ve not experienced prior.

Maybe I’ll just stick to the medium round since all I’m driving these days are 70s vehicles. ;)