Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

In order to help this thread get back on track, let's abuse you being on these forums currently and try to get answers on a couple of questions of the upcoming physics revisions :D

Can you answer whether these also will affect the ability to slide (especially) historic cars around corners? Right now, with most of these, you can enter a continuous drift around the corner and countersteer them around. I know that to a point, drivers always want to kick the rear out, but the way it is currently it feels too much on the generous side, and when you wrote that there would be less forgiveness beyond peak slip angles, I hoped this would be "dialed in" a bit as well.

Also, I have noticed a tendency for excessive turning angles (turning into quick corners with 180 degrees wheel rotation or even more) being beneficial in some cars, or at least not punished. Is this something that will be adressed with the more direct steering?

For reference, I tried the F-Inter yesterday, where steering like this absolutely doesn't work - you just heat up front tires and collect understeer - but then again this is a formula car with lots of downforce and might not be a good predictor for something like the M1 Procar.

Are these things you can answer or is this currently not predictable?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Burl

Burl Member

You are fundamentally misunderstanding what he is saying. His point is not that an opinion itself is misinformation, but the opinion is BASED on misinformation, and voicing that opinion, is inadvertently spreading misinformation. The things he's talking about aren't someone's opinion, they're fundamentally, factually wrong, and shared under the guise of being an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Everything has been pointed out, time to end the metadiscussions. Thank you!

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As a palette cleanser for recent discussion...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

Thanks for the reply, Renato.

So, onto another subject, could we expect some UI fixes in the next updates? There's some pesky bugs that have been for months in the sim, particularly the Quick Setup menu being crammed down instead of properly spaced out in the window size.

Also, the control navigation on the multi-class selection grid doesn't work as intended (I can move sideways, but not up and down).

There mighty be some other stuff that I don't remember (mostly regards to the Custom Championship mode not working properly with gamepads).

6. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Gear ratio arrows don't always work on the first click, but the sound plays, so if you are not paying full attention to the number you will think you changed the ratio, but you didn't.

The lack of a plot/graphic and/or the rF2 style of -1/+1 is quite a bit annoying. Smaller issue, like many many other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mijosentado

mijosentado New Member

just need me zolder, zandvoort and portimao and ill never ask you for nothing more. oh and more gt3 and dtm cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So to keep things going in the right direction I've been thinking.

With the "carcass behaving "confused" and inconsistently" I'm wondering if that is the reason why the AI have better turn in on corner entry, better lateral grip mid corner and better tracktion out of corners compaired to the player's tires which can get confused.

I say this because I've raced against the AI in AMS2 a whole lot and I see this all the time. With the AI's tires using the pMotor tire model and not the STM they don't get confused.

Again I'm only wondering.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe try the Formula Inter and see

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. samrussell_98

samrussell_98 If in doubt, go flat out AMS2 Club Member

Can you show us a blue and yellow curb in a corner named after a famous German car manufacturer from Stuttgart please? That will help distract people? ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Or a corner in France named after a certain tyre manufacturer

12. gmetzo

gmetzo New Member

I've always considered Barcelona a great track for racing. Most people I know of dislike it but I think it's a skill issue.
    I was pleasantly caught off guard by the retro rookie formula. I expect I shall be driving it for quite some time!
    Already was a fan of the Sigma P2 prototype so I am incredibly excited to hop into the cockpit of its P1 sister.
    Although I think AMS2 has reached a point in which it is very drivable as well as very enjoyable , I am happy to see the dev team always pushing the accuracy of the simulation to the next level , especially the tires. Because if you think about it , the tires ARE the simulation.
    Thank you :hurrayreiza:
    Wish you the best , and we'll be here to support you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it possible that for the May update we will get specific details regarding any MP enhancements, even if they aren't coming until June? I know that one or 2 sentences in the update caught a lot of eyes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

The layout was changed in 1999 and the first race the FIA GT Championship had here was in 2000 on the new layout (not with the cars we have in AMS2 however), so things aren't too conclusive for one or the other layout here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

P.s. PLEASE FIX THE F REIZA TIRES. :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

the BMW 2002 would be impossible to drive if it wasnt for the "generous" counter steering, that thing went more sideways around the Ring then i hoped

17. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

A few months back it was said "No ETA" for a fix on this pit strategy bug (that fix being the removal of the "Recommended" tire change option), but i would hope that by the time the next big update rolls around this can be finally addressed. For people who were not here 3 months ago when i made this video, here it is again just in case.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Fair enough; by the way, your channel's most recent AMS2 videos were posted on March 11, and January 11....

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

So you mean we can look forward to another one in 10 days on May 11th? That is fantastic news :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

In terms of physics, quite a bit - as per the previous post in our convo, aero, suspension and chassis physics largely overlap with AMS1 physics, and the code similarity in those areas makes it easier to port physics code we developed for them from AMS1 over to AMS2; at the same time the fact that those models are largely shared mean we could pretty much copy & paste values from those physics components from AMS1 to AMS2 for the cars that are in both sims, but (and it´s a big but) if the tires are behaving differently to how they did in AMS1 in terms of carcass flex and load sensitivity, the same aero and suspension won´t behave the same way. For example, in a F1 car if the front tire carcass is compressing even 2cm more in one physics vs the other, the front wing is also running that much lower, the overall center of pressure is moved forward, the diffuser is closer to stalling, the suspension roll centre is messed up, and that well rounded up physics you had is no longer so well rounded. I believe the changes in V1.5 will cover the last bit of unwanted discrepancies in carcass behavior, so that 1:1 in parametrization should also feel a lot more 1:1 in the actual driving (give or take differences in how the rest of the car has been modelled).

Elsewhere in the game, there is less overlap - AI has some bits that are similar but also a lot of differences, graphics engine completely different, audio engine completely different, multiplayer completely different.

I didn´t mention it in the Dev Update not to get it overly cluttered, but you´ll notice adjusted tire treads of TC Vintages and GT Classics is in the v1.4.7 changelog - we sorta fast-tracked a few changes there because we expected those cars to be in high rotation with Nurb71 release, and wanted them in slightly better shape than they were. As things stand, their peak slip angles are still generally a bit too high hence their tendency to drift around a bit; this was reduced in v1.4.7 but it will indeed go further once the carcass work is also done ot them. They will still be wider and more drify than a modern slick of course, but generally speaking we agree all tires need some sharpening up to one degree or another, and the V1.5 revisions move things in that direction.

• Informative Informative x 29
    • Like Like x 16
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1