Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Yeah, I'm really hoping the issue with cars having way too much front grip is fixed, especially given the comments that hopefully imply it'll be fixed or at least improved:

2. Sberla84

Sberla84 MotorSimItaly

To me it feels like you can reach a crazy amount of slip angle too quickly and back like a swing, like there is no mass or tire friction. Probably it depends als on the front end grip that is way too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

So yup, there will be AI improvements as well, but V1.5 developments are topics for the June Dev Update. We only included the V1.5 physics preamble in this dev update because it impacts several cars already for next game update in late May.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 16
    • Like Like x 11
  4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Why will only certain Formula cars get the v1.5 update in may?

5. Renato Simioni

With wider lateral peak slip angles the tires basically have to be at an overly high angle relative to the surface in order to provide their peak force - so cranking in more steering and getting the rear slightly sideways ends up being more effective than it should be.

BTW I believe we´ve never denied this was an issue with AMS2 that we needed to improve on, it´s just that we needed to understand what the source of it was first and what was the right way to address it - not least because you can´t just input what the peak slip angles and slip curves should be as we could in AMS1 Pacejka tire model, in AMS2 they´re the result of whatever the output of the physical modelling of the tire carcass and tread is.

With GSC / AMS1 at first we had the opposite problem - the traditional pMotor Pacejka tires were often way too snappy, too hard to enter and even harder to sustain a drift, so we gradually crafted the slip curves and peak slip angles in our tires until they provided a more analogue sense for the tire´s adhesion than what was usually found in sims or mods using that physics engine. Point here being, with neither AMS1 or AMS2 we´ve had these initial flaws by our intended design, they are both problems we had to gradually chip away at until they were closer to being right.

The point I´ve often made about tires in AMS2 as they have been up to now is that even though they may generally be more forgiving than other sims (and indeed easier than it should be in reality as there is effectively a larger window in which adhesion is close to peak) I don´t think that is necessarily less realistic than a sim where slip angles are so tight and slip curve dropoff so aggressive the tires effectively give out instantly past peak - for all we know they may be equidistant from what they really should be, and thus effectively as realistic as each other - what one prefers over the other is purely a refflection of taste.

• Informative Informative x 25
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

With all this talk of tyres I can't wait for the modding documentation... I had a fair bit of fun modding rF2 tyres and can't wait to see what 1.5 brings us on track...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Renato Simioni

A few reasons for that lot to be first in line - these cars are some of the most aerodymically complex physics and thus the most affected by tire flex, they can benefit from a bigger development window relative to say a vintage touring car; many of which have already received the other physics updates that are part of the overall revision; they are pertinent to the content that has been recently released, or that will be released in the next update.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

That sounds reasonable. I already love the F-ultimate gen 2 and seeing it become even better is nice

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Great to hear about the goodies we are getting in near future.

I really want to hear about the multiplayer improvements a lot more, what can be be expect in near future, but what is on the roadmap as well (that is likely to happen). Things like is it even possible to get away from the p2p architecture, and if not, what are the things that could be done improve it in such way that somebody with high ping would not affect all others like it somestimes seem to be the case. Will it ever get to a point where something like LFM could happen? There has been a lot of speculation what are the hard limitation of the engine to this and what would be realistic expectations, so it would be really interesting to hear about these things a lot more.

ps. I have worked with software that has been being development for almost 20 years now, so I know very well that it's not that easy or realistic to go a refactor things on the bottom in reasonable timeframe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Seriously ? How poor are your standards if you EXPECT things to be breaking and get worse after an update instead of being constantly improved ?? I will never tolerate the idea of an update breaking things more than what the state of software was before update, fudge that mentality.
    We Don't Expect Software To Work Anymore – kópia.jpg

Also the problem i see with the AI is they don't defend their position when you are attacking a gap, they will always stick to their pre-made line on corner entry and it makes it all the easier to exploit. F1 games have AI where they switch lanes if they see you approaching in order to make a pass and even defend the inside lane, yet i have not seen any other racing game AI do that.

11. lianjieyiqie

lianjieyiqie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like to ask about the localization of other languages.Will there be any progress in the short term:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sberla84

Sberla84 MotorSimItaly

Such posts are absolute GOLD. I love technicalities

• Agree Agree x 13
  13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont agree with this - but its maybe because I only drive the formula cars with wings.
    Because here you can feel it instantly if you have too much front wing and therefore to much front grip.
    With a good balance between F/R wing the grip behaviour you describe dont exist.:)

ByTheWay: Maybe its a problem with tintops and openwheelers with no aero. Dunno;)

14. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Does that physics update in any way affect rolling resistance?
    In this thread Automobilista 2 V1.4.5.2 & New DLC Packs RELEASED! we had a discussion about the lack of top speed compared to the real values, the ideas were possibly too much rolling resistance or the LDF packages not reducing drag enough.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've never really liked Circuit de Barcelona... Probably because I'm crap there :D
    Now I'll have a chance to practice and hopefully be less s**t.

Thank you Reiza, as always epic dev update. Cannot wait!

PS. It's really amazing how far AMS2 has come. Your dedication is unrivaled

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Reading through these posts
    & purchasing AMS2 on the strength of Reiza being the dev team , is a gamble that is starting to pay off

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agree 100% on this, I have played a lot of sims since 15+ years and have to say AMS2 is simply the one that has given me the most joy since GP4 and GTR2. I have never driven a racing car in my life, the fastest car I have driven was a 2011, 300hp Nissan Maxima I had, front wheel drive with a CVT ( loved the car).

My point being that last line you wrote, most sims are quite similar in the sense that they strive for realism, each with their own strenghts and weaknesess but ultimately, each user will like one more than the other based on their own tastes, because most of us havent really driven these cars in real life!

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

I have been following these technical updates with great interest.

Regarding the tires beyond the limit, i do agree that slip angles are probably one of the culprits in this but i would like to maybe make some observations, based on my AMS1 findings.

Indeed the front ones look like they allow quite a bit of angle, and still are able to guide the front into a corner, but i reckon that this might also be a matter of load sensitivity and temperatures being too forgiving, together with the rear tires being too grippy.

In terms of the "drifts" i believe the "slidyness" in general should still be there, specially in old cars, what should be much more pronounced is the scrubbing, making the car lose speed when this happens, or at least not gain so much, and again, heating up the rear tires. If the scrub is more pronounced, even when the car passes the peak slip angle, what will happen is that the car will be progressively scrubbing speed and thus it will increase the window of "recoverability" without doing the famous simracing "instaspin", but also not allowing these extreme angles to be exploited to gain speed. Of course at some point if this is too severe, the car SHOULD spin, and not just keep going lateraly as it happens now.

Just 2 cents, :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think there is so much excessive front end grip. IMHO the problem is the polar opposite.
    It is more that you can push the rear out without any real penalty on cars that do not have a lot of front grip so you are better off having the car rotate around its axis by drifting it than by driving it. When the front grip is abundant this driving style already pays far less, or anyway there is less need for it.
    If you lose the rear grip you should also lose capability to accelerate: the problem here is you can keep progressing even though you rear is so sideways without losing forward motion.

20. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What about sound side? There is some improvement to achieve better and detailed sound?

• Agree Agree x 5