Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

For hotlapping clutchless rev-matching on downshifts with H-Shifter in a historic car is fastest if the car allows for it and the drivers timing is good. There are many cars that don't even require Heel&Toe all the time if you execute downshifts correctly with throttle blips. For upshifts also full manual is advantageous contrary to what many think.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Well for sure it’s debatable, I believe I understand what you’re saying. But Using the BMW M1 video as an example, it didn’t look to me that he would be able to have the same agility in changing gears with a h shifter than was posted in the video, also turning with same precision with 1 hand only in mid shifts rather than with 2 hands on the wheel. Senna always said one of his strengths of being left handed was having more firmness on holding steering wheel with left hand during manual shifting on his early career.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

That's exactly the impression I got, thank you for clarifying that, hopefully it can be put to bed now.

4. CrimsonEminence

It's no rocket science really. Time your throttle blips right on downshifts and use the clutch with some feel on upshifts, even on powershifts (don't recommend full flat throttle tho) and you can drive the M1 with nearly seamless shifts. Maybe requires a bit of practice but then you have an advantage with manual transmission inputs. It's just the nature of things. The driving aids aim provide a safe execution of the shift so things don't break but this means they aren't "optimized" for hotlaps but racing. You can actually be more "clicky" with manual shifts.

For longer races i'd always recommend to play it more safe and use the clutch and no powershifting, but for hotlaps there is a good chance that you run better speeds and shorter braking zones when executing shifts manually and focussed on faster methods that might risk to tank material a bit more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

However, there is a way to shift faster with H-shifting in a way that would not be possible in real life by keeping the gas pedal depressed while shifting. It would be nice if this shifting technique is somehow made impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

Since when is powershifting not possible in real life? Can you do it completely clutchless? If you have examples, please file a bug report, it will be investigated.

(Powershifting can degrade materials in AMS2 more quickly, like it is the case in real life, especially engine, clutch and even gearbox)

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

And here I am changing gears like a peasant, I dont even understand how you guys change gears anymore :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

20230502_195231.png

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A full grid of diverse prototypes after years of just Toyota...

NiOPyn6a7tV3q.gif

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

On the H-pattern discussion, I don't find myself to be any slower compared to using sequential until you get into the 90's F1 cars. Even then, you can clutch-less shift and match revs if you prefer left-foot braking for quali/hotlaps. The nice thing about H-pattern is you can skip gears on downshifts.

Edit: Also auto clutch can remove the ability to be more precise with some cars. The ARC Camaro is an excellent example. It's a sequential that needs blips on downshifts, and sometimes intentionally shift-locking a downshift can get the car turned given the locked rear axle.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

That reminds me this anecdote from Vic Elford:

"Despite the advantages of “straight cut,“ nonsynchromesh gears for racing, Porsche, having invented it, always used synchromesh gearboxes in all its racing cars. In the case of the 917, especially the turbo versions, the gearboxes were of massive construction in order to cope with the power and torque of the engines. I, along with many of the other factory drivers, pleaded constantly with the engineers to give us non-synchromesh transmissions so we could change gears faster and lower our lap times, but such was the integrity of people like [Ferdinand] Piech that they steadfastly refused. Their argument was that racing both developed and showcased the breed. Anything that was developed from racing and which could ultimately find its way into a production car, would. Similarly, any past developments now used in road cars that could also be incorporated into the racing program, where it would undergo even further development, would do so as well." --Vic Elford, Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook, 2nd Ed., p. 97.

[Incidentally, Elford and the other drivers simply ignored the synchromeshes and heeled-and-toed the Porsche gearboxes anyway--it was way faster than waiting on the syncros to mesh the gears. Anyone here who has owned a 1972-86 911 with a 915 gearbox can attest to that! In any event, the historical record would seem to indicate that Porsche race cars were successful despite this, ahem, handicap.]

Want more? Find a copy here: https://porschecarshistory.com/wp-content/old/biblio3/46/Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook.pdf

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's not entirely true...

In my Focus RS I have a tune and one of the options is.... flat foot shifting. ( you can look it up if you like) I do NOT need to lift the throttle on shifts. Just clutch in, change gear, dump the clutch and it's crazy fast and keeps boost up.

You can also do it with the stock tune but it's more of powershifting.

13. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Doesn’t it wear parts more

14. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Mentioning sound is there a way to get wall barrier sound echo back when driving close to them ?

15. mdecker79

Nope. The tune drops the revs ever so slightly so it doesn't bang on the rev limiter until you dump the clutch. It's part of the tune.

But if you use the stock tune and powershift it. Well then yes because it's banging on the rev limiter the whole time inbetween.

16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

So do parts only wear more if the engine gets redlined?

17. mdecker79

Pretty much. That's because the normal redline just cuts fuel into the cylinder to bring the revs down. This then makes the cylinder hotter because the fuel isn't cooling it at all which will lead into wear on the other parts. I'm sure there's other things that wear from redlining it and the fuel cut but that's one of them.

18. CrimsonEminence

Redlining wears out the engine faster (having ignition cut or throttle restrictions by the cars systems can prevent damage why it's often more viable to "powershift" with some modern cars that are explicitly allowing for it), strong applied torque while using the clutch wears out the clutch due to flash heating and friction more and the sudden application of the engine on the gearbox when clutching in on full throttle can also wear out your gears. This can all still work but isn't recommendable for longer runs due to obvious reasons.

I know a few cars ingame that grant a look for shift tolerances but overall it doesn't necessarily save for wear you will receive with more careless execution in shifting in order to extract more laptime.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

That's explain why I always gain several places in online races with the F-Inter from standing starts. Seems like almost everyone is using autoclutch + paddle shift on those cars.

That's actually why I think some kind of balancing is needed (if there isn't any in place currently, but I think it's not).

I don't mind about hotlapping, but people using autoclutch and paddle shift actually have a little advantage in long races by masquerading a true skill needed to drive those cars. People who like to drive those cars "properly" need to develop a Senna like skill to be able to match the precision, execution and consistency those driving aids provide to be able to compete with a fast driver who is using them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. CrimsonEminence

You don't need to be Senna to match the full manual shifting against aids on at all.

• Funny Funny x 6