Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Downshifting from 5th to 3th with an H-Pattern to take a corner is a pleasure. Can't have that lovely feeling with paddle shifters.

Anyway, I don't really mind people using paddle shift with cars that are not equipped with it, as it requires a whole new hardware to be able to use an H-Pattern. What really annoys me is people enabling TC and ABS on F-Vintages and the likes.

Why is AMS allowing such arcadey settings? I also don't understand why we have AI pitstops... why would anybody enable such feature? To make it more accesible to newcomers? Do they really need it though? What about the teleport back to track? Why??

A lot of questions indeed. Ofc I know the answer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I give this a go later, thanks.
    I guess with the stupid straight line speed the C3R is hard to follow even with all the front weight and the bycicle brakes. Maybe it's the 911 that needs a little boost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

I think that is SIM-Accessibility.
    also good for my kids.:whistle:

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The changes to vintage and classic tourers weren't related to the upcoming update revision later this year. Different adjustments.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

They feel better somehow, It's been a while I dont drive the C3R, but I remember it was kind of a pain to drive, now it's still a handful but somehow I have a better idea of whats happening. It was some change or maybe I got better I dont know :confused:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There is a reason all high-level sports cars stopped using a manual clutch for everything except launches many, many years ago. Car/team owners and engineers knew without a shadow of doubt that the combination of faster electronic shifts and removing the most difficult and distracting element of the physical dance required, the left-leg foot pedal manoeuvre, would reduce errors (mis-shifts) that often resulted in damaged equipment and lost races or positions. Feet and legs are both needed for throttle and brake since in a race car or kart you are often applying both at the same time during critical balancing manoeuvres.

Then, sequential levers were replaced by paddles because, big surprise, keeping both hands on the wheel is a lot easier to maintain precise control than with one hand constantly moving back and forth between wheel and shift lever.

Whatever attention span saved has often been re-allocated to innumerable controls, dials and readouts, but that's for a different topic :)

As @CrimsonEminence has explained, AMS 2 is explicitly designed with programmed delays when using aids so that there should never be a pure timing advantage to use artificial assists for a hot lap. However, just like real racing has adopted paddles and got rid of manual clutch shifts (in various phases over the years), there is no question that at an amateur level (all of us), the advantage gained by not needing to use three pedals, or not needing to co-ordinate throttle blips, or not needing to lift to shift, or not needing to take one's hand off the wheel, or never skidding due to ABS or never spinning due to applying too much throttle out of a corner too soon thanks to TC, etc., etc., is a huge advantage. What aids or assists are being used for time trial laps should be exposed for all to see. Online races should also have this information available whether or not the server admin or host chooses to apply restrictions.

There is no completely fair way to address all of this. There are people with physical ability restrictions that need to use alternate methods. There are people who cannot afford the full range of pedal and shifter equipment needed to simulate all vehicles in the game. As mentioned above, there are people learning who benefit from temporarily using an easier approach until they become familiarized with the car, track or proper driving technique. All this needs to be accommodated, but so should transparency about who is using which techniques if it is a public multiplayer lobby or official time trial lap due to the undeniable advantage gained by using various combinations of equipment and assists that are not fully "authentic."

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Mikk was dominating leaderboards long before using this best of daniel custom files.

some people just seem to be able to have control that defies physics or isn’t limited by physics .

The Custom FFB files aren’t cheats at all , and in original spec from the original authors , it’s not really that far different in behaviour from default . as the custom developed alongside the improvements in default, there was a noticeable convergence between them .

The files being highlighted in this conversation are a little bit different though. They differ significantly from the original files and have a blended feel of grip between front and rear tyres , which seems to be quite forgiving because the wheel doesn’t lose it’s holding torque that makes you try to correct the steering . so you might benefit from having to make less inputs , but it’s not altering the physics i don’t believe , just muting the sense of it , which is fine if you like that. ignorance is bliss i guess, Feels less immersive to me personally .

But i think it’s worth mentioning that the original project of custom files was to add more details. not remove them and Custom files should be treated individually, i wouldn’t like to see all the writers and tuners that contributed to the files be accused of trying to gain a advantage or anything.
    But there’s definitely advantages to being well in sync with whatever FFB you use , and it’s always very subjective as to what information you rely on to make conclusions of handling , so yes FFB has a good influence on how you think a car handles in my opinion.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 10
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes there was a change for their tires, but it's not much related to the tire revision that is cooking in this moment :)

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I will also have to learn about the different methods of shifting. I’m going to have a long summer :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I want to add one more thing: I REALLY hope that Reiza always stays different/take their own approach compared to other titles like AC/ACC/iRacing. AMS2 feels the best of all to me, it gives me the most alive and therefore real driving feeling. Never try to be like the other sim racing titles in terms of car handling/physics.

Despite all the negative video's that you could find about this subject regarding AMS2's driving behaviour on YouTube/forums etc: AMS2 is the best to me. There are simply many sim racers out there that are "used to" the feeling of AC/iRacing/ACC and expect something equal for that reason, but AMS2 is different and it should stay different. Please don't listen to this crowd and don't change the fundamentals of AMS2, this could ruin AMS2 forever.

Improvements are always welcome of course, but I fully agree with the last line that you wrote: "One of the reasons AMS2 is my goto sim AT THE MOMENT is because its closer the RL slip angle forgivingness than some other sims.". That's the same for me, so I hope that it stays that way...

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

Just one thing, the shifting paddles weren't invented originally to help the drivers (altough this was a good by product for them). It was for mechanical reasons and aerodynamic reasons. First Porsche, with it's PDK system, wanted to reduce turbo lag when shifting gears in the 956. The fact that it helped drivers was of course, a nice bonus to have.

But paddles only became widespread after the ferrari 640, and John Barnard's priority was aerodynamics, he wanted to make the cockpit as narrow as possible, so getting rid of the shift lever was a logical step for that.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

That’s exactly what I was trying to say with my points, but you explained much better and comprehensively. Thanks. Fully agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the invention is the Semi automatic gear box not the paddles, so drivers didn't need the clutch and it made the use of paddles possible so drivers could keep their hands on the steering wheel, shift faster and more precise.

The history of the 'paddle shift' | 24h-lemans.com
    Great Ferrari Innovations: The F1 semi-automatic gearbox

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

They were both created at the same time, but Barnard is very clear in his book and interviews, his top priority was aerodynamics, so it was either that, or he would have squezed the drivers to death, like Newey did in his 881.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Touching the brake slightly mid corner and the car rotating as if on a pivot is really not good
    I hope this is addressed too

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From what I recall, in one of the F1 Beyond the Grid episodes (Tech genius John Barnard on his game-changing F1 inventions) the main reason for the paddles in the Ferrari was for aerodynamics/packaging:

It is a very good episode to listen to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are ppl using TC and ABS on classic cars gaining time though? Oh and on a multiplayer lobby you can forcefully disable those assists and put on authentic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Racinglegend1234

I only use authentic assists

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agree 100% but I’ll just add a note that ACC improved saving the cars on a slide on the most recent update, I was genuinely surprised, the cars do feel a bit closer to AMS 2 GT3 there now

Not all cars behave like that, try changing the brake bias and reducing brake pressure on the car setup

Same but I can understand some ppl wanting some assists on some cars, I go authentic cuz I want realism and I want a challenge but not everyone is like that

some ppl want to drive a classic car they like but don’t have the skill to do it, I used to use assists (mostly abs) in the past and then I started slowly turning it down until I reached a level of skill to modulate the brakes “well enough”, now I go full authentic, no auto clutch, authentic tc and ABS, no driving line, full damage, car failures on

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1