Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

It is hard to have no ABS using a potentiometer brake pedal. It is nearly impossible to consistently threshold brake

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

BS. I raced for more years with pot pedals than LC pedals, braking without assists in a stock Logitech pedal is 100% possible.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

I used Thrustmaster pedals and it was hard with them. It varies

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Agree with Gabriel, it’s doable. I use only standard logitech pedals and it can be done, it’s not too hard. What also help me is adjusting the brake pressures on every car, this helps a lot. But it’s doable. But it’s worth saying that my style is more of an early brake / early throttle. Don’t know if it’s harder for late brakers . I assume the more expensive the equipment the better / easier to have more finesse in the handling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually I use a potentiometer pedal and I do okayish, sure I probably woulda do better on a load cell pedal but sadly I can’t afford one, Logitech is the only mid range company that even ship to Brazil officially at the moment apparently, hence why moza, thrustmaster and fanatec products actually cost more here as they are sold by independent importers

looks like we have similar driving stiles lol or at least similar brake throttle technique

a better equipment might give us better feedback but I heard of many cases of ppl with very expensive dd and pedals loosing to a gigachad using a g25

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. mmertens

Probably the same, for me it’s the good old G25 on my thrustworthy wooden rig I did with backyard scraps. The only upgrade I did which is really great is the shh h shifter, overall low cost but very very good.

7. Pandytim99

It always amaze me how impressive hand built rigs can be sometimes, I almost built a pvc one but ended getting the extreme sxt wheel support to combo with my kitchen chair lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Same problem in Argentina, that's one of the reasons why I went the DIY for many sim hardware solutions that I have on my rig. The pedal set is one of them.

I think there is also an issue with simracing hardware marketing, where you are being sold that the latest tech is the answer to why you are slow, and investing on it will bring you towards the front of the pack. And cases of aliens driving stock Logitech sets are brushed under the carpet, although people with memory and some years in this hobby do remember them very well.

What I will concede though, is that it's very hard to do heel and toe on a Logitech pedalset, specially if you have rather large feet like I do. It was one of the reasons I worked hard on my pedalset, and went through several modifications, until I finally reached a state with it when I can do it consistently, although in a very unconventional way. Need to go through even more modifications to achieve a standard technique.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Pandytim99

btw I’m starting to think you might be one of those g25 gigachads beating some simucube and fanatec users lol

you are totally right, I’ve seen a video from a Brazilian pro driver where he switched from his simicube to a desk mounted g923 and was still running similar lap times

he himself said that improving on technique is much more important than upgrading your wheels and pedals (sure one can argue that one of the reasons for saying that could be cause he is also a coach and have some paid classes but still, he proved his point by even beating his own lap time on the desk mounted Logitech on iRacing)

• Like Like x 1
  10. mmertens

No, not really…I’m more of a mid range driver, cannot beat the fastest. My aim is not to be the fastest, but to be consistent and to always use authentic aids. I try to use Jackie Stewart method of not overdrive the car (maybe only on quali laps) and I try to act as if racing for real. On my custom championships, if I crash my car on practice with some severity , I automatically skip qualifying for example. This works for me and prevents me from over driving or trying impossible moves, etc. But the main thing is to have fun, and I get there’s different people with different approaches, and it’s all good. Having this hobby for a long time, I am really happy with AMS2 can proportionate to us old school racing fans!

• Like Like x 10
  11. Pandytim99

I might have to start following Jackie Stewart advice, I remember it took me 25 takes to complete a single clean “ish” lap on Sudschleife on a lotus 72 despite the fact I’m used to the car and I still brushed a wall at one point lmao

Rest in pasta clean lapperino
    upload_2023-5-3_9-24-46.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

A note for OP edit folks - I’ve edited the wording on the Youtubing comment so that it is more the GPLaps compliment it was meant to be, and less the open ended cheap shot that it ended up being - while I maintain the criticism of influencers as elaborated further on the thread, that was not a constructive way to address it.

Apologies to anyone who felt unduly aggrieved by it - I blame post-release, caffeine fuelled irritability :p

• Friendly x 42
    • Like x 17
    • Winner x 9
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  13. Racinglegend1234

Everyone gets a second chance. Do t do it again though or you will be banned :eek:

• Funny Funny x 23
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

First case of OP too much OP :p

15. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Now this is interesting, thanks for the tip I'll try it. Although if that bug does exist, that pretty much confirms that gamepad support could do with a little love :)

16. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

Given the proven history of blatant trolling with supposed update release dates I'm still surprised the banhammer hasn't been used on this account already...

HELLO MODS ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. John Manetti

John Manetti Active Member AMS2 Club Member

hey, Reiza what do you think of this?

There is an possibility ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They’d have to license lamborghini, and this is expensive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This did seem to improve the deadzone problem so thanks for the tip. I'll have to try a few more cars but it definitely makes things much more drivable with more subtle control around centre. I'm now even more certain we would benefit from some dev time for the pad control in game after discovering this secret 'feature' ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pandytim99

There’s a mod with a Huracan gt3 and Huracan supertrofeo

• Agree Agree x 1