Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm mistaken it with the 2019 Porsche 935 mod (thats actually a great option for this one car series thing), please CrimsonEminence, take that idea of a race series of the Brabham on slicks to whom it may concern :D.

2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My point is that it is already a beast as is. Look at the TT and compare the laptimes to GT3s.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turbo Granny

But it's on the slippery side isnt it? Been a while I dont drive it, its fun and all to drive some laps around with it, but to have a race with it I would preffer it to be on slicks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Realise this was a joke post, but I actually think it would be a good optional feature alongside 'meaningful' car damage, perhaps for single player championships.
    A simple implementation might be based on a maximum g-force calculation of the impact (games like BeamNG can measure g-forces).
    • A low g-force impact costs 20 minutes of the session.
    • A med g-force impact puts you out of the session
    • A high g-force impact puts you out of the weekend
    • An extreme gforce impact might injure and put you out of the next 2 races or even series. Or even...life.
    Variables could be based on the car you're driving:
    - A modern F1 car would be safe, and plenty of resources for quick repair
    - An historic car inherently more dangerous, needing less g-force for injury
    - A club car would need less damage to put you out of a session/weekend due to limited resources to repair
    etc...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, this is something missing from championships. To be honest being unable to continue in a racing weekend after a serious shunt should be a vital part of the championship weekend logic.

Who knows, perhaps there's a way to implement something similar (but adjusted accordingly) to the online multiplayer too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ettore

Not that much IMO. You used to need a lot of TC though. Didn't try after TC was revamped across the sim a couple of months ago

7. Turbo Granny

True, I gave it a go again just now, its a tad bit slippery but with a lot of downforce, it would be fine to have a race with it, but also feels like a waste to not have slicks.

8. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

So you guys are suggesting to simulate the driver frustration and lose a champ all together instead of enjoy driving?

I mean...in-game if the champ is ruined why should I still play it and don't start again? Isn't enough pain already? In real life you are forced to race the full champ even if you know it is already finished but in-game...???

Next level of masochism :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I get enjoyment out of things being simulated.
    So, crashing having a consequence deeper than hitting the 'return to pit' button would coerce me into thinking and behaving differently - more like an actual race car driver - making the overall experience more realistic and more enjoyable to me.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You can roleplay it right now with a dedi server. Setup a server with only 1 seat for humans and fill the rest with AI.

Then you just need some coding to grab the Impact value from the JSON stats file that is generated and print the desired 'repair time' to the player.

If you want to do a single player online championship, then you'll need some more coding to grab the results and save it to a DB.

A little hobby project idea for those interested, not too hard to get it up and running if you are an experienced dev.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ettore

Last time I tried it at Nurburgring it was 2s faster than GT3s... It's a country mile faster than Porka Cups.. Just sayin'... :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

True and a lot more fun to drive also, but that's subjective I guess. It's just a temperamental type, that car, but if you do not overdrive it, it goes plenty fast and behaves. Once it gets out of shape though, it can be handful to get back in line.

On another note, all this talk about manual shifting earlier in the thread made me tear my g27 shifter apart, do random stuff, and somehow magically 2nd gear and 4th work again. Must say my skills took a hit since shifter was broken for quite a while. However early indications are I am not that much slower with it even now, despite being very very rusty.

The extra control it provides on turn in -especially on lower speed corners- is lovely though, you have so much more control over rotation, I missed that during my auto clutch adventures. It's just so much more fun. Well, in the MP4/5B things did not go that great manually, I am way way faster with auto clutch in that. I am old and I just can't keep up, haha.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  13. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem is barriers dont deform in ams2, so every collision is a greater impact then reality. A tepco barrier in ams2 has the same impact as a concrete wall.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I don't understand why is it so difficult to implement proper physics to those objects. It breaks the immersion when i hit tires that act like concrete.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Its a thing in ac csp, but im not sure if it has an effect on physics or if its just visual. Im also not sure it simulating a crash like grosjean’s one in bahrain is within the scope of ams2…

16. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You know what's extra fun? Driving karts with damage on, ramming a stationary opponent at full speed and only getting superficial damage, then driving over one of the small tires at Interlagos Kart or Granja Viana and your kart gets destroyed :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Poundlane

Poundlane New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm a total convert. This title and all the great work on it just means it keeps on giving. So much fun and challenge. Thanks for the great work - well worth the season pass!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. nito-ibz

nito-ibz Active Member

@Renato Simioni is it expected at some point that there will be substantial cosmetic changes to the UI? It's not essential, of course, but this UI feels outdated and tarnishes the quality of everything else. I don't think it will take long. programming to change the aesthetics of the product for something more attractive, perhaps emphasizing those items that make this title exclusive (historical content) and your Brazilian roots (all the Brazilian champions). I know that perhaps it is not the most urgent thing, but I think that It would really give it a fresh and groundbreaking air

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Good point, and I'm sure there are a bunch of problems and limitations.
    But sometimes it's best to work around those, with a view that an imperfect solution is better than nothing.
    At it's most basic, you could add a multiplier for circuits like Long Beach that have a lot of concrete barriers.
    If there's capacity to get more complex, add a 'barrier type' property where concrete has a higher multiplier than a tyre stack for example.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Why go to such extremes in terms of incident ? Just have the tires behave as tires would on impact or close enough by just having the impact softer, and not like a different form of concrete.
    Or maybe you are right, because the devs would not be able to simulate Grosjean's crash then it is absolutely not worth looking into changing anything .