Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I believe that if they can’t proper simulate damage levels and barriers type etc, there must be a way of implementing some algorithms on physics just to calculate damage severity. The depth that this risk / reward situation add to the sim on a race weekend / championship is much higher. This is one of the coolest features on Dirt Rally 2, you could end your rally in 1 misjudged corner (even if I feel the damage model was too lenient ). The level of concentration, risk assessment and commitment are much higher when mistakes / overdriving have consequences. I get this is not for everyone, but this is a component of racing, and any way of simulation of this aspect would enhance the sim. If there’s an option to enable / disable this option, this can be only a win win for everyone. For single player career mode / custom championship, it’s a game changer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Thinking: If there is only made code for 1 or 2 different "softness" of objects it will be pretty hard to change the Mad code to allow more "softnesses".
    Just saying :whistle:

3. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just updating the font to something more modern would go a long way into addressing that and make old stuff feel new for a moderate effort.
    Updating the font might be relatively easy (and even, probably not that easy for various reasons) but I would not expect a large UI overhaul anytime soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

AMS2 is a time machine sim...

It's UI shouldn't be more "modern"...

It should be more functional yes... But not more "modern"...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

Ironically, "modern" in korean is "Hyundai":D
    i need more "Hyundai" N cars in AMS2:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I would like a modern hot hatch in AMS2 to thrash around at the nuburgring since I cant do it in person :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

An interesting video from RafaBin with Gabriel Casagrande, current Stock Car Brasil driver.

He drove AMS2 back in late 2020 and drove it now and felt that the sim has improved MASSIVELY.

He did complained that the Stock Cars were understeering on corners, whereas in real life they would bite a bit more.

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a shame that the karts don get much love, they are not Project Cars level of rage inducing bullsh*t, but they need work. The AI are all over the place spinning and crashing on some tracks, you could play the Benny Hill theme and it would fit :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I was wondering about that

10. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If i recall correctly grid 1 had quite realistic deformable barriers for both tires and those metal railings (sorry i dont know how they are called in english)

and Shift 2 (that uses madness engine) had damage textures to walls for when you hit them and for the grass or gravel whenever a car flips there
    this video is quite intersting, some of those stuff still in madness engine and in AMS 2

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

In real life they would be a bit more ... what exactly ?

12. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Bite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There are two issues with track-related damage. First, is simply the manual task of assigning every single item a physics value that is appropriate. Remember the immovable titanium corner markers we had at Donington for a while before the proper floppy/breakable plastic ones were finally installed? ;)

The second item is the more problematic and the reason we have immovable, unbreakable fences at some (new and existing) tracks. My understanding is that every movable/deformable object on the track contributes to performance degradation, so on tracks like historic Interlagos or Suds, making every fence post or fence section behave closer to what it would if hit by a car in real life would likely end up making the tracks unusable by most of the user base.

Some day we may all have super computers that can do this, but I doubt refining all the multitude of surfaces and objects in AMS 2 tracks will be a high priority relative to the many other tasks on the to-do list.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Dirt Rally 1 had deformable snowbanks. You could actually use them to bounce off into/out a corner. It was awesome. Dirt Rally 2.0 hasn't them, tho.

15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

First lets work the AMS2 cars deformation. Except for BeamNg, iRacing does it the best for open wheelers. The AMS2 one is... very weird.

If brands don't want it, let the GT3 and GT4 cars out (nobody cares about those anyway :D), do the generic open wheelers and we are good.

16. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
  17. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It also had hidden rocks in the snowbank that would send you to space. DR1 may have had deformable track objects, but DR2.0 had a more believable car mass.

Edit: Sweden was my most hated rally in DR1. Using the snowbank was a gamble on whether you hit the soft stuff or instantly died.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

How ecactly does heel and toe work and when isit used and for what reason? Thx

19. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

Bite... As in "front bite", like when you have a lot of front downforce.

But outside of that, his real like skills translated well into the sim, and he praised the evolution on the AI (battling each other, defending lines, looking for overtakes)

• Like Like x 5
  20. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1