Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Pesky manufacturers and their "safety" features... :whistle:

There's always the rally school method. So long TC/ABS/SC...

giphy (17).gif

Edit: Timestamped for relevance. Do at your own risk, I'm not responsible for the crash that may occur from this knowledge.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is the DRS from the AJR cars gonna be fixed? I noticed the the front DRS do not have animation on AMS 2

3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can someone please tell my why the
    F-ultimate gen 2 will get the v1.5 update this month and not the gen 1?

4. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

A few notes about the UI. Some of the scrollbars are maybe five pixels wide and that makes them quite fiddly to use with the gaze cursor in VR. Mostly this means the scrollbar on the car class list when setting up a session. The track selection scrollbars are slightly thicker, but I wouldn't mind a couple more pixels on top of that.

I [think I] use the gaze cursor mostly because some elements in the UI are not navigable with the paddles and d-pad of my wheel.

For example, on the car setup screen for suspensions you can't move to the left and right columns with wheel controls AFAIK. The paddles change the page, the d-pad changes the values on the middle column where you start. Up and down d-pad doesn't "overflow" to the next column. I think replays are another place where your wheel's controls aren't enough to reach every button on the UI.

Sorting these out would make me a lot happier about the interface. I believe my other issues with the UI have already been reported in the past, but if it helps with development I'll happily take a moment to fiddle with the interface and collect a list of what I feel could be improved.

5. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My guess is that it's related with the release of the Barcelona track, just before the F1 race there, this way people get to experience that track in the latest f1 car with the new physics

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

The "new" raceroom UI isn't bad as example btw...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Pandytim99

I believe the Gen 1 need some updates outside of just new tire model

it is the only F1 car without a proper damage model as well (indestructible rear wing)

8. Pandytim99

I really need to start the damage model thead btw im a bit busy with university but after the exams ill have more time

9. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

When I got the game for the first time years ago, my initial impression of the menus compare to other games is that it is outdated because it looks simple. But over time, I kind of get used to it and for the love of the game, I have to. I thought Project Cars 2 menus look pretty nice, it's got nice heavy use of color pallets (not sure if I describe it correctly), but just the slick looking style. There appear to be substance behind the Project Cars 2 menus where as AMS2 menus look barebone and simplistic which can give off the impression that it is a project or WIP.

10. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Interesting that you say that about pedals. I have size 15 (US) feet and I have to heel brake/toe throttle on my g27 pedals. I think the reason is the level of rotation on my right leg because even in a real car, I still use heel on brake when doing heel toe.

I personally much prefer left foot braking.

11. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I still feel that they are very similiar in some ways, and different in others. At least it is very usable for people with steamdecks or who use the dpad on their wheels

12. Darío Quiza

Darío Quiza Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can the rest join this point? Maybe some constructive insights from other users :)

I agree the GUI is purposeful, but right now I also agree that, while it doesn't look particulary outdated, it do is reminiscet of PC2 (it was also large and detailed); and even if that's not a bad thing, as it is at this moment, it's a bit of a mess of mixed philosophies and developers. Allow me to sort my thoughts listing them:
    • The list of options is a bit messy, with duplicates like autoclutch appearing in controler menu and gameplay menu, I think; TC and ABS still have controller asings for +/-, and also a control asinging for high/low function, wich doesn't make sense to me.
    • There are two separate menus for visuals/graffics related options, maybe they should be one unified menu (one menu for graffics, one for audio, one for controllers, one for gameplay, etc.)
    • Inside the controller menu, the asingments got messy when duplicate controls were added, and it is welcome to be able to have paddles and stick to change secuential gears, f.e., but divided that menu in listed asigns and two column tables.
    • Also, there are long menus that need to scroll down a lot (later on that) and very short menus that could be integrated in others, like the car assists (here those weird TC and ABS old functions could dissapear, and the TC, ABS, engine mapping and ERS +/- could be relocated here).
    • There is a mixture of menu inside menu, the are some inside menus that can be switched using a big grey tab on the upper side of the screen, while other inside menus have a small red tab under the upper line of menus.
    • Regarding scrolling down on long pages, it's no secret that is a bit cumbersome to do that with the mouse wheel, and in controller menu with the duplicate table, is mostly imposible (I do it with the arrow keys).
    • Probably my main complain is the set up menu, it inherited some useless (or maybe missunderstood) elements, like the graph on tire pressures, wich I guess should show tire wear, or maybe the O/M/I temps, o maybe the tire set... But right now it only uses a lot of space; or the wasted space reserved for front/center differential and set up options not available for lots of cars, like center springs/dampers, etc. I miss a lot a graph of gear development with rpm, with a power/torque curve. Also, in most cars with no center elements, it shows a permanent slow bump option fixed in 1 clic.
    • Also in set up screen, and the same in replay screen, it's a pain to switch between invisible panels, having to play with the mouse to finally enable the option you want to change... when you hit it properly, because apparently the pointer doesn't always clic, or clic an intermediate option that doesn't show (f.e., you are lowering tire pressures, 1.75 bar, clic on -, and is still 1.75 (maybe 1.745?), and when you clic - again, finally 1.74).

Summarazing, I think the GUI as it is right now, is functional, but is a frankenstein that needs some refining and reorganizing to make it more uniform and consistent, and also make it have more personality ;)

I hope this can help a bit.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  13. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

The UI is great for me. I just wished the little annoying things could get fixed. Spacing issues, the ICM page 2 positioning kinda triggers my OCD (it's not aligned at the bottom), the Class Selection and Championship menus can't be navigated with the gamepad or wheel buttons, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 29
  15. nito-ibz

nito-ibz Active Member

hello @Renato Simioni, thanks for answering. we agree that the UI is functional, but as someone else has mentioned, the base is very reminiscent of PC2. the approach is the same and it lacks a lot of personality. a study that is capable of working wonders on german tracks should take some time to create a cohesive UI with the product so that the cover doesn't cloud the content. as i said in the comment for which you reply, i think doing something more artistic by emphasizing that great content that AMS2 hides, would be a success.
    To give an example of what I mean, instead of boxes with the available game modes, I would put a list with those game modes and as you go from one to the other, the central screen changes depending on the chosen/marked mode. .
    In this way, each one will have a different theme inspired by that particular mode.
    On the other hand, in the vehicle selection menus, I would keep the showroom required so that when going from one vehicle to another it is seen directly in 3D with a background of a box of a circuit for racing cars or somewhere With a good landscape in the case of street cars (many of us have never visited Brazil, could you put some nice place there?). Same with the circuit selection menu, when going from one to another, they appear on the screen videos of cars rolling on the background track as you choose.
    The options menu is fine, but it also needs love.
    In short, I think we have a great simulator and it deserves a UI that is up to the task and that shows that care and affection that you put into the details. Unfortunately it is not like that, although I do not think it is too arduous a task. Thank you for reading us and being attentive to our demands

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Honestly i feel like changing the font to something more modern and sleek would already do wonders to the UI, but I'm 100% biased on that, I dislike the UI font so much I even looked if modding it out of the game was possible xD

Big fan of how the GT7 UI looks, really clean and non-intrusive; everything you need is there, but it doesn't get in the way of the game. Also, to add on that, a full track map is a must in any sim UI, and I hope we get one in the new few updates because it really helps.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 15
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Where did you get the meme from?
    Think I saw it somewhere, but don’t know where
    :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

We do have brake squeal...but it has not always been properly co-ordinated with cold or worn brakes. Sometimes it happens every time brakes are used; sometimes never, depending on how it has been set in the game. An area that requires a QC pass. Of course we have gear grinding sound when you misshift.

But still, with 100% electronically-controlled shifts (aside from launch) in zillion dollar modern F1 cars, we still see sudden shock and dismay when a transmission just gives out for no apparent reason....despite all the data and data monitoring :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Will there be this layout for Catalunya available too, with the Nissan corner ? I played Project Cars 2 today and found it had the Nissan corner and it is a super cool version of the track ! Of course in that game the Europcar corner is the chicane so the AMS2 release should be the modern version of the corner too.
    Catalunya-Nat95.png

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is exactly how I do it. But if I had a big pedal face for the throttle I could do it like RL. This is also the reason why I use a stiff brake with a short travel, it's much easier to nail the technique with pedal height changing little while applying pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2