Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes the kerbs and everything else feel exactly the same on FX 100 and 0. The only difference I can feel is sitting in neutral while the car idles.

3. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

That's how it is, FX doesn't seem to have a function in Defaults anymore

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I can confirm your first point. When the tires lock, there is a permanent flat spot and the vibrations and shocks are extreme. The whole rig vibrates. The higher the power of a base, the worse it gets

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Kerbs in game are 3d models, as well as road surface. With updated tires /updated cars, both need way less "shaped" effect - instead we have them naturally via vehicle suspension / steering mechanism. FFB code remains the same, to allow clear perspective about physics updates.

FX slider for actual remaining "bolted on" effects does work as it always was - simple test - try braking in straight line and you'll notice "vibration", increasing in amplitude and frequency as you approach lockup. Zero out FX and that is gone.

• Informative Informative x 18
    • Like Like x 5
  6. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is an up to date list of the full set of effects covered by the FX channel available? It might be helpful, especially if the canned kerb effect removal is a recent change and not just how it always was, or something :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Domagoj Lovric

So to be clear nothing was removed (see above, ffb code is the same) - just the amount of "canned" noise in updated cars is greatly reduced / removed, via vehicle specific parameters.

FX slider controls: "canned" roadnoise/kerb "addon", engine vibration (only on standstill/ lowspeed, Default+ only) and "scrub" vibration on lateral / longitudinal slip (Default, front wheels only, Default+ does some vibrational add-in on rear wheels slip as well).

PS. While calling it "canned" immediately answers it is not something that emerges naturally on steering wheel via steering mechanism, it is not in any form "made up", as, for example, some sine wave or sawtooth wave with changing wavelength (frequency change with velocity).
    It is driven by actual physics, so when there is, "impulse" over curb, that is simply wheel hitting "top" of single kerb element/block.

• Informative Informative x 24
  8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why raising the steering lock to the max if the steering is too direct? You should lower it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm glad you mentioned this as there are some P2P enhancements coming for the next build. For all road tracks, except Laguna Seca, P2P is set at 200 seconds total time with a maximum 20 seconds per activation. For Laguna Seca it is 150 seconds total time with a maximum 15 seconds per activation.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  10. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for the explanation :)

I should probably clarify about my use of "canned". I didn't mean it as a pejorative, rather it's a term I've seen used a lot in relation to added effects in FFB in racing sims over many years, and so I suppose I'd assumed it was the standard terminology for that concept. No offence or implied criticism was intended :oops:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really appreciate this approach. Those "canned" effects are important to make me feel like I'm driving a car as the steering wheel is the only way I can feel something physically. For some reason people seem to have started using this "canned" term in very negative way as it would be a bad thing in itself.

ps. If I personally would want to tame the vibrations from kerbs and such as well, at least on Moza bases, I can adjust the FFB EQ on the base software (something I do occasionally also other sims like rF2 if I play late an night and want to keep it slightly quieter for others sleeping close by)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Apex

Apex Active Member

I agree for the most part, although in all fairness having the 962s as field fillers in late '80s scenarios is quite authentic, I guess, and if you go the Interserie route, almost anything goes really, even the GTP doesn't seem out of place.

And by tweaking the custom AI file a bit, you can make all cars in the field more even, though the Porsche will always be a bit slower on high speed tracks. You can remedy this by lowering the consistency for the Nissans and the Saubers so they make more minor mistakes that will affect their overall pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

Are Laguna Seca and Laguna different track?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I could look at replays of the F-Retro for days, feels so satisfying if you get that slight drift just right, then look back and are surprised on how close you got to reality.

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  15. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

It’s 6 am EST, and I’m waking up to several, substantive posts by @Domagoj Lovric and @Coanda about the FFB changes included in the RC … contributions like these really separate Reiza from the pack.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

“When Revson came to McLaren he could drive [the McLaren M23] and I could virtually drive his. Now, as for Emerson, he has completely different ideas and techniques. He likes to drive it more on the throttle with the tyres sliding, whereas I'd sooner have it slightly understeering. So the contrast is completely different.

[...]

All through the year Goodyear always improved front tyres and I can't drive with an oversteering car. I need better rear tyres. So, because the car was oversteering all the time, we needed to do something about the anti-squat characteristics. We put on the anti-squat and, for me, it made no difference if it was 'up' or 'down.'" --Denny Hulme

Source: F1’s iconic cars: The McLaren M23 by Giorgio Piola

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Apex

Apex Active Member

I love the M23. Maybe it's the James Hunt factor, maybe it's the cockpit, or maybe I just dig cars where I can see the front suspension at work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

I am hoping that for 1.5 apart from having steering lock adjustable in fixed setup lobbies, that the minimum value can be customised to lower than 14/16 on all cars. This will be ideal for ovals and also for some cars with over direct steering e.g. BMW GT3/4.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Nah it's the same track.. I accidentally left out Seca..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Domagoj Lovric

Ah sorry for leaving such impression, i didn't for a moment saw it as any offence or criticism, and i don't mind constructive criticism to be clear. Just wanted to clarify even if it's "bolted on effect", aka you would not see such thing generating torque on the wheel rim via steering mechanism, it is entirely "driven" by physics "signal".
    We mentioned in ffb guide, "vibration feedback" we sense (seat of pants) will be felt on wheel rim as well as rest of chassis, just it would not move wheel rim left-right. This is something for which transducers ("buttkicker") and actuators on motion-sim rigs compensate for the best, but not everyone has those. FFB wheels for all the advancements in tech, are still in almost 100% of cases - 1DOF devices. Some do feature vibration motors in them but they are, so to speak, heavily "band limited". T-GT base comes with transducer, but can't be utilized parallel with ffb on pc.

And i personally come from same "mindset", usually dating back to rFactor & realfeel plugin days, where ffb effects setting > low added "canned" effects, which in there really were "madeup" sine/sawtooth waves.

• Friendly Friendly x 2