Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

They did have a lot of drag yes. Quite a lot in fact with all the wing they would run at the back to put the power down.

The BMW engine propelled Berger to 354kmh at Monza, with a big wing, even without wastegates, so according to my numbers, it was pushing something like 1200bhp or more realistically in that session.
    There are plenty of CFD studies these days of these cars that gives us a glimpse of how much drag and downforce they had, plus numbers and estimates of the period.

It is true that they changed from race to race, but there is also information about specific cars online, specially the 98T. The 98T gained power over the season, but Estoril was late in the season also, and the only other major upgrade after that came at the season finale, where they just gave even more power so Senna could try to go for pole in the last race of their engine. This was in adelaide, which is also in game.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Member AMS2 Club Member

hello @Renato Simioni, I am very enthusiastic about the game and very happy with what is coming. but I would have two questions, doubts about the construction process itself. the first is that it is very difficult (laborious) to make extra tools available for racing, given that the tire limiter has been made available on the RC. Would an inverted grid be a more laborious tool or not?
    the second question would be about the fcy and Safety car system, no more clear evolutions. it would be the same problem of the inverted grid.

Thank you in advance for your attention, and for always being attentive to doubts!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tested the 98T at Jerez 88, but I did not go for qualy runs. I did notice that it rides much tougher, suspension is quite stiff, and got lots of chatter both hardbraking into, and accelerating out of, slow corners. I bet it would get much more challenging with max boost!

Still, Models 1 and 2 don't suffer with driveability at all, crank it up and off you go!

4. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

That depends on the input device and if we are talking about steering lock meaning the angle the car´s front wheels turn (EG 16 degrees) or the number of degrees from full left input and full right input of the sterering wheel (turns from lock to lock 240 degrees). With a wheel as a controller, increasing the turns lock to lock (to 480 degrees for instance) will make the car react less to a given amount of wheel rotation thus be less sensitive but also will feel like driving a truck.

If it´s a digital device being used then you want less degrees of front wheel lock to make the car less sensitive because you only get full lock or straight wheels with each input.

What I find in this game is there is no calibration between all the cars´ steering sensitivity on digital devices so some are over responsive to inputs (BMW GTs) whereas others are lazy (McLaren MP4/1) even if both are on 16 degrees lock and there´s nothing that can be done to mitigate, not even damping or speed sensitivity are effective.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

Having fun with the new Indy 2023, I second the motion that oval setup for Indy500 is not
    handling correctly. Feels great on Road America.

It would be great if the P2P was on a toggle rather than requiring to hold all the time, I think
    real Indy cars are on a toggle system, perhaps adding a push to pass option for toggle/hold in future release?

Anyone know if Barber Motorsports Park is on the track development list for Indy packs?

Cheers

6. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

NB! FOUND A THING in RC.

The Formula Junior mirrors do not change perspective, when you move your head in VR. The reflection in them stays fixed.

This feature works correctly for the new F-USA 2023 and F Inter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ayzr0451

ayzr0451 Member

My english is very limit and i don't understand a lot of this. Do you say that changing the steering ratio has no effect? I find it usually has a dramatic effect, it just doesn't help the formula usa 23 with the sensitivity

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Reduce steering lock setting, reduce rear anti roll bar, reduce rear ride height or increase front ride height and turn weight jacker down, this should have an effect already on the pointyness of the car. (Can affect cornering speed and front tire heating though)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

I always thought that Berger's top speed against Fabi (who was actually faster around the lap) was due to the former running less downforce. Could it be that it was just more aggressive engine configuration, which hurt driveability?

10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There are considerations for engine configs (even in cockpit, which AMS2 doesn't feature yet besides the boost button) - This is for the FW11 for example:
    edfshgd.png

Not only for fuel conservation but also for drivability on a hotlap you have to choose your best pick and info on wether the "big mode" is avaiable is also sparse.

• Informative Informative x 5
  11. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just want to say: I've been holding off on my assessment of the new physics.

Having now raced for several days the cars with the new physics, I have to say, for me this is a massive-massive step forward.

I'm really happy! ;)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  12. Richard Wilks

Those settings were for the race engine only. In qualy they ran different engines with as much power as they could get away with. They just added wing until the car would just stick to the road at high speeds, and cope with it at low speeds by controlling the wheelspin with the right foot. Power basically gave them much more aceleration and more downforce, because they could win the fight against the drag.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Hopefully we will have some sort of boost adjustments on board someday :)

I'm getting inclined to believe we are using slightly exaggerated power outputs ingame atm.

I should try some hotlaps with boosts at 90-95%, see what kind of performance I get out of that, and check the power numbers in the telemetry. That should paint a more clear picture :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Another consideration at this, is that we don't run special Q engines in game, just cranked up race engines (which is what McLaren did with TAG engines IIRC?). So maybe the outputs should be a tad lower when maxed out? It's hard to balance your choices, it ends up being a design decision IMO.

15. Hweaton

Hweaton New Member

Pretty sure they press and hold in real IndyCar (I'm remembering seeing an onboard of Grosjean moving his thumb onto a button and holding it for several seconds so he wasn't just turning it on and off), but a toggle option similar to what the F1 games have is a nice idea. Can be used for other boost cars such as F-Classic Gen 1 cars as well.

16. Richard Wilks

Well i dont know what power the devs gave the cars in game. What you see in the menus might not be the number with full boost.

But for example for the Honda my notes say that in Rio the engine had 1051bhp qualy and 906 race. At hockenheim, it had 1130bhp and reached 332.5 kph in qualy, and 963bhp and 324kph in the race. So you can see that they put more wing in qualy, since a) they had more power, and b) they didnt had to worry with fuel consumption.

Edit: in my mod i just gave them a different engine for Qualy to solve that in AMS1.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

It will if you use a wheel. With controller or keyboard not so much.

A modern wheel with 1080 degrees range will have very low sensitivity if you use that max range. If you reduce to 240 then the car will respond much quicker to the same amount of input. This can be adjusted using the wheel software outside the game.

In game, reducing the car front wheel steering lock to 14 will also help but it would be better to have the option to reduce it more to 8 or 10 degrees as more lock is not required for oval tracks and just creates more tyre scrub and wear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

FIA Newsflash: Richard "Pushrod Penske" Wilks under investigation for possible rules breach....

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

In the next build the push to pass rules for Formula USA 2023 are..

Track Type: Road & Street
    Session Type: Race
    Activation Type: Single button push (no hold)
    P2P Allocation: 10 x 20 seconds per P2P Laguna Seca: 10 x 15 seconds per P2P
    P2P Restrictions: P2P disabled on first lap of race
    Notes: Multiple P2P activations can be used on a single lap

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 16
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's the opposite. The higher the steering lock the more sensitive. Don't be confused by the "steering ratio" that many other sims use and works exactly the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2