Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We must have had different childhoods as I was never interested in Dev updates as a child ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nothing more enjoyable than unwrapping a +10000 word dev update as a 5 year old on christmas eve.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's one of the standout things to me about AMS2 compared to other titles, the obvious development and dedication Reiza have to the project, makes me really happy to see. Every dev log gets me giddy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you, mate; kid at Christmas. Just got back home after being away for ages and have access to my wheel/vr for the first time since the update dropped, desperate to try it but it is 30c in this room and I cannot bring myself to put my headset on and cook my head. :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Ok so I have tried FUltimate gen 2 and I have serious issues driving it in mid-speed corners. It like this car has infinite front grip, you just need to turn the wheel and car will rotate. Its like car has excees rotation (but without danger of spin) in mid-speed corners and its very hard to find point where you feel that front end is on the limit and that you are seatled down waiting front end to start bite. Example of corner where I find this is behavioir is Bruxells at Spa Franchorshamps. Anybody having same feeling!?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I don’t see any issues. I’ve only driven it around Barcelona

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont agree with you in any of your pretty silly outpourings above - but I also have some reservations slightly along your lines here.
    Im a bit hesitant but something fishy happens with this car trying to corner on the limit.

ByTheWay: Normally Im able to lay down lap after lap within almost the same 0.0xx sec but with this car something odd happens with the sideways corner movement without Im able to pinpoint WHY :confused:. Be aware Im only talking about TT mode :whistle:

8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

But that's the thing with modern F1 cars, they are the fastest cars in the world, if they spun or loose traction on every mid or high speed corner they would fail at what they are supposed to be.

These are ground effect cars, the faster they go the more glued to the track they are, as long as the tires can handle the load. I feel the game does a good job on the feeling of supreme downforce these cars have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont want to be too stubborn and you could be right that its because the car is an extreme ground effect car. And that could be the reason I feel something fishy when the car gets in or drop out of this ground effect mode.:)

ByTheWay: But if you are right then the Brabham vaccum cleaner who are multo dependant of a similiar effect should also be radically changed after this physics update.
    And slightly checked it recently it has not :whistle:

10. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Ground effect downforce and downforce generated by wings are not the same. Kyle engineer or Marc Priestly have some good insight into this.

Essentially, think about what happens to the flow of air over the old complicated aero parts, lots of end plates and downforce optimised for moving 'straight' through the air, ground effect is different and can tolerate some lateral movement without compromising too much. Bumps/uneven surfaces on the other hand or stalling the diffuser causes HUGE problems for the new design because they rely mostly on downforce from under the car, not over it.

If you look at the 2019 car and how it took corners it is fundamentally different to how the 2022/3 car needs to be driven, there are comparisons showing this in Max V's approach, corners are more textbook than before, rounder and less jerky.

Not saying that it is right or wrong in the game, just that talking about the ultimate next to the ultimate 2 is almost pointless, they drive nothing alike both in real life and in the sim.

Totally agree that the feeling of that grip/downforce in AMS2 is what makes the formula cars so fantastic though.

11. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

To put my silly observations in a simple form: car behaves like there is no front grip limitation.

12. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Now I have tried F-USA and I need to say that I am very pleased how this car drives. It is also hihg downforce car but with noticable limitation of grip on front end..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope you are not saying that the F USA 23 and Gen 2 should feel the same as they are no where near the same. Just took the RSS Hybrid 23 out on the same track and it performed the same on all high speed corners. High speed cornering in this generation of cars should be very easy. It is getting traction coming out of low speed corners is where the challenge should be. Where you have to be gentle on the throttle as you have very little down force and loads of power available and can lose the back end but when the car is traveling at high speed you should have nearly infinite grip as the tires are being "smashed" into the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The thing with high downforce cars is, the faster you go the better they handle. Just watch some onboard pole laps and you'll see that AMS2's approximation to the real thing is astonishing and quite impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Is that so? Because lately I'm doubting that.

You're rarely going less than 80 kp/h with a car like that, which means the tire can build quite a lot of grip, especially seeing it's a slick. The brakes are about three times as powerful as the engine - if anything should be challenging to apply, it's them.

Also, how many cars, especially F1 cars, have you seen spinning out on throttle? Especially seeing as there are several example for cars losing the rear or locking up under braking?

16. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Of corse I am not expecting to handle the same, but for me F-Ultimate has to much front grip in mid-speed corners.

17. Racinglegend1234

What are you comparing with?

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well we were talking about grip in terms of cornering but yes braking is always a tricky balance of not locking the fronts or the rears. If you lock the rears you will spin for sure.

19. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

I comparing with real-life onboards and similar formula models in other sims. Despite having huge amount of downforce, in low-mid speed corners you should feel limit at the front end.

20. Racinglegend1234

What FFB do you use due to default FFB being more focused on the rear AFAIK