Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

BrunoB:
    try sensitive @ 50.
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hey Bruno! I'm a little overwhelmed with your question. You have a non FFB wheel, what does that mean? You're limited with your legs, but then why don't you need an FFB wheel. Are you restricted with your arms too? A wheel with double padel doesn't work either? Sorry for my questions but I'm at the limit with your question

• Like Like x 2
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Thank you for answering Daniel.
    Yeah info was missing but it was only because I dont wanted to bore people with my problem.
    No my arms are ok - and my (1)leg is only damaged because of a sports accident (badminton:rolleyes:)

But if you are using a fully handcontrolled wheel (pic) then you loose all control of brake/throttle if you hands and fingers get twisted more than about +- 20 degree by turning the wheel.
    And FFB "disturbance" is an absolute nono.
    So Im looking for maybe an advice to get fine control in the middle of the wheel movement and a much more coarse one when turning the wheel more than +- 15 degree.

ByTheWay: The default linear sensibility 50 are completely useless. But thanks for the "advice".

SRWFront+Rear30prc.jpg

4. Danielkart

Now I understand better what you mean. By the way, I didn't advise you to 50% steering sensitive ;) So my guess was correct that you use dual-clutch. But as you turn, you naturally lose your feel for the gas and brakes. The bigger the turn, the more difficult it gets, I hope I understand it a little better now. Very interesting your question, do you use defaults or Customs FFB

• Like Like x 1
  5. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

I was the one who recommended it because it seemed to me, from its description, that it complained of a rotation between its real steering wheel and the one in the simulator.
    Me too had the same situation after version 1.4 and I found the solution in this, since before I kept the sensitivity at 100%, like him.
    My steering wheel was out of phase with that of the screen.
    Since I tried the sensitivity to 50% everything is back to normal.
    I'm sorry it didn't work out for him
    :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Danielkart

No problem, I didn't understand him correctly either. And I'm not sure if I've really understood it now ;) Your suggestion was good, unfortunately not what he was looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BrunoB

You understand it corectly now Daniel.:)
    But the reason I suddenly asked this question after a lot of years in AMS2 is only because I got the idea that if I to the contrary of now where I set the FFB to OFF does set it to ON - then I could maybe edit the turning law (transfer law between plastic to virtual wheel) inside the editable FFB file to something like an exponential curve (subtl in the beginning and then more coarse when I turn the wheel more).
    But after studying inside the FFB file I cannot see a parameter targeting this "transfer law".
    Silly me - but it could be nice if it was possible.

ByTheWay: I just found this quotation from rF2 where the sensibility slider does actually work:
    Moving the sensibility slider to the left slows the initial reaction to the wheel's movement.
    Moving it to the right increases the response as you first turn the wheel.

rF2 sensibility slider.png

8. Danielkart

Just as it is also possible with pedals to adjust these values for gas, brake and clutch in the software (in my case in the Heusinkveld software). If you could use this software without pedals it would be optimal. Of course that will be difficult;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

There is a possibility of making it more sensitive or responsive while leaving sensitivity at 50% so that the virtual wheel matches visually.

this line here
    (ratio_scale (/ steer_ratio 8))

increasing the number will increase the ratio of turning the in game wheel does, or in your case decrease the amount of degrees of turn required by your physical wheel .

it will be a constant still so not scaled , but it’s possible that a new calculation can be made to make it scaled vs degrees of turn .

but im not sure that would be the best idea for accuracy .

• Like Like x 2
  10. BrunoB

Thanks Kuku for trying to help.
    You pinpoint exactly why this doesnt help - because as I understand your explanation then changing this value does the same as changing the wheel lock in the setup menu.
    And my problem is allready that to get a somewhat reasonably high turning effect when I turn my wheel to my personal max(about 20 degree) then there is more or less no accuracy in the middle of wheel movement.:(

ByTheWay: Conserning Daniels proposal of using some other software to change the law (?) of the wheel movement then I dont think it is possible.
    The rF2 solution in my pic above where you pretty simple can change the linear law to something more progressive/exponential would have been ideal.:confused:

11. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This should be what the steering sensitivity setting in AMS2 does, only the "make everything linear" point that is 100% in rF2 is 50 in AMS2. As you decrease below 50 it is conceptually the equivalent of reducing from 100% in rF2, and as you increase above 50 the equivalent of increasing beyond 100% in rF2. Same with the pedal sensitivity settings, 50 is linear in AMS2.

I say "conceptually the equivalent" because we don't know what actual equation is used to calculate the input to output mapping curve, that may differ from rF2. But the idea is the same.

I would imagine that to achieve what you want to you'd need to find the sweet spot between the steering sensitivity rotary on the SRW-S1 and a steering sensitivity setting somewhere below 50 in the game. I'd also suggest that if you alter the wheel's sensitivity setting that you also recalibrate the wheel in the game, given that that wheel setting just changes the wheel's rotation range.

"ByTheWay": I have an SRW-S1 (two actually, the second one is a bit broken so it sits behind my wheelbase to serve as engine RPM LEDs via FanaLEDs!). Before I had the space and funds for a permanent rig I would use the SRW-S1 on a week night because the "proper" wheel and pedals etc (a somewhat elderly Thrustmaster T500RS, cutting edge here!) were too much of a hassle to set up and teardown just for a few quick laps. So I am familiar with what you're using.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrunoB

Principally you are completely right.
    But in AMS2 I think I have found why it doesnt work in my situation.
    Because I can only turn the wheel about the mentioned +- 20 degree then the effect of the change in "transfer" law doesnt cut in where it should (at higher turning degree).
    If I was able to turn as example +- 90 degree then Im sure that I could feel a difference between 0-50-100 in Sensivity setting.
    But because Im only is able to use this narrow band then the only difference I can feel is a change in the middle deadzone on the wheel.
    It does feel like that.
    Hehe and the reason is that when I use a setting of 100 which if I recall right is fully exponientiel then the start of the expo curve is very slow ramping up.
    Which gives the feeling of a huge middle deadzone.

OK enough of this. Its my problem and I guess that my revelation of using the FFB file was silly :D

13. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

Awesome June dev report.
    1.5 should be very interesting considering the release of the Adrenalin pack and the introduction to dirt.

Curious how this will transfer over to the current customs.

I'm sure Reiza have put much more work into it since SMS messed with it, but just for hoots i fired up Pcars2 a couple months back to test it out on the new wheel and dirt was rough no matter what settings i used.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’m reasonably confident it won’t cause any drastic changes, the track mesh will need to be balanced against normal surfaces, otherwise even default users will need to make lots of adjustments each time they select a dirt track .
    1.5 based cars have felt great to me without any adjustments in custom file . Just a bit of gain tuning per car .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Danielkart

I see it a little differently. For me 1.5 is the biggest improvement and change in physics so far. As a result, the FFB has also changed a lot in defaults but also in the customs. Therefore, for me, an adaptation to current physics is unavoidable. Of course everyone sees it differently and if you are satisfied you can of course leave it as it is:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dMASS

dMASS Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Daniel, I've been a big fan of your customs on my DD2. I use Maurices slightly modified version of yours with his recommended settings. Can't wait to see what you have cooking for 1.5

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

@BrunoB I have no idea if this would work well for you and it a bit off subject from your current question.

Something to consider but it is a bit expensive. The wheel i am using is the Logitech direct drive. The wheel rim comes with a gear shifting paddle on each side, but it also comes with duel clutch axis paddles also on each side of the wheel.

You can use those axis and bind them to gas and brake and have a force feedback wheel as well.

I hope you get your problem solved. Wish i had some helpful thoughts on it.

EDIT.
    Probably much cheaper options perhaps?

I'm pretty sure i see you at the top of many TT leaderboards. You are fast

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  18. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just upgraded to the Moza R9 yesterday and have playing around with the pit house settings and driving many laps, this is what I've settled on for now.

upload_2023-6-25_22-38-10.png
    upload_2023-6-25_22-38-31.png

FFB Equalizer
    10HZ - 100
    15HZ - 100
    25HZ - 90
    40HZ - 80
    50HZ - 70

Linear FFB curve

In game

All with this custom file

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

That Moza pithouse program looks pretty sweet. I wish Logitech would do something similar for the direct drive wheel

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

It’s Logitech. They earn more money elsewhere for them to care about sim racing