Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Sorry, I gave you the wrong values with gain, I've corrected them now:)

2. trillbo

trillbo New Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks Daniel, those values feel much better all round. Still some light clipping, but not really a problem now. Thanks again!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Handpflegecreme

Handpflegecreme Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe raise your ingame Damper only so high, until it stops clipping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Danielkart

Yes that is a possibility. Also, the vehicle specific FFB can be used to avoid clipping (every car behaves differently). There are of course many other factors that can cause clipping. As mentioned, the main cause is wrong gain values at the base and in the game. Then FX is also an important point (but now only in the Custom Files). Damping also a little (for me personally) as little as possible to get as much pure FFB as possible. And finally, wheel choice (size, weight, leverage) all factors to increase or decrease clipping. That's why I put a lot of focus on clipping with the V80 Customs. Finding balance is the key to feeling good on the wheel and enjoying the FFB:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Is there a difference In keeping the base at 70-80% and in game at 100% compared to the reverse scenario?

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not quite the same due to clipping and the FFB signal having finite precision. A balance of things needs to be considered:
    • If the game output is too low compared to the maximum possible, then you lose FFB precision because the signal has finite precision (sort of bad).
    • If the game output is too high compared to the maximum possible and clips, then you lose information (bad).
    • If a DD wheelbase is at 100% and the game bugs out and sends maximum force, then you're getting hurt (very bad).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

New Moza pit house setting for R9 on Default. This takes care of the heavy curb strikes while maintaining road feel. Cars my individually be adjusted between 95 - 105% gain.
    upload_2023-7-4_11-31-15.png upload_2023-7-4_11-31-36.png upload_2023-7-4_11-31-15.png upload_2023-7-4_11-31-36.png

FFB Equalizer
    10HZ - 100
    15HZ - 80
    25HZ - 70
    40HZ - 60
    50HZ - 40

Linear FFB curve

In game Default. Default + also feels good with these settings.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Danielkart

I've heard this question many times. Yes, it's not the same if you reverse the gain values. I always recommend people to test it themselves while watching the FFB graph, then they will understand. I think a lot of people also take the values from "big youtubers" because they think it's right. I would be careful here, there are only a few who are really serious and credible

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

There is a big difference, depending on exact custom file you use.
    The below difference is not valid for default/default+, at least as they used to work, not 100% sure now, since I'm not in ams2 any longer.

Adjusting the base power will depend on that wheel base software, but normally will simply scale the force accordingly, so at 80% you would receive 8nm max force on a 10nm wheel base.

Using the custom files here will, generally, not limit the top end. It will instead detect that there is additional headroom/possible dynamic range, the lower you set the gain the more range, and will try to use this for better feeling of both downforce and gyro effect etc.

So:

If you prefer a more compressed experience or if you use a lower end wheel and need forces to ramp up quickly, then you should go higher on the in game gain, although 100% likely will still be too limiting on sensations.

If you have a higher end fanatec wheel base or any DD and you like a bigger range of force feel sensations, you should use lower in game gain.

In both cases you then adjust the wheel base gain to suit how strong you need it.

Combine this with lfb setting also for how fast you need the ramp up at the low end of forces.

I used to put the in game gain to something like 35-65%, lfb at some single digit setting(some times 0 even) , and the wheel base force at anywhere 15-25nm. This would give a high dynamic range, less compressed, that gives a better sense of downforce, gyro and so on. More varied and interesting.

A little more info to add to the confusion

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Danielkart

It makes me happy to hear from them again. Yes, the confusion can grow the more information there is. I think finding the right balance is the most important thing. And of course I'm happy to be able to use your FFB, especially after this big update from Reiza. There were also major changes in the file for me to adapt to the new physics. I wish you a nice time:)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Karsten, good to hear from you again !!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does this mean, maybe, he might have another little surprise for us? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Rfuktor 6

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Not likely after such along time not running ams2 , his own work will seem foreign. But the good news is , it’s not needed. The custom file works fine for 1.5 and beyond , if not better than before .

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Danielkart

Hi guys! Since in the next few weeks (due to health reasons) I will only be able to take care of the hobby simracing little or no longer, I will post the V80 files to you today. But I think it will work well for the rest of the cars too. See you later

• Friendly Friendly x 11
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Get well soon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for all your effort and I hope you get well soon.
    Drink a glass on my account, bottoms up. :D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Danielkart

As announced, I will post you my new V80 Customs.The change to another base (from dd1 to Simucube 2 pro) and the new physics of Reiza brought a lot of new experiences and insights that I can now share with you.There will be 4 files again but with a new sorting.There will no longer be any differences between belt bases and dd bases.The powers are important and that they are well coordinated with the file and the in-game and base settings.

1st file for all bases from 8-30Nm
    2nd file for all bases from 5-8Nm
    3rd file for all bases from 2-5Nm
    4. File for all bases from 8-30Nm 8 (motion-tactile file) This file gives less feedback on the wheel for people with a butt kicker or motion (of course, file 1 can still be used, that's a matter of taste)

If you're not sure which file is better for you, just test multiple files.Different bases work differently with the forces (example Logitech G-Pro 11Nm) works better with the 5-8Nm file.And of course, in the end, personal taste is the most important thing, whether it's a basic or defaults or custom file.The V80 files were mainly tested on the Nürburgring, Long Beach and Monaco and adjusted with a 30cm diameter steering wheel.

Change log for the V80 Custom files:

1. Adjusted in-game values for all files
    2. Adjusted base values for all files
    3. Addition of additional bases (values are at the beginning of the file) Fanatec dd1/dd2/ Simucube 2 Pro/ Logitech G-Pro/ Fanatec csl dd/ Fanatec 2.5
    4. Go-Karts files adapted to the V80
    5. Adapted momentum to the files (especially noticeable with high Nm peaks)
    6. Reduced tire scrubbing because it masked other good feedback
    7. Increased tire and road feedback8. New interpretation and modifications of the power steering in connection with other values.
    8. Adjusted brake weight scale (Better balance between Trucks , FWD , RWD ,4WD cars)
    9. Even better stability of the cars (very balanced and precise driving behavior)
    10. Brake tremble felt better
    11. Better braking feel
    12. Strong focus on lots of FFB feedback but as little clipping as possible.All files have been adjusted with the FFB graph.
    13. Slight adjustment of curb feel
    14. Small adjustment of understeer and oversteer (relaxation has been set to 0)
    15. Small adjustment to grip loss
    16. The hardness and excessive forces in the turns have been reduced
    17. Sliding has been reduced
    18. The center has been streamlined
    19. Center feel has been adjusted (More progressive steering)
    20. Flatspot scale was left at 0 as usual (can be adjusted in the file according to personal taste, recommended range 0 - 0.15

All files are based on my personal feelings and experiences and are specially tailored to the V80.All are just recommendations from me, of course everything can be changed according to your own taste.As always, I wish you a lot of fun with the files and fast laps on the track

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V80 from Daniel for all Bases 8-30 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V80 from Daniel for all Bases 5-8 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V80 from Daniel for all Bases 2-5 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V80 from Daniel for all Bases 8-30 Nm ( Motion-tactile File)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 20
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
  19. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi mate. Thanks for all your work on these files. Hope you get well soon. Unfortunately there is no link to your new v80 files.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope you get things sorted again, get well soon!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1